Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My second model, first time doing diffuse texturing. Need some ruthless critism.

All this is mouse drawn in a gimp and mostly using 1998 version of Picture Publisher 8. Trying to use gimp more for obvious reasons. Comments/criticism welcome. Since this is my first real texture, I am still learning. I am not an artist and haven't attempted to draw anything like this before. Took me about a week+ from scratch looking at the UVMap. I am doing this for fun to learn and see what I can do.

wirem.jpg

sidedn.jpg

backph.jpg

frontfc.jpg

topdown.png
frontmm.png

My vision of her and what I ended up with were two completely different things, since I didn't use any concept art or schematics.

My goal was to create a low poly model. A few questions to go along with it all.

Texture Map size, I used a 1024x1024 for the entire model. Is this to large for gaming? If I were to run 10 of these models in an environment would that be to much?

Normal Mapping, afaik, just adds depth perception, but can an artist achieve that the same results though a diffuse if their good enough? Or, is there something about those maps that do something to lighting?

Still in the dark about alot of things. Tutorials only get you so far. If you were going to higher me, what would you say about this model.

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there,
    since I didn't use any concept art or schematics.
    No reference? You always want reference...especially if your just starting out.
    Texture Map size, I used a 1024x1024 for the entire model. Is this to large for gaming? If I were to run 10 of these models in an environment would that be to much?
    No. Main characters are often 2048x2048.
    Normal Mapping, afaik, just adds depth perception, but can an artist achieve that the same results though a diffuse if their good enough? Or, is there something about those maps that do something to lighting?
    Normal maps don't just add depth the same way as painted shadows/highlights. It tells lighting to bounce differently off of the model, so when the model moves/rotates or a light moves, the shadows/highlights will be affected as well. Take a gander at the reference in the Polycount wiki for more info/tutorials about normal mapping.
    If you were going to higher me, what would you say about this model.
    Your not exactly hireable yet, honestly. Keep practicing though. Take a read through the polycount wiki, theres lots of good info in there.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    How about showing us some texture sheets?
  • PSG_Mud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    How about showing us some texture sheets?

Sure,
    Its sloppy, though.

terrauvv6.png

Edit, the bottom right boot is not suppose to be there. Its suppose to be under the top left boot.

gsokol wrote: »
    No reference? You always want reference...especially if your just starting out.

What if you're not an artist? :(
    No. Main characters are often 2048x2048.
    Hmm, not sure if I still understand what you're saying. Main character could imply something like a Mass Effect game, or do you mean like TF2 main characters?
    I know TF2 is popular here, what size sheets do they use? Or, CoD texture sheets.
    Normal maps don't just add depth the same way as painted shadows/highlights. It tells lighting to bounce differently off of the model, so when the model moves/rotates or a light moves, the shadows/highlights will be affected as well. Take a gander at the reference in the Polycount wiki for more info/tutorials about normal mapping.
    I will look thanks, loads of information I don't quite grasp yet though. I am a hands on person myself. An Artists mind, that is not an artist lol.
    Your not exactly hireable yet, honestly. Keep practicing though.
    What things stuck out the most for you to say that? That is what I really am after here. Other than, mapping normals, AO, etc.
  • mminnitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mminnitt polycounter lvl 10
    Is that... Emma Watson's face?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you're just starting out, I recommend losing the photo-sourced face and painting it yourself. It'll help you develop some much needed skills as well as matching in bettwe with the rest of the model.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    mminnitt wrote: »

I actually think it is! ^^

Are you going to use a specular map as well, or will this be all-diffuse?
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall, the texture is a bit too "muddy", but as you said that mostly due to drawing with a mouse and that you are starting out.
    You might want to try, for hard surface armor like this, to do initial line work with something like Inkscape with vectors. This allows you more fine control over the lines, and to adjust them on the fly without having to draw them over and over by hand.
    I say Inkscape because its a free package :)
    http://inkscape.org/
    Try it out, you might like the control it gives you over planing out initial seams, cuts and detailing that you can then take into Gimp and paint over.

And as gsokol pointed out, you always want to find some reference if you can.
    Its amazing what you can find just by simple keywords on google or bing, and not only will it give you a reference point look wise, but it will also speed up your creative process once you start painting since you have a general idea of what your stuff could look like.
  • PSG_Mud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mminnitt wrote: »

Guilty, still a drawing though.
    You should buy a tablet. Or if you can't afford one... steal one.

You say you're not an artist... what do you mean by that? Because you also say you want to get hired... as an artist? It will be hard to get hired as an artist if you aren't one...

Nice work for only your second model. To be clear you did model this right? Your first paragraph seemed strangely worded.

Yes sorry, entire thing is draw and modeled by myself. The only thing I guess you could say I used was an Emma Watson drawing I used as a reference to draw my own eyes, nose and mouth, as projected it onto the model.

Tablet like an ipad? For drawing? Are only the expensive ones worth buying?

