Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gorilla

I'm working on this gorilla. There are several spots in the topology of the body that I'm not happy with. I guess the face is ok?
Tips and critique are very welcome!

I'm going to rig they guy with a rather simple setup, btw.

BandarSharma_Gorilla_WIP1.jpg

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bandar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to use it for IMVU in the first place. So he's going to get a handpainted diffuse map and only a couple of animations. The polycount is rather high already, but I guess it's ok for the purpose.

The pose is only for modeling convenience. I might adjust it a bit before rigging and then see which poses I can come up with after that. Perfect realism isn't my goal anyway, some degree of comic style is fine. I was also thinking about making the arms even bigger...
    However you are right that it looks a bit too human. I actually used mostly human references, since I didn't find detailed images of gorilla muscle anatomy. I used gorilla skeletons though.

Maybe I should smooth the muscles anyway since they are coverd with hair...
  • Bandar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeriyakiStyle, you were right, something WAS wrong with the general body shape. It wasn't the belly or butt, but the rib cage... it's way bigger from the side. I used a skeleton reference that showed the ribcage from the front only in the beginning. Pulling out the breast immediately changed the look a lot. So thanks for the hint!

I also changed a good deal of the topology. Suggestions for improvement I still very welcome.

Added the legs and feet. Hands will follow tomorrow.

BandarSharma_Gorilla_WIP2.jpg
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. His legs seem too short, but I'm not looking at reference. I also thought they had a weird cone head, more pronounced than what you've got.

I hope you stylize him more and make those arms and hands humongous. His feet would also need to be a lot bigger if you go that route.
  • Bandar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The length of the legs is according to several references. These guys have really short legs :)

The shape of the head is also traced after some reference, but I think you are right a little more cone might look better. Will try that and see how it looks.

Feet and Hands... I think I'll go for comic there. The overall size of the feet seems ok to me, but for comic style I'd have to make the toes less pointy and fatter. The hands are going to be bigger than real ones for sure :)

Edit: Here is a quick testrender with a toon shader. The size of the head seems fine, but the arms and shoulders... maybe bigger? If I make them bigger I might run into deformation issues later, wouldn't I?

BandarSharma_Gorilla_ComicTest1.jpg
  • Bandar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I more or less finished modeling, unwrapped and started with rigging. Here is the model so far. I rendered an AO pass as diffuse and will paint the final texture once I'm happy with the rig.
    I decided to make the legs longer as Rojo suggested. The cone head worked as soon as I tried to make it thinner from the back insted from the front, wich I tried first...

Thanks for the advice so far!

BandarSharma_Gorilla_WIP3.jpg