Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Environment Art Internship - Kiefen Zipf

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
Thought I'd start my own thread on this instead of hijacking Oniram's thread. Here's where it's at now.

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_02.jpg

I started texturing yesterday and set up a quick shader to tint and overlay the diffuse's alpha channel over the texture. Next I'll probably start modeling in the rest of the smaller details.

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_03.jpg

I'm planning tomorrow to start doing the textures for the smaller details like the windows and door and possibly start on the roof. For the windows and the door I'm planning to do high polys and render out heightmaps so I can do some bumpoffset on them.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    The edge of your roof seems very thin to me for some reason. It gives it a very fragile feeling, I think. Everything else seems spot on so far though. Keep it up!

It's going to be very interesting seeing how everyone here at PC tackles this art test.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL wrote: »
    The edge of your roof seems very thin to me for some reason. It gives it a very fragile feeling, I think. Everything else seems spot on so far though. Keep it up!

It's going to be very interesting seeing how everyone here at PC tackles this art test.

Hmm... It's about 2-4 units thick. The top one is even thicker than it is in the concept proportionate to the rest of my building. Maybe it just looks thin to you since there aren't any roof supports yet?
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am working on it as well and I noticed that in your version you did not put in the three supports I have highlighted here

jEsZ8.jpg

I had trouble figuring out what to do with them as well because they are not visible within the side views but are clearly there within the straight on. I ended up just assuming they should be there and having them jut out as little as possible in the side view. I definitely think you should add them in before you submit, but even if you don't your bricks still look great. Keep up the good work.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this so far. The stone might come across better if there weren't so much contrast, like a more subtle painterly feel to soften it, maybe with grout between the stones.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    nice start on the textures. what was your process for the brick? is it just some texture you worked up in photoshop with ndo/crazybump? or did you take a run through zbrush?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dave, yeah I wasn't sure about those supports... There were a few discrepancies between different views on the concept and on that one I decided to just leave them out in favor of a more interestingly silhouetted brick formation. I'll take a picture from the other view next update where it's more obvious. With supports there I don't think I'd be able to have that though.

@Rojo, I'll mess around with the stone texture a bit more sometime and try out your suggestions. Right now I'm just trying to get everything modeled in and with at least a base texture on it. The stone texture definitely needs some more work though.

@Oniram, that brick was made from one photosource from CGTextures. In the first post the normal was generated in Crazybump but in this latest one I used Ndo 2. It's a tiling 512x256 and the alpha channel has a grayscale overlay in it that's tiled horizontally over the texture two times on the second UV channel (One tinted green and one stretched out and tinted brown).
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    i dig the plaster texture, would like to check that out once you've submitted it, keep at it :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time!

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_05.jpg

Did a quick roof texture, baked some windows and finished off all of the modeling (Except for the foliage and some final touches). I also painted out a 512x256 foliage sheet which I will perhaps put to use later today.

@Mixeh, I'll post up the material breakdown when it's finished.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Coming along great, the texturing is great, I love the building texture, maye there should be some moss or vines on the roof?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny wrote: »
    Coming along great, the texturing is great, I love the building texture, maye there should be some moss or vines on the roof?

I don't really have the texture space for vines. I'll be adding a roofing trim over the tops and where the roofing meets the building and overlaying some grime/gradient though.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I'm no expert (hardly finish the projects I start lol) but I would add some more to the silhouette on the edges of the rock walls. Right now they are pretty flat where rocks should be sticking out.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok wrote: »
    I'm no expert (hardly finish the projects I start lol) but I would add some more to the silhouette on the edges of the rock walls. Right now they are pretty flat where rocks should be sticking out.

That's something a lot of people have been suggesting. I've been putting it off because I wasn't sure if I'd have the triangles for it but it's at about 2,000 right now and nearly everything is modeled in so I'll probably do that next time I work on it.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_07.jpg

Tomorrow I'm planning to texture the door, start on some of the other things on the detail sheet and add in the roof supports.

I tried messing around with the silhouette on the stone and I gave it a few more tris on the corners but adding random stones jutting out just doesn't look good. Maybe later I'll try out some other ways to make certain stones pop out more but I'll save that until everything else is pretty much finished.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm almost ready to call this finished. I just need to do some tweaks and add in the final touches like a roof overlay and the lower chimney.

