Home Technical Talk

Maya - Parent Constraint Question

Hello!!

I've recently bumped into a bit of an issue regarding parent constraints. However, I am not sure if using a parent constraint in this instance is the right way to go about the procedure I'm performing. Here is the situation:

I've made a human head, and I have a joint which connects to the lower jaw (from a small joint system). I have painted skin weights on the head mesh so that the lower jaw opens nice and gently as I rotate the joint which is connected to it, up and down.

I have created a set of teeth, which consists of two parts (upper gum / lower gum). The upper gum was easy to parent to the head, but the lower gum is difficult:

The problem is that the painted skin weights don't move consistently with the lower jaw joint, as the value of the paint (if you will) is below a value of 1.0 in many areas. When I parent the lower gums to the jaw joint and rotate, the gums move at the same speed as the joint (which is natural). However, I would like to delay the lower gums inside the mouth, so that they move half the speed of the joint, thus moving in sync with the lips on the head mesh (which are skin weighted).

Anyone know how I can do that?

EDIT: Pic may help :).

oHyah.jpg

Thanks in advance,

- Andr

Replies

• claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    You could use the weight attribute on the constrain node.
    add another target(null) to the constraint with the jaw's position @ it's relaxed state.
    Keeping the weight attribute of that null target at 1...
    Lower the original weight to a value lower than 1 till the teeth no longer penetrate.
  • Andr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough wrote: »
    You could use the weight attribute on the constrain node.
    add another target(null) to the constraint with the jaw's position @ it's relaxed state.
    Keeping the weight attribute of that null target at 1...
    Lower the original weight to a value lower than 1 till the teeth no longer penetrate.

Hey! Thanks,

I believe I understand everything except for the first part:
    Hm... :poly127: I'll keep trying!

EDIT: This issue has been solved; the lower jaw was bound to the joint through smooth skin bind.

Thanks again,

- Andr