Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HP Combat Vehicle (WIP)

UPDATE:

Complete_001.jpg

Hey Guys, with school starting I've started working on a High poly vehicle assignment. I'm about 70% done the whole vehicle. The concept has a turret on the back.

Still working on nice lighting so sorry if the shots aren't all the great. Crits and feedback are welcomed :)

Here's the Concept:

concept.jpg

WIP_HP_Vehicle.jpg

WIP_HP_Vehicle1.jpg

WIP_HP_Vehicle2.jpg

WIP_HP_Vehicle3.jpg

Replies

• OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Your hard surface modeling skills are prety good. I see a few faceted areas and some edges that will be too hard to bake. There is much more to life then omni lights!! That render is not doing you any good. There's no need to screencap a high poly model. You wont be able to achieve anything close to the level of uberness you can get from a nice MR render and some Photometric lights. Along with appropriate Photoshopping and so on. Don't waist your time playing with lighting, unless your keeping it in max, and by no means will your highpoly lighting be the same as your low poly. After finishing the turret I hope you look into using some nice Dx shaders and a decent MR render setup! This will be a valueable asset if your looking for something you can use in your portfolio for Hard surface modeling. Keep it up!!
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @OtrickP Thanks for the compliment :) I can see the few areas now. I only added s few quick omni lights and enabled viewport rendering within max to quickly get off a few screengrabs to post. I'll have the turret done soon(tomorrow hopefully) and I'll clean up the blending.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got the turret completed today, I still need to clean up some of the edges where meshes intersect though.

WIP_HP_Vehicle4.jpg

WIP_HP_Vehicle5.jpg

WIP_HP_Vehicle6.jpg
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so it's been awhile since I updated this, between a lot of things going on I was given a deadline for this for tomorrow ><

This was my first Hard surface model and all along I've kind of picked up different things, tweaked and replaced but the end result is something to be desired. Although I don't feel it's total trash there are a lot of things I have a problem with like my normal and spec maps. It was also my first with Sculpting detail in ZBrush.

All in all it was a first for a lot of things. This is where I need help. I know this model needs a lot of love but I need some real criticism to point me in the right direction.

C & C plz !

Complete_001.jpg

Complete_002.jpg

CombatVehicle_Diff.jpg

CombatVehicle_Norm.jpg

CombatVehicle_Spec.jpg
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at it from another monitor, the colors look very dull. They were a lot more vibrant on my other pc.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    The textures are also really muddy. They don't have any definition and it is hard to tell what the material is.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was trying to go for a grunge metal, I just slapped a cloud render and bit of noise hoping the spec and normal map would help. :S
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    watch this:
    http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/photoshop/how-to-hand-paint-convincing-metal-textures/

btw, wheels seem to have unnaturally sharp edges on the low poly.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link, I I did chamfering the edges and play with smoothing groups, but I ended up welding to edges together to make the side of the tires easier to texture.