sp4.jpg
c&c welcome
jolly3dgiant.com

Replies

• jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Coming along! I think the only thing left to really push this is some variation in your textures. A lot of your textures are noticeably tiled and need some grunge/damage.

Could stand a little bit more values. Everything is stuck mostly in your darks and it is creating sort of a dull image.

Would also be nice if posted a link to your website instead of making us type/look for it.

Keep it coming! Plan on making changes to it or are you done?
  • james567
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I plan on making the grunge changes and a little value adjustment, then i'm moving on. thanks for the feedback, i haven't added decals yet because time didn't allow.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    26,000 tris for your Pod.......................

So now that I'm on lunch I can critique this fer realz. Here's the biggest problem that bugs me. Your renders are really noises and jaggy and just hard to look at. I can't tell whether it's the anti Aliasing that is making it hard to focus or just your texture work...but looking at some of your wood textured stuff it seems you just go heavy on the brushed metal.
    Do you do any high to low baking? Because the way you set up your low poly props it seems like you don't. You model out every detail that can be easily done with a good bake. I also don't like how in your portfolio a lot of your props are just small on the layout and hard to see the detail. Especially your maps. Your normal maps look like just a blue box to me. Go big, man and don't be afraid, So we can look at every detail you do.

For the Gateway I'd delete the part about your scene taking five weeks..because to me it just seems like A couple days worth of work. That hard edge on the left wall isn't doing you any favors, also.

Your rock wall...Pretty tri heavy and the colors are a bit washed out. It seems like you just took the photo and slapped it on there.

I'm assuming you went to Ai San Diego by looking at your SOE Free Realms stuff, you are very broad on what you did for that scene. It'd be nice if you showed at least some individual assets that you worked on or made it more clear what you did specifically.

Overall, man..everything just seems super photo sourced and like you just did a Crazybump (or as my teacher called it..Lazybump) filter over all your diffuses. There is no clear material definition and all your assets are WAY too poly heavy. I'd think about figuring out the best methods for creating a high poly to low poly workflow and dividing all your Tri counts by 4 or maybe 5 on your assets. You do have the basics down, thats the hardest step. You just REALLY need to go the extra mile in order to make all your stuff work. I'm not being a dick (it may come off that I am) but I just want to see my fellow San Diego Ai kids succeed so I am being brutally honest because at this stage at your looking at your work... I wouldn't hire you. But don't give up! Take it as a challenge and make something awesome!
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Your work is above average for student work coming out of an Ai school, and you obviously have a grasp on a lot of the game art creation workflows.

That being said, you have some work left to be done to become much more appealing to game studios.

I think jeremiah_bigley hit the nail on the head with the darks comment. Try adding some ambient light in your environment. It's simply way too dark atm. Lighten things up but still keep some good lighting contrast in the scene.

Same with his suggestion on decals and breaking up the photosourcy look of your textures.

I think the biggest problem is your work is your geo optimization. A lot of your tri counts are INSANLY high for what's being put into games today. ErichWK is very right, 26,000 is pretty crazy for a drop pod thingy like that. The modeling looks as though it was that of a blockout model that was never cleaned up for a game, since you can see edge loops continues all through the model in numerous areas where it should be simplified. If you're up to, try and get that prop down to like 2,500 tris or so.

As far as the site itself, it's laid out fine, and pretty easy to navigate, so nice job on that.

My last suggestion is to get rid of the white silhouette dude on your website logo name header thing. Your're obviously not a graphic designer, so stick with some simple text, and you'll look much more like a professional ;-)
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    omg Erich, we posted at the same time. About 20 yards away from each other. hahaha