Home General Discussion

Any 2D art or 3D modelling workshops in Toronto?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Hi, I am interested in learning and developing my skills in anything related to concept art, illustration, 3D modelling, animation, etc. There has been lots of amazing artwork and models that inspired me to wanting to pursue this study.

This is something that I've always wanted to learn formally in a classroom or taught by a tutor. I've tried searching for relevant workshops near Toronto but most of them appear to be in the US. Some of the related programs in colleges near my residence last for about two years and I was hoping there might be something offered part-time or in just one year.

I have tried learning on my own and seeking some private tutoring on improving my drawing and painting skills, but it seems rare to find anywhere that teaches specifically the kind of art I want in a digital media sense, using software like Photoshop, Painter, Maya, etc.

I'm curious where a lot of talented artists who are currently professionals or freelancers get their education from, and what helped and motivated them to get to their level. It's very hard learning what seems like a niche study in this society, especially by myself.

Thank you any help and advice.

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've just recently moved to Toronto to study a Fine Arts program, but I also found this school last week and may do a few of their courses during the summer.

http://tsa-art.ca/

I'm also headed to this in October: http://www.schoolism.com/workshop.php

If I spot anything else in the Toronto area, I'll be sure to let you know.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    TSA has some good courses :D i go there to do life drawing sessions in the summer\

edit: 3D wise..i'm willing to know more too
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hey cool to hear about the TSA. I'd been wondering for a while about a good place that offers drop-ins for life drawing. I see it says $10 a session on the site, so it's really just show up at the start, pay the fee, and sit down and draw? Do they get a good variety of models? Any more info about them would be stellar, thanks :D
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz, I plan on doing the drop-in life drawing classes a fair bit instead of waiting for the summer courses to roll around. I'll definitely let you know what they're like. Unless you find out from someone else before that, of course :P
    Though a Polycount crew heading out to some of classes would be rad, or maybe organising a weekly/fortnightly sketch group somewhere downtown?
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, I'd appreciate muchly! Formal life drawing classes might be the art butt-kick I need. (I've been doing some drawing on and off at this site http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php and while I love it dearly, it's still not the same thing)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Mezz, I plan on doing the drop-in life drawing classes a fair bit instead of waiting for the summer courses to roll around. I'll definitely let you know what they're like. Unless you find out from someone else before that, of course :P
    Though a Polycount crew heading out to some of classes would be rad, or maybe organising a weekly/fortnightly sketch group somewhere downtown?

I'll be up for the weekly sketch gathering. =/
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    Hey cool to hear about the TSA. I'd been wondering for a while about a good place that offers drop-ins for life drawing. I see it says $10 a session on the site, so it's really just show up at the start, pay the fee, and sit down and draw? Do they get a good variety of models? Any more info about them would be stellar, thanks :D

yea you just show up and pay $10, they do have variety of models! and its good to see all the people using different mediums, you learn alot
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

PC crew sketch group would be awesome lol
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I applied for an apartment today, so if the application goes through, I'd be happy to host random sketch groups at my place from time to time, or we could meet up at a coffee shop/diner or something as well.

Mezz, a friend from class suggested this one other life drawing place and is cheaper than TSA and she mentioned that she enjoyed going there a lot more than TSA. I'll be checking it possibly next weekend, so I'll post my thoughts.

If any of you are keen to join me over the weekends, send me a PM or something or shoot me an e-mail (or Facebook/Google+/MSN me - PM me for details).
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the info, Jungsik!

And thanks Emil, I'd love to know some info about this other place too!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    hmm, there is a library at young and St.clare. I am sure if we ask them that we can sit down and have a art jam session there, they wouldn't mind or (by one out of one million cases) they would ask for a minimum cost. Assuming that no one have ever done this in the library. Or coffee shops would work, but maximum sitting time limit is 20-30 mins.