Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Senior Project

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
This is where I will post my senior project for school model. For my senior project I am going to do 4 different guns the first one is a Desert Eagle. As always critics are welcome and encouraged. Thank you everyone for the help in advance.

This is the Desert Eagle that I am working on right now, needs to be modeled and textured by September 26th. I feel like this gun is almost done (for the high poly) and will begin on the low poly tomorrow

gunWIPHigh021.png

gunWIPHigh011.png

Replies

• ToxiQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToxiQ polycounter lvl 11
    First of all, you did a a nice job on blocking it out and the proportions seem good but you need to improve your presentation.:thumbup:

My tip, get a nice viewport shader like this one : http://xoliulshader.com/
    and place two or three omni lights (light blue, light orange and maybe white), you can find an in-deph tutorial here http://www.laurenscorijn.com/articles/viewport-shader-setup

Then get a Viewportgrab script which supports Anti-Aliasing/Downsampling and take some screenshots for us to judge.

Im at work atm but I can give you accuracy crits later when I come home :)

Greetings, ToxiQ
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input but the reason that they are not presented well is because they are not finals so I just grabbed them from the viewport to see where the "proportions" or other things needed to be fixed and then the final will be rendered in Marmoset
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Also a tip I would like to give is to put a material on the gun during your high poly phase that has a dark diffuse and a bright and wide spec. I usually use a dark grey and a 100 spec and a 15 gloss. This allows you to see any imperfections that may appear in your model as you work that could transfer to the normal map.

Modelling looks solid, will keep an eye on this.
  • ToxiQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToxiQ polycounter lvl 11
    The back of the slide is completely wrong as you can see here:
    00017.jpg

Also the round part in the middle of the slide is a little off :
    DSC00370.JPG

That were the ones that I spotted right away,but
    a better presentation would enormously help to see more flaws or errors on your model so you can improve it and get a better result. :)

PS: use this gallery to get your model more awesome
    http://www.pixagogo.com/7709704729

Greetings, ToxiQ
  • gdevries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with everything ToxiQ had to say here. Definitely needs some more corrections aside from what I spoke earlier to you about. I would take a look into Xoliul, even though you are using XSI, its a nice tool to use and take advantage of.

Make sure you get the firing pin in there in the rear and the knurling on the hammer since you will be seeing that a lot in engine eventually. Also get the line on the barrel put in as it is in the image.
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Quack: I know what you are talking about with the bright with high spec, I do have that while I am looking around the gun but in Softimage for modeling I turn on the Headlight which basically just shines the light from the camera and takes the spec out of model mostly. But thanks I will keep it in mind while looking at the model.

Thanks for the compliments and I will keep trying to post updates on it every few days.

@ToxiQ: Thank you for the reference I could not find an image of the back of the gun other than CoD that will help quite a bit for the final touches on the highpoly
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update with new and improved back end

DE03.png
    DE02.png
    DE01.png
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    The back looks better, but still not really accurate.
    It's more curveed with a downward cut, right now the back is straight.

Keep it up!
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and finally an update of the lowpoly, I am in the process of unwrapping it right now for baking should have all that done by this weekend
    DELow01.png
    DELow02.png
    DELow03.png
    Wireframe
    DELowWire1.png

Thanks for looking and as always C&C welcome
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Nice and clean lowpoly, but there's some wasted triangles especially onthe safety swith and at the front of the barell.
    I also think it'sa shame you didn't bother to correct the back of the gun seeing as it's one of the most important areas.

Nice work though! Keep it up!
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on the back end more and got the curve to be more noticeable but you cannot really see it in these pictures of the LP but the HP has it a lot more noticeable
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I am to my worst part in the whole 3D process and that is texturing. Any critics and comments would be very helpful. I have never like my own textures and can never seem to make them as good as other people even when I am following their tutorials.

Texture02.png

Texture03.png

Texture01.png

Thank you in advance for all of your help
  • gdevries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would completely change the grip texture right now. It looks like you used some sort of rock texture for it.

Next you need to keep in mind that not all edges are going to be worn and if they are the don't all wear the same way. You need to try and use some different brushes and take advantage of the settings you can apply to them to make them jitter and rotate around and you paint.

Take an hour or so and look around on google images or something for some images of older used weapons and see how they look and the way they tarnish and wear. Make sure you have some idea of what you are going for and don't just wing it so to speak. Make the wear on the gun in smart places like where it would rub being in a holster etc.

One other thing I noticed is that you have normals that baked onto the mesh where there shouldn't be any eg. the rubber grip area. I would go and explode the model and rebake them to avoid that as much as possible. Look into baking in xNormal with cages and see if you can avoid some of the nasty seams you have going on with the normal maps right now. There is a tut on eat3d that is free that goes over baking with cages. Give this a read also http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will take a look at the scrapes and stuff the grip texture you are complaining about is the exact grip texture on the gun I think it just needs to be scaled down a little bit more. I noticed that grip normal as I was posting it as well so I will have to go and fix that

Thanks for the input though and I will work on trying to fix stuff.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    search for other 3d pistols on here "pistol, baretta, desert eagle" you will see a lot of different ways you go improve the texture. The color seems weird though. Go with silver or black.

Also, 4 guns is kinda stupid in my opinion. It shows no variety if you are about to graduate (unless you already have a slick portfolio). Maybe do another gun and some other hard surface objects.
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another texture update tried some different stuff really reduced the scratches on the gun and tried to get some more definition in the texture and really darken it up.

TextureUpdate03.png

TextureUpdate01.png

TextureUpdate02.png
  • ToRoDK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I’m not gun expert in anyway, but from ale the shooter games I have played over the years, I know that your gun texture is “wrong” … the grip texture still looks like a rock/ coffe beans texture! And the barrel is too dark, make it more metaly like (shiny metal gray), just google desert eagle, and you can see that the texture should be a lot more metal gray like (or more shiny, like metal).
    But of course I don’t know the concept you work from or anything, but if you plan to present it alone, I think it would look very weird and/or wrong!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    need to work on that grip texture it still looks like the ash-fault in my driveway, and try to get a better lighting setup so we can see what is going on with the rest.
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not very good at texturing and getting a good looking material yet but I am trying to get that "shiny metal" look across I am just not really sure how to do it.

It is just rendered out of Marmoset with their daylight preset I just tried to get a background that did not blend with the gun. I am working on the grip texture I think it is still just a little to big and needs to made a bit smaller
  • TheWildHunt
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I have that picture in my reference I think but I just have that picture scaled larger than my gun and then they looked the same just because one was larger than the other but I just got to tweak it a bit more and the grip should be alright.
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been way to long since I have updated this post but I have the Desert Eagle updated still not completely accurate but I had to start progress on my next weapon (50 Caliber Sniper Rifle)

What have for Desert Eagle:
    Final02.png

Update for Sniper Rifle:
    Sniper01.png
    sniper031.png
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scope is a little rough because that is what I am currently working on
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    You should rework your bake. Perhaps the polycount of your handgun isnt high enough? Since its a fp weapon, ur aloud to take the triangle numbers pretty high.
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I need to work on a different way to get these models together for baking purposes because as you can see it has the high poly projecting weird artifacts on the low poly like by handle with the AO there