Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

city scene

hey there. i'm fairly new to 3D modeling but getting the hang of Maya, it's cool! :) i did this scene and lit it with mental ray. i'm only a few days into learning lighting and i believe it's still odd looking... D=

i'm looking for feedback on lighting as well as impression of the models. i am trying to keep it fairly simple but with a good style. (gameplay is more important than graphics to me, but i'm crazy and want good graphics too.) the engine for this game is mostly done, i'm just working on all the graphics. (edit: it's a 2D game btw, not 3D.) i'm the only one involved in this project so i need to keep moving but don't want to skimp on quality.

thank you kindly for any feedback.

(sorry the girl has no clothes, they're not modeled yet. but she is rigged and has about 12 animations so far. also the trees are animated where the branches sway slightly, as well as the fountain, and other things.)

newerLight.jpg

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    You know, I really like the art style and the colors and the foliage. The lighting is fine, but It won't matter because you are moving this to an engine. The only thing though is it doesn't look like a city at all. Kinda looks like a sexy grotto.
  • danny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks ErichWK! btw, the engine is 2D, sorry... not 3D. it appears 3D but is composed of layered 2D images. so i will be able to keep the lighting. besides that i'm lazy to learn 3D game design. hehe, nah it's not a city. okay let's make the post subject "sexy grotto" :D

edit: cannot change subject wahh.
  • danny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more specific questions for anyone looking...

how is the light?
    how is the foliage?
    does it need more character?
    does it look like an appealing RPG you'd like to play?