I mean, looking at creative people, I can tell you I am no where in their league when it comes to being creative. I guess we're all artists, but some like myself, just don't have the creative side tapped. I enjoyed making the model, I find it extremely entertaining, especially when trying to be efficient with polygons. But, texturing I find frustrating mentally to be creative.

Sorry, I was just trying to say I wanted criticism as if I were you were judging me based on that work. I don't have any intent at the moment to enter into the industry, since my whole goal was just to enjoy learning new things.
    Disting wrote: »
    I actually think it is! ^^

Are you going to use a specular map as well, or will this be all-diffuse?

I had to google specular map. Not quite sure how to do that quite yet.
    Gusti wrote: »
    Overall, the texture is a bit too "muddy", but as you said that mostly due to drawing with a mouse and that you are starting out.
    You might want to try, for hard surface armor like this, to do initial line work with something like Inkscape with vectors. This allows you more fine control over the lines, and to adjust them on the fly without having to draw them over and over by hand.
    I say Inkscape because its a free package :)
    http://inkscape.org/
    Try it out, you might like the control it gives you over planing out initial seams, cuts and detailing that you can then take into Gimp and paint over.

And as gsokol pointed out, you always want to find some reference if you can.
    Its amazing what you can find just by simple keywords on google or bing, and not only will it give you a reference point look wise, but it will also speed up your creative process once you start painting since you have a general idea of what your stuff could look like.

Really great post thanks for the tips. Vectors really seem nice to use. But, I guess my question would be how to deal with UVMap distortion when vectors are just point to point and no bending.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    PSG_Mud wrote: »

Tablet like an ipad? For drawing? Are only the expensive ones worth buying?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL460-Bamboo-Pen-Tablet/dp/B002OOWC3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315679725&sr=8-1[/ame] bestbuy has the model model for a similar price.
  • PSG_Mud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I got some time to mess around with specular. Basically, all the shading detail I did in diffuse was in vein? Should I of used the specular to highlight the model with light for me instead? Will try to get back to you guys with an updated model. But, my harddrive decided it wanted to have bad sectors, thus having to repair through dos... hope I don't lose anything.

Can anyone else give me some feedback on what I should do to make this model/texture more presentable?
    ZacD wrote: »

Thanks, I will look around at a few pawn shops. Might beable to find one in the future.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Sorry if this a pointless crit, but please don't use her face. Personally I find it really distracting, instead of looking at the model I am just looking at the face asking myself who that is. Just follow other peoples advice here, for a second model I think it's pretty good tho.
  • PSG_Mud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if this a pointless crit, but please don't use her face. Personally I find it really distracting, instead of looking at the model I am just looking at the face asking myself who that is. Just follow other peoples advice here, for a second model I think it's pretty good tho.

This better?

New face I drew in gimp. Tried adding in some noise to make it look more realistic. But, shes so pale I don't think it matters. You know, I haven't really drawn anything since early highschool and I was surprised I could draw this tbh. Alot of blur, but does the job I think. I like this face better I think.

face1f.jpg

91983937.jpg

27377825.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    something good to do, helped me a lot when I was painting diffuse maps back in the day:

try setting your material to 100% self illumination. The idea with painted diffuse is you want to paint in the lighting. (but only on older style models like this one). you have to do a lot of squinting, and looking at it from the standpoint of, "does this look right? or wrong?" and adjust accordingly.

your model is a bit old school- but in my opinion, doing exercises things like this really help you understand the fundamentals.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    The new face looks way better now. I like the Samus inspired suit design. The shapes need more defining by way of shadows/highlights and working on the lines like Gusti mentioned should help.
  • Ouija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fix the hair, it doesn't look right at all. It could use additional layers and some transparency masking. You might want to change the color to a different shade, this one is complete eye rape. Consider this or maybe this instead, and if you're going pure diffuse - paint in some more shading.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    bamboo pen tablets are $69 from bestbuy
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    I think watching this video may help give you some insight and inspiration on ways you can approach this model.

Part 1:
    http://vimeo.com/5820395

Part 2:
    http://vimeo.com/5821890

It's a video of Slipgatecentral texturing a character bust. When I watched it all of those missing pieces clicked together and I tried a completely different approach/pipeline as to how I was texturing my characters.

EDIT:

Also as painful as it sounds, you may want to take a second pass on refining your UVs on the model. It may help you in the long run as well ^_^ Not mandatory, but something I recommend.

The good news is all your detail is salvageable; what you can do is make a cope of your model. Then edit and refine the copy's UVs for a more optimized layout.

You can then bake the texture information of your old model, onto the copy's revised UVs - You may have to do some cleanup, but I imagine you're going to do more work overall on the model for some added polish based on the feedback you're getting here.

I also recommend turning off your lights and anti aliasing. Follow the specs here. While this is a mid range model, this will help you a LOT when it comes to texturing:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=779753&postcount=1