Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Comicon '11: Lady Cobra, the Space Pirate

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
Hey all! I decided to throw my hat into the ring and enter this year's Comicon Challenge (despite being quite busy with school, working on my portfolio and whatnot), but I haven't really been getting as much feedback as I would like from my thread at GameArtisans so I was hoping you guys might be more helpful.

The character I'm making is a female version of Cobra the Space Pirate, protagonist of the classic manga Space Adventure COBRA. Here's a drawing to give an idea of where I'll be going:
femcobra-group.jpg

The picture on the left shows Cobra in his original outfit, and on the right a couple of possible alterations. Women in Cobra's universe are not known their modest fashion sense, to say the least, so ideally I want to go with an outfit that embodies that, while still keeping the character recognisable as Cobra. I'm undecided for now but I'd be happy to listen to any feedback you guys might have.

Since I was in dire need of some hard surface stuff for my portfolio, I decided to start with making the gun - which I have since finished. For now it has its own UVs and textures, but I will be redoing the UVs and tweak the textures once the character is done so I can fit it all in one texture sheet. So although it's in a sense "done", I'm very open to any feedback you might have for when I revisit it. Here's what it looks like now:
python6.jpg

Finally, I've started work on the basemesh for the character. The only things left, more or less, is to build the hands, and adjust the mesh so it's in a more relaxed pose. There is still time for adjustments though, so if you see any glaring problems with the anatomy, proportions, edgeloop flow etc etc, please let me know before I've totally painted myself into a corner.

basewip1.jpg
basewip_face.jpg

OK, that's about it for now, here's hoping you lot will be able to provide some valuable feedback. Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Gun looks awesome.
    check the shoulders they look a bit wide
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed about the shoulders, they are accurate to the reference I'm using but I thought they looked a bit on the wide side as well. I'll have to make sure to adjust the shoulder/hip ratio. Thanks.
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After some delays due to sickness and other unfortunate circumstances, I've finally started working on the sculpt... I'm starting to seriously doubt whether I'll be able to make the deadline, but I'm determined to finish the model whether I make it on time or not. Of course I'm aiming to submit on time, and I haven't quite given up yet! ;)

Perhaps somewhat foolishly I've decided to use this as an opportunity to learn ZBrush, so it feels like I'm spending equal amounts of time sculpting and wrestling with the interface, but hopefully I'll learn something from it at least. Here is the sculpt as of now:
    sculptwip1.jpg

And here's a closeup of the face:
    sculptwip2.jpg

It's obviously quite unfinished, and I'm aware of some problems (the eyes look creepy as hell, for instance), but I could really really use some pointers on whatever needs work. It's the first time I attempt a full body sculpt like this so I would be very grateful for any kind of feedback. Any opinions on the outfit would be cool too!
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    The proportions are really throwing me off. I want to say the head feels really small. Then I want to say from the waist up feels really small. I understand you are going for a stylized female but I think the hips you have going on look more like "Mom" hips rather than I am going to stomp you into the ground sexy woman hips... The butt kinda has this droopiness to it that supports that mom look. lol

The rear deltoids really need to be buffed up. The front delts have a really nice toned bulk to them and the rear delts and back look like they belong to a 12 year old.

I think you should start off by scaling the entire upper body up and go from there :)

Keep up the good work!
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't checked the proportions but did so after reading your post - turns out she was almost exactly 8 heads tall which I think should fall within acceptable ranges, but it might be on the small side I guess. Like you mentioned though the tiny upper body might've made the proportions just look a bit weird overall - either way I hope you would agree she look much better now:

sculptwip5.jpg

sculptwip6.jpg

There's something that's still bothering me about the shape of the ribcage, but I can't quite figure out what, or what to do about it. Overall I'm very happy with the direction things are taking though, not least the face which is actually starting to look somwhat human! I've definitely learnt a few lessons that I'll be able to apply whenever I make another base mesh for a character, but despite some issues I'd say things are going better than I expected.
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked some more on the sculpt, hopefully fixing some anatomy errors.

sculptwip7.jpg