Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Why not floaters?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
I've notice this going on a lot.

I never really understood why floaters are a bad, or at least a less preferred way to go.

What does it matter when it comes down to baking normals, AO, etc?
Other than the sometimes unnaturally hard edge created at the connection, and the possible difficulty texturing on a few cases, what am I missing?

I usually like to build my models based on real life. I would often (for fun mostly) even create the hole of a bolt, and then model the whole bolt, and put it in the hole. I would sometimes model the interior of a control panel, before placing the lid on, on which I'll model holes and put bolts in like it'd be in real life. That's not something I do when I'm trying to be effective of course, but it's a bit of a therapy for me, feels like really building something instead of using tricks.

Anyway, I'd love to know what's good or bad with floaters. Been planning on asking it a long time now, so it's about time. :)

Replies

• Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the only bad things with it that I can think of at the moment would be possible z-fighting. And sometimes it means you'll have a bit extra wasted texture-space (though mostly that can be filled in). And then there's shadowcasting, where it might come out pretty odd if you use floating elements.

Though generally I don't really see a problem with it, and use it a lot myself. Nor have I ever heard of anyone saying it'd be a bad thing either tbh, as long as it's used sensibly.

Of course though, some (mostly older) engines can't handle meshes that are open and/or use floating elements. But that's pretty rare these days methinks.

/edit: btw, this should prolly go in the tech forum rather than P&P.

Also, just noticed you were a character artist, in which case I guess rigging and deforming can play a part in it.

Cheers
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Floaters aren't bad, there is just poor application.

If it works? Awesome.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Tiros I believe Blaken is talking about floaters just during the high poly stage and the baking .... not to bring floaters in game ... :) I use them when I can but very often I find myself in situation where I can't use them and I have to model them in.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Lots of people use floaters, they are great! For the right uses ofcourse.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I use um and never have problems, it just depends on what your using them for.

EDIT: Wow haha just what Chris said! right on!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not sure why you're convinced they're 'bad' or less preferred.

They're useful for specific cases, largely putting cut-out detail on flat surfaces.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks all for the replies :)

Well, I never really thought of them as "bad" until people mentioned it here and there, since I've been a member here. I always thought it's a good thing to build something out of several parts, since that's how it is in real life.

I agree I made a mistake posting it here, I usually hang around this forum and didn't even think this topic would fit somewhere else, I just started it. I guess it'll be moved. :) sry bout that.
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm using a lot of floaters (windows, ceiling gubbins, doors, etc.) on some static RTS building models in-game... surely that's okay?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I think the main issue with floating geometry is the wasted memory on the portions under the floater. You don't see it, but it still takes up texture memory. They'd have to be small to not have a wasteful impact. For normal baking, I don't think that would matter so long as the edges of the floater are parallel to the high poly object.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I float small details 99% of the time here at work. No time to model it all in. After your pretty art asset is crunched down to a 1024 or smaller you'll NEVER see a difference between floating detail and non floating detail anyways.