Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Brendan Boyd, Modeling and Texture Artist

Hi everyone. Here's a link to my portfolio and student reel I just finished.

www.b-boyd.com

I would love to hear any feedback you guys can give me on either my work or website. Everything was rendered, so no real time yet. The point of me joining polycount was to assist making a gaming porfolio, so that's next on my list while I look for work.

I've been lurking here for a while now and can't help but notice the awesome community that polycount has going for it.

Thanks for checking my stuff out.

Replies

• SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Very impressive stuff! What you lack in quantity you make up for in quality. But, on the other hand, I feel like you should definitely add some more meat to your folio (and I'm sure you will!). As well, maybe show your texture flats and the tri counts of your models. I suggest that, with future characters, you tone down the amount of tris on the low poly if you're intending to make game models. Right now they look more like cinematic models, especially the female character.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool characters. As you said, not optimized as a game asset, so that will be good to see. As would some texture sheets. As always it's usually best to focus on a single discipline, characters or environments.

As for the website, plaster you email and contacts everywhere, it's not even in the contact section, unless it's in the resume which I didn't look at. Make it as easy as possible to contact you..gl!
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Tenchi wrote: »
    ...usually best to focus on a single discipline, characters or environments.

I agree... you are kinda caught in a limbo state atm. You don't have a significant amount of work in either. And you could use a breakdown of your environment. When I went to that page I felt really let down you only had one shot. Maybe render out some individual props from it or some close ups of your textures/details.

Your website is a bit cluttered and I find myself overwhelmed with stuff that is not artwork. Condense and clean it up. I don't agree that you should "plaster" your contact information everywhere. If you put it in an easy spot you should only need it once.

You don't need a "home" link as your bar/name at the top should link you to your home page. That is becoming so common nowadays that it is almost weird if you don't have it.

I also don't think you need that little bit about the programs you use because that should be in your resume.

As for your work... I think your demon guy with the horns is one of the coolest characters you have. And I think the chick would look a lot better without the red eyes. It kinda looks corny/cliche. It kinda kills the awesomeness of the piece for me. And you might want to diversify your work a bit. You seem to like only demonic stuff. And I think you need a lot more content. What you have is pretty good though. Would be nice if you were to convert the characters to game... though you said that is why you are here.

Hope that helps! :)

Brendanboyd.jpg
  • G_I_B_B_O_N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa: Thanks, yeah I'll be bulking up my porfolio in the coming months while I look for work. I'm planning on having both cinematic and low poly versions of my future pieces.

Tenchi: Thanks, and yes I know my portfolio needs more focus. The environment was more to appease my instructors.

jeremiah_bigley: Thanks so much for the thorough critique and taking the time to make that new website pic. I'll be using all that great feedback to clean my stuff up and broaden my portfolio.