Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Worklog. BreaK-

Replies

• BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, thanks Jessica. Love your work btw. :D

Yeah the "new" tag on the cargo crate won't go away! Its the site not me. Can't get rid of it....ill have more of a play around.

Yeah im not sure the wip stuff either. Probably take it down.

Thanks for your feedback!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    You're welcome! The wip does look nice though btw. Finishhh it :]
  • lewist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread is really inspiring. You're churning out a lot of really great props and your implementation of the feedback you've been getting is making your work even better. Keep it up! :)
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh cheers man. Working on an enviro atm. Hopefully get some work done and up here soon. Battlefields new map packs aint helping anything at the minute. Thanks for the good words. It helps :)
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Nice improvement. While little white scratch are really fun to paint, it must have a certain purpose on it. If you look at some photo reference, the damages are more rusty and bumpy. Add more rust at some strategic places, where it can "historically" being damaged.

http://containersalesandrentals.com/images/photos/container%20sales%20and%20rentals%2020%20foot%20grove%20oklahoma.jpg

http://blogformovers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/40ft_db_container_in_stock.3320732.JPG

Low down the glossiness, this kind of metal isn't super reflective.
    http://cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=26820&PHPSESSID=ngptfi0vg4hnof2rv9dec23c00

Also, some leaking may be good to add too, subtlety.
    http://cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=29790&PHPSESSID=ngptfi0vg4hnof2rv9dec23c00
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your help guys. Not posted here for a while due to xmas and family stuff. Back on it now and need some help from you guys.

Ok sooo Maya question....I'm baking out a knife at the minute and need to flip some UV's to the -1 in the UV editor. So far I've not been able to find the option which does this. I can flip the UV's about their own axis, but not to the -1.

Does anyone know how to do this. I've seen it done in max with a click of a button!

Thanks again!
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK guys, heres a knife I've worked on for prolly about 8 hours in total. Messing with normals for the majority of that!

Knife.jpg

This is just a normal applied, no AO. ATM.

Im having a small problem though, its baking a little strange on the point indicated below. In maya, it looks fine but in Marmoset its showing a dividing line where one of the edges is. This is affecting the way the lighting reacts with the normals.

Error.jpg

The oval indent has been done in NDo2, and the line even shows through this! The normal map looks fine obv, with no line visible.....

You guys got any ideas.

Thanks for your help. :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Spread out your verts a bit more, right now you've got a bunch of very thin/narrow triangles. Those are what cause the sudden change. It's not a line, it's a tiny shading gradient.
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Spread out your verts a bit more, right now you've got a bunch of very thin/narrow triangles. Those are what cause the sudden change. It's not a line, it's a tiny shading gradient.

Yeah I knida knew it was due to this but there is a slight curve up the top of the blade, which is why the verts are close together. I don't really know how I could spread them out more, If I do the curve will lose its shape...if you get what I mean. I'll have to have a play around.

Thanks man.
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed it. :)

Knife-1.jpg

Gonna get working on the texture asap.

Any crits so far are welcome. :) Infact I'd love some + or -.

Thanks.
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so tonight I've worked on the blade. Obviously its a modern knife, but I wanted to wear up the blade a little, as if its got wet, and dried and began to corrode somewhat, but not enough to rust. Tried my best with black corrosion marks but dont really know if I've pulled it off. May add rust yet, not too sure.

Blade-1.jpg

Small update.

Blade2.jpg

Got the brass texture done. Not too sure if its totally finished as yet. Might need to mess around with things.

The handle will be a matte plastic, but im struggling to get it totally matte. Ive edited the spec/gloss and its still shining in parts. Any ideas how to get the matte look??

Again, I could do with some crit to help me progress as an artist, so blast me with it.... good or bad!

Thanks!
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, near the end of this. Just a gloss map to whip up.Still stuggling with getting gloss maps right to be honest. Normally they take a lot of the pop away. Maybe its something I'm not doing right. I know they generally do this anyway but...bah i dont know. I'll do one and see what its like.

Here it is atm. Diffuse/Spec/Normal. Struggling with the rubber grip too...

Let me know if theres anything you see that aint right. Thanks!

Blade5.jpg

Thought about doing a 1940's aircraft nose paint thingy too. Not too sure on this though.

Blade3.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Break, both the crate and the knife are looking solid, I'm a bit surprised that you aren't getting more crits but I guess that a lot of folks are like me and have nothing specific to add to what you are already doing..I think that you are in the rinse repeat stage of your development....I love that you took Racers crit and ran with it though, big step-up on the textures man> I'm looking forward to your next piece...( not too keen on the nose art though, I guess that you will have to make an aircraft to go with it :D)
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Seth. Yeah I guess you're right with the rinse and repeat comment. If I improve by each model I do I'm happy, just want to keep moving forward.

Ok so I'm calling this done, unless someone has something to say about this texture. Again I really appreciate feedback to help me improve, so the more the merrier.

Here goes.

Blade7.jpg
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys.

First of all. Has anyone got any crit on this Knife texture before I call it done. Its kinda missing something atm and I cant put my finger on it. Tweaked the maps best I could I i dont know If i've nailed the metals just yet. I'd love some input.

Secondly, I'm jumping into creating a small enviro. Just a corridor atm, but here are some low poly bakes. Just in maya's viewport atm.

3-17.jpg

Pieces.jpg

Original mass effect 2 concept here.

concept_work.jpg

Just want to test my hand at modular enviro's and finally make the plunge into UDK.

Thanks for taking a look. :)
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.break-art.com/projects/4130998#2

Could do with some final crit on this guys. Thanks. :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    too many scratches i would say, maybe approach it more naturally. give some story to the texture altho, it's just a Knife... good so far.

Maple%20Carbon%20Bowie.jpg
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alberto. I might re-work it once I have some time, but don't scratches give it some story? I might reduce them a little though.

Moving on to my environment, I'm having a little trouble with the scale in UDK. Are there any "standard" sizes for corridors that you enviro artists stick by? I'm wanting the walls/floor/ceiling to be modular but ATM I think I'm over-thinking the UDK block out sizes in relation to fitting perfectly on texture sheets. (If that makes sense).

I would really love some help on this. Thanks guys. :)
  • Reale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    Remember that sci-fi corridor you did? :poly136: nice thread ... just needs more! nerd.gif