Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mercenary - Real Time Character By: Daniel Briggs

My name is Daniel Briggs, I am 22 years old. I am a character artist currently residing in Orange County, CA.

My goal was to create a character that could be rendered in real-time; One that could be used in a video game engine. I modeled a high poly sculpt using Zbrush, topogun, and 3ds max. Which I then converted to a low poly model. The entire character shares 1 UV space and the final textures were 2048*2048. Final renders were done using the Marmoset Engine.

This character is based off of a concept from Diablo 3, I wanted to make a character that stayed true to the concept, and true to the Blizzard art style. I feel like I have accomplished that.

My textures are 100% hand painted. Poly paint played a huge role in this process. Check out my website for higher res images of the textures!

www.3dbriggs.com

2.jpg
3.jpg
Turn.jpg
Turn_Wire.jpg
Wire_CloseUp.jpg
1.jpg
Wire_MidRange.jpg
This is my final high poly sculpt. The proportions are much wider than the final low-poly version. I tried to make the character seem really strong and powerful in my sculpt.
test02.jpg
CloseUp01.jpg
This is my High Poly sculpt rendered using several different mat caps, and some poly-paint. I comped everything in Photoshop and did some post work as well. This was a test to practice my hand painted textures.
PaintOver_Concept.jpg
High Poly sculpt of the character's head.
Head_HighPoly.jpg
Head_High_Textured.jpg
Originally 2048*2048 - Diffuse, Specular, Norma, Alpha
Textures.jpg
This is the concept from Diablo 3 created by Blizzard Entertainment:
Diablo_Concept.jpg

www.3dbriggs.com

Replies

• scotthomer
    Not a fan of the concept (nothing about it stands out as being unique or notable) but your execution is great. Your textures are nicely packed, although it wouldve been perhaps more realistic to break it down into body/head as separate textures if you where going for true game style (Although im not a character artist so dont quote me on that)I really like the head, shame its hidden by that helmet!

Good stuff though dude, nice work.
  • makecg
    Not really a fan of the dots on the shirt.. the other stuff looks great though.
  • ninjatofu
    I think the dots would be chain mail or scale mail rather than the pattern you have applied right now.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    the head seems a little small or maybe jammed out of proportion by the metal shielding, and it's shame one can't see it, it's a great sculpt. Also, in my opinion the specular doesn't really convey any further information about the respective materials (is the armor made of bone maybe?). Do like the handpainted textures though.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    The HP sculpt of the head looks really good. The head on the full model could use some adjustment though, he looks like hes scared. Also with the pose and lighting you've chosen it looks like the top of his helmet is floating and is not attached. Maybe you should see what it looks like w/o the helmet. Btw congrats with the hand painting, theres alot of detail in there.