Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creatures

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
I figured I wouldn't spam the low poly thread with this stuff, so I decided to make my own thread. I'll also be putting other goodies in here too.
The low-poly models are for a project for Warcraft III. Each has a 256x256 texture and is under 500 tris. I'll be making a lot more of these guys too. Sorry, a lot of images. And then there's my junk that I'll be making in Sculptris and maybe making low-polies to bake down to for the fun of it/practice.

If you guys want to see wires/texture flats out of curiosity, just let me know (too lazy to upload them right now). Everything was textured in Sculptris and then edited in Photoshop (resized/sharpened/contrast and color adjustment)
Fauna1.jpg
Fauna2.jpg
Stalker.jpg
Fiend.jpg
Herder-1.jpg
Skyterror.jpg
Terror.jpg

And then there's this thing, which I made in Sculptris yesterday when I was bored
FatManRatThingSS2.jpg
FatManRatThingSS1.jpg

Replies

• SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Also, just cooked this up. Not done yet, need to work a bit for on the body and particularly on the arms/hands and some more on the legs
    ManBatSS1.jpg
  • lymiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the little demon models! I'd love to see the unwraps and wireframes. I also really like the bat-like guy -- how long did that take?
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks man! Here are the texture flats for the models and wires of some of 'em. Sorry, again, a lot of images.
    Fauna1Texture.jpg
    Fauna2Texture.jpg
    StalkerTexture.jpg
    FiendTexture.jpg
    HerderTexture.jpg
    SkyterrorTexture.jpg
    TerrorTexture.jpg
    Normally, if I was texturing the models in photoshop, I wouldn't segment the limbs :P But I did since I was in Sculptris to further relieve stretching

HerderSS2.jpg
    SkyterrorSS1.jpg
    FiendSS2.jpg

The man-bat picture there was probably when I was a few hours in. Been working on it a lot more going on a detail pass. I'll post an update later. I'll probably make a low poly for it too, bake it, texture it, and all that good stuff
  • lymiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the textures -- seems like you could enlarge those UV shells a bit and utilize some of that precious empty space. If you were looking to plus these that would allow you to add in a little extra detail, too.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    fuck yes!!!
    great models/tri-usage :)
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    Yo man you should definitely turn some of those low poly models over to the SDK Master thread.I'm sure people would LOVE texturing them.INCLUDING ME!!!

:)

Check it

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70908
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wicked thread and artwork, keep those images coming! I also really like the first Sculptris sculpt, the face looks great.
    Just a quick question, you mentioned "Normally, if I was texturing the models in photoshop, I wouldn't segment the limbs :P But I did since I was in Sculptris to further relieve stretching", does this mean you textured these lowpolys in Sculptirs?
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    Well, might as well post these, too, as I'm acting as the "concept artist" for the mentioned project. Lots of images, again. This thread is prone to it, it seems.

Stalker.jpg
    terror.jpg
    scan0063.jpg
    unittypes.jpg
    Ideas.jpg
    Herder.jpg
    terror_wimg.jpgwingunfold.jpg
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot guys!
    Detail pass and a quick paint. I'm generally pleased with the result, being basically my first attempt at detailing. The front of the arms are kind of 'meh' though. I basically just spammed the clay/crease/inflate brushes
    ManBatSS2.jpg
    ManBatSS4.jpg

Thanks for posting some of the concepts Hellmouth! Oh I'll probably be making the lavawalker and abomination next.

Sketch81, yep, I textured them all in Sculptris. I really love the program. It has a lot of punch for being free.
    EiGHT, cool! I might upload some. What's a good site to upload them to?
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Update, got the low poly for the head done. Currently 860 tris. Does it look too high poly for game res or is it fine?

ManBatSS5.jpg
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    More progress on the base mesh. I'm not sure if I like how the arm topology is going but I can always redo that pretty easily. The low poly meshes for game res models take me so long to do :poly114:

ManBatSS6.jpg

Currently 2,016 tris
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Man, I love the low poly stuff. I'm curious to see that batthing creature of yours once you finish it. Its high-poly looks good too.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    I would do something to try and break up the symmetry a bit with the bat creature, something as simple as some pushing and pulling should do the trick. other than that it looks good.

i also dig your creature sketches
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    thanks t4pan!
    Mike Yevin, yeah, I generally have a problem with breaking up symmetry. I'll see what I can do! Might shift things around a bit and make a version with some wounds.

Got a chance to do some more modeling tonight.
    Bleh, finally finished the low poly. It's at 3,372 tris. I got a little impatient with it, but it turned out alright I suppose. The hands are a little iffy.
    ManBatSS7.jpg
    I'll get to unwrapping and baking tomorrow.
    After I get done with this critter I'll get back to making some more low-poly goodness.
    Also, I'm going to try to progress and make more complicated game-res critters/characters as I go along. I'll probably look at concepts by other people because mine suck. I also have a terrible idea coming up with gear/clothing/accessories.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall, I like the bat creature. My only problem is with the wing fold things, if this creature was to be animated, and attack, there would be a lot of stretching going on. More geo in that wing fold area under the arms might be good, maybe it could even sag when its arms are at rest like that, and then it would look more natural when they tighten as arms go out to attack, or running or whatever, its a good candidate for normal fading ( might be wrong term, but normal maps on certain parts of the body change as animations occur ).

