Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Messiah Cyclops Animation

polycounter lvl 7

Replies

• Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of to a good start there, but personally I would adjust a few things.

-The very start feels like it lacks inertia and a little more weight. The character looks burly, but doesn´t feel like it, atleast not enough to really sell it.

-I´d adjust the jump to a forward/downwards drop, like he´s using built up inertia to slope the fall, and not jump up as he gets off the box. When jumping downwards, we generally try to make the fall easier and shorter, and not add to it by jumping upwards first unless its to jump over something.

- The landing could use more weight, like having him contract more as he hits the ground, take a slight mis-step, put and hand down to balance the fall and then use the inertia from the jump to get back up and moving again. Think of it like a soft ball, or a waterbaloon landing, squishing from the weight of the landing and then expanding again as it bounces off the ground.

Atleast those are the points I´d work on.. Seasoned animators here probably have a much better take on it :)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    large heavy creatures move slowely and cannot jump/move as you depicted him.

a little biomechanics here, but a creature that's three times the size of a human cannot perform the same acts as a human. dropping down that block would break the cyclops's legs.

suggestion: double the animation length (slow it down by half) and you should immediately get better results. :)
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Good start! Now really go back and nail some of the poses, the last one where he gets angry is pretty weak because well his balance is totally off. So if I were you I'd just adjust that or make him go into a wider pose almost falling out of anger or something. But yeah, fix the anticipation at places and be done with this one quick. Plan ahead a little better too because right now the staging isn't that flattering and the character lacks character.

Remove the camera shake or add another one when he stomps his foot again. (I'd personally leave the camera shakes to the very end just to accent his weight and not let the camera be the only reason why he feels heavy.)

Great work all in all!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I don't feel like he's jumping off the cliff as much as running off of it. Also, there is little to no impact when he hits the ground. I feel like when he lands there should be a beat where he is recovering. For what size he is, there should be more of a reaction when he lands.
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
    re.wind wrote: »
    large heavy creatures move slowely and cannot jump/move as you depicted him.

a little biomechanics here, but a creature that's three times the size of a human cannot perform the same acts as a human. dropping down that block would break the cyclops's legs.

suggestion: double the animation length (slow it down by half) and you should immediately get better results. :)

Hahahaha LOL Cyclops legs Doesn't broke...I liked your suggestion simple and a quick tip.. Ahh long Critiques.BOri***.. Where i think making the Animation double will slow out and secondary person will get enough time to run. XD.. But as you suggested me i will definitely try out again sure.. And i will post again.. Hope you will open the Cyclops thread again...thanks for reply !!
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
    Gusti wrote: »
    Of to a good start there, but personally I would adjust a few things.

-The very start feels like it lacks inertia and a little more weight. The character looks burly, but doesn´t feel like it, atleast not enough to really sell it.

-I´d adjust the jump to a forward/downwards drop, like he´s using built up inertia to slope the fall, and not jump up as he gets off the box. When jumping downwards, we generally try to make the fall easier and shorter, and not add to it by jumping upwards first unless its to jump over something.

- The landing could use more weight, like having him contract more as he hits the ground, take a slight mis-step, put and hand down to balance the fall and then use the inertia from the jump to get back up and moving again. Think of it like a soft ball, or a waterbaloon landing, squishing from the weight of the landing and then expanding again as it bounces off the ground.

Atleast those are the points I´d work on.. Seasoned animators here probably have a much better take on it :)

Hey Gusti you are exactly right.. Many people Complained for weight but do you know.. . when i was animating i also tried to add a big impact on fall and a stay of 1 sec or 2 but animation became really dull even choice of poses and timing and overlapping was good.. SO i recut the middle frames and made it fast.. But i will try what you said ... Heavy landing...and SLow jump like big OGre rigt... :poly142: thanks for suggestion :thumbup: