Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Environment Art Test - Matt Via

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
I had hoped to have this presentable a few weeks ago, but life and work kept getting in the way. As you can see I'm still not finished. I have to texture the windows, stove pipe, and front step still. I was aiming to get the model as close to the concept image as I could and use the textures to make it unique. Please let me know what you think and where I can improve. I know I'm rapidly running out of time, but I don't plan on doing anything else until this thing is as good as I can make it.

house1.jpg

house2.jpg

house3.jpg

house4.jpg

Replies

• matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I almost forgot, it's 2984 tris when I include the grass planes. They aren't textured yet, so I just left them out for now. Also this isn't my final lighting, I just threw it together for the post.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Nice bricks. But wood beams cloud be more aged/disorted. They are to straight, which cloud be nice looking of they were made from new polished wood. Also show wires, because I can't really see where all those tris coming from.
    From this screen I can tell you cloud easily cut them from roofs, they don't need to that smooth.
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of the tris are coming from the edges of the roof and the supports under it. I originally tried making the roof all as one flat piece, but it looked flimsy, so I added the trim around the edges make it look thicker and hide the switch between the shingles and the boards underneath. It looks better, but it took a big chunk of my budget. I also deleted all of the hidden geometry and removed the grass accounts for about another 100 tris.
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took Inside's advice and aged the wood some and adjusted the geo so that the beams aren't so straight. The difference isn't too noticeable, but hopefully it improved it some.

I only have one day left to get this done and sent in, so I would really like to get some last minute advice.

house1_v2.jpg

house2_v2.jpg

house3_v2.jpg

house4_v2.jpg
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I didn't get this posted on here in time to get much feedback before the deadline, but I figured whether I get the position or not, I'd like to at least learn from doing this. These are my final renders and textures from the art test. I would really like to know what I need to improve on for future projects.

Cottage1.jpg

Cottage2.jpg

Cottage3.jpg

Cottage4.jpg

Cottage5.jpg

Cottage6.jpg

litOrthos.jpg

wireframes.jpg

unlit.jpg

ambientOcc.jpg

textureBreakdown.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good on the mesh it seems, but there's so much texture space wasted really, texel ratio could have been much higher with stacking.
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I staked some, but not enough. In my head it seemed necessary to have as many unique parts as I could, but when I made the final texture it didn't really make a difference. I'll keep that in mind next time.