This is pretty much a non issue though if it won't be posed or animated, and could even be remedied I think in the diffuse by giving that area more UV space.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    That's actually a really good point achillesian. There would be a lot of stretching. I don't intend to pose him though. This dude is mainly for practice. I, regretfully, didn't fiddle any with asymmetry and gave the man-bat a mirrored UV. With other models in the future I'll make sure to break up the symmetry more. This guy was kind of like a warm-up and I wanted to keep it fairly simple.

Screenshot from marmoset, as well as two screenshots from 3ds Max
    Right now the textures are 1024x1024, but they don't lose any noticeable quality at 512x512
    ManBatSS12.jpg
    ManBatSS15.jpg
    ManBatSS13.jpg
    ManBatSS14.jpg
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    An early WIP of a mutant. I'm basing it off of a concept by spacemonkey
    http://badpolygon.com/?portfolio=triclops-baby
    TriclopsChildSS1.jpg
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Howdy dudes! Here's an update on the mutant sculpt. Basically everything was sculpted with symmetry off (besides the basic forms). I imagined that he had a really nasty goiter under the scarf. After I finish up the sculpting I'll add the clothing/accessories that were in the concept. Making the hair will be interesting. I'll probably go with the alpha'd plane method.
    TriclopsChildSS2.jpg
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    I'm pretty much finished with the sculpt of the body. Up next is the boot, hat, hair, and watches. Also, some quick color schemes. I like all of them so I might actually make three different textures, each with one of these color schemes.
    TriclopsChildSS4.jpg

TriclopsChildColorScheme1.jpg
    TriclopsChildColorScheme2.jpg
    TriclopsChildColorScheme3.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there. Good work so far man. few things i noticed while looking at your work and the concept:
    - legs are more skinny on the concept and they are kind of making an "X" i think you could do that as well.
    - shoulders could be more defined as they would be on a very skinny person with the bones sticking out.
    - arms are a lot longer on the concept and perhaps legs should be a touch longer too.
    - wrinkles around the chest /neck area need a bit more attention too
    - i like how the cheekbones look on the concept - they are sticking out and are very defined so perhaps you can work on that a bit more :)
    That said if dont want to be 100 % close to the concept what you have there looks very nice :)
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks! I'll definitely see to tweaking the proportions/features. I'll also look at some pictures of emaciated people and take some queues from that for the shoulders. Oh, what exactly needs tweaking in the chest/neck region? Is it the big wrinkle going across below the goiter? It seems to look pretty similar in the concept, at least in my opinion
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah it does look close to the concept but I still dont feel there is any gravity affecting it. try masking the flesh just under the big wrinkle and with the move brush move it down just a tad so it looks more like it is hanging there.
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really dig that mutant man! Has more character in it than the man-bat, even though that one looked nice as well.
    I can see him even more freaked up as well, like a stick tied to his bad leg so he can use it to walk, one arm really bulky but shorter than the other..
    Or using something as a crutch to support that leg.
    So many possibilities :D
    I hope you are going to texture him up as well, cant wait to see that.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Disanski, I see what you mean, good point! Thanks for the advice.
    Thanks Gusti! Yeah, there are a lot of possibilities. I'll probably make a version with the boot and all the other accessories, and then maybe another that does something else. I even considered a roughed-up prosthetic leg. I like the idea of a stick tied onto his leg. Heck, maybe even nailed into it. It could be a more mutated version with the features you suggested. Different sized arms, etc.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Tried applying disanski's suggestions. What do you guys think? Better? Worse? I think that it's a nice improvement.

TriclopsChildSS5.jpg
    TriclopsChildChanges1.gif
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Finished the boot, the hat, and the scarf. Now I just need to make the watches.
    TriclopsChildSS6.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    so cool :)
    dig your lineart sketches especially
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks conte! The sketches were actually by Hellmouth though. Sorry for the confusion!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    oops, sorry for blindness :)
    Keep this up! Last mutant has a lot of potential!
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks conte! It's been really fun making it so far, and I hope that it turns out okay.
    I think that I'm pretty much finished with the high poly. Opinions?
    TriclopsChildSS7.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks great! Couldnt resist and made an overpaint, i hope you wont take
    an offense that i did it.
    Cant wait for next steps!
    sbzbm.jpg
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Wow thanks conte! Those are some great tips. Nah don't worry, I love paintovers. I definitely agree about simplifying the shoulders and inner legs. Admittedly I'm a little timid to simplify anything else though, but I'll take a crack at it later when I've got some time!