Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Chaos WIP

Ahniketos
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Ahniketos polycounter lvl 9
Hey Polycount!

Just want to share with you guys what I have so far on a project im doing
Im looking for some feedback and critiques if possible =)

Heres the concept

0507ca08.jpg

Heres what i have so far

pmchaos.jpg

Also does anyones know what i can do with tiledshot in udk because it destroys my light shafts? Is their another way of getting high resolution shots with the light shafts in them?

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    make it look good without lightshafts. problem solved ;)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i dont think that first image was big enough, do you have anything in a higher resolution?
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    I think it looks good, good execution from concept to tangible environment. I think it's just missing some depth into it, Z-depth perhaps? I also think the lights you are using are drowning out the architectural details, maybe too much warm ambient lighting? or are you really aiming for this style on purpose?

I'm not quite sure, what's going on, it's probably just mostly lighting issues?
  • line726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    line726 polycounter lvl 7
    looking great~!
    I am so proud of you
  • Oiban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oiban polycounter lvl 6
    looking great! really clos to the concept!

Only issue i can see is the yellow gold like material, I buy in the part with the skulls, but I dont in the arrows spikes etc

Perhaps some dirt, grunge etc in the bottom will help, you have blood and dirt in the walls coming from the roof, but none in the floor, I think it could use some, specially in the parts where the wall meets the floor. And some scratches etc lets call it weathering in this areas would help too, if we assume this is not a brand new hallway this areas close to the floor would get more scratches etc due to human use. Just check your room, any object is almost always more dirty, scratched etc in the bottom than it is on the top part.

anyway! In general is looking awesome!
  • maonlyart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Daniel, more grime where surfaces meet along the floor. I looked for that ceiling claw and you hid it all the way back there, bring it forward like in the original composition.

To the left, there are gold spikes going into a grayish material, i think showing how they connect, like some kind of indent on the gray wall that might have indicated to the builders "put spikes in these slots". In the concept there is a rim around the bottom of each spike. That accomplishes the same thing.

What's your poly? I just wondered if you are gearing this to MMO or console.

ANYWAY, I'm so glad to see you continue to work on stuff, keep going I know you have the resources to improve even further.

This is really impressive. See, already you are doing work ALONE better than what we graduated with together!

Keep us updated!
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    Here's a crummy paintover of suggestions. Everything is looking really good, super close to the reference. however in some spots, possibly too close without some of the essence. Some of the spikes and such could all use some slight rotations, movement. just minor amounts to make sure the whole thing feels a bit more lively and less "3d". the concept already has that livelyness just in being less accurate and painted. also your textures dont feel real enough, too heavy handed and they lack believable detail.

Much of the paintover was to give a little more focus, and some more atmosphere. more smoke, more fire tendrils, and a smoke haze to the light beams.

Also you're getting some really heavy aliasing on your edges, might wanna look at starting some anti aliasing to help compensate.

It's mostly more polish that needs to happen now, to really make it great. Glad to see you already are pushing new art out too! Really great to see, keep going!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Paul, I actually worked on this Dungeon for WAR, so I can give you some insight on a few things.

First of all, look up 'warhammer khorne', you can get a lot of palette, material, and symbology correct.

The large wall pieces on the left are the 'symbol of khorne', your interpretations are a bit loose and stubby.

The gray material should be a somewhat grundgey, darker marble (with a specular to reveal stacks of skulls of you want to be spot on).

Model in that hanging cage!

less low chains in the distance.

clutter the floor a tad with fallen chains/hooks

Floor material is too clean. Break it up with cracks and destruction. Giant beasts roam these halls.

Skulls on side trim are flat, and don't fill the background. These should appear as stacked skulls, tightly packed into the trim area. No flat, unused space.

Detail, dirt, AO, etc, to fill in those corners/edges where materials converge, especially floor/wall transitions.

Gold could be more gold. Reflective, shiny, hot spots

Model those arrows out on the wall. It's really flat looking
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Slightly taller, and a kind of black fog... making it darker in the distance to help give it that sense of depth, rather than tiling for eternity.

Nice work though really matching the concept pretty well so far.