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_08.jpg

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_08_wireframe.jpg
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    I think your final render looks pretty frackin good man. The second render, the wireframe? Not so much. There are many ways to show off your wireframes. I would try a different route. The white wires on white.. I guess that's just texture. Err.. normal map. What did you do there? It's hard to tell. Hide your lights/shadows, change your wireframes to black or dark blue and take another screen shot.

You can also get some good wireframe renders if you use a Contour Shader. If you're using Maya, let me know and I can tell you how to do it.

Either way, the final render looks good. Good luck!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update from the past few days. I'm almost finished with it. I'll probably do a few more texture tweaks and add some loose shingles to the edges of the roof with the remaining triangles I have. I also have 256x256 of texture space left that I might use for a plaster damage decal.

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_09.jpg

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_09_wireframe.jpg

@Gobee, is this wireframe better? That other one was taken with the detail lighting mode in UDK. This one is just unlit with a grey material applied to it.

EDIT: Here's a picture from the other side.

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_10.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. Any final crits? I'm probably going to pack this up and get it ready to send tomorrow or Sunday.

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_11.jpg

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_11_wireframe.jpg

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_wip_12.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    More variation on the side of the vegetation, everything should be different sizes.

Also the same types of plants tend to cluster together more.

Do you have any spare tris? the
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll mess around with the foliage a bit more. I've only got about 50 tris left. What do you suggest I do with them?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd post the final shots up here too so here they are.

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_01.jpg

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_01_wireframe.jpg

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_02.jpg

arenanetarttest_kiefenzipf_02_wireframe.jpg

arenanaetarttest_kiefenzipf_materialbreakdown.jpg
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks really good. But you might be going over the texture limit. They emphasized that all your textures cannot exceed 2048x1024 texture space in ANY configuration, and I thought they meant that included alpha channel stuff too.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm 99% sure that it's fine. I've showed it to Jason and he didn't point it out and I've read a lot of people planning to make use of their alpha channels similar to the way I have. Would suck if that's not the case though...
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    If you are implying that diffuse,normal,spec need to all fit and be packed in ONE 2048x1024 texture, then that does not make sense. Your textures would like like shit. They would have just said 512x512 textures. If that is what you are saying. Then again maybe they did say something dumb like that. Seems strange too because for some reason graphics cards still don't support non power of two textures.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    The structure should be less than 3000 polys and use the maximum equivalent of two 1024
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 wrote: »
    If you are implying that diffuse,normal,spec need to all fit and be packed in ONE 2048x1024 texture, then that does not make sense. Your textures would like like shit. They would have just said 512x512 textures. If that is what you are saying. Then again maybe they did say something dumb like that. Seems strange too because for some reason graphics cards still don't support non power of two textures.

I think he's just saying that he thinks that the alphas count as part of the 2048x1024 texture space we're supposed to use. Also 2048x1024 is a power of two! Graphics cards 100% support textures sized like that. They don't support some features for textures like 1536x512, although textures sized like that can still work.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I'm 99% sure that it's fine. I've showed it to Jason and he didn't point it out and I've read a lot of people planning to make use of their alpha channels similar to the way I have. Would suck if that's not the case though...

Guess I screwed myself out of some texture space then, oh well, too late now, haha.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Aigik wrote: »
    Guess I screwed myself out of some texture space then, oh well, too late now, haha.

Hahahahah. Guess 99.9% people who send this submission just screwed up :D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    2048x1024 IS powers of 2 and that's fine with most engines.

But generally those guidlines mean total space of that size. So you could divy it up into a bunch of 64x64's if you wanted.

@ Zipf,
    I think you're is probably the strongest overall I've seen so far (and we've seen quite a few of these recently).

However I think it has one weak spot.

The rock wall under the main bulk of the building that is bent inwards IMO looks pretty bad. it may be a bit 'cartoony' but the rest of your model doesn't read that way to me. Yours is much more realistic than some of the others.
    It just looks like it would crumble/collapse and yet the beams on top of it are perfectly straight.
    So someone must have built the wall like that (it's not falling apart). Why would they? So their new structure would be doomed to collapse?

Other than that I really dig the roof edges. Your veg looks better than they others. Your textures look really good and fit together nicely.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Badcog, I never thought of it from a structural point really... I guess it would collapse there though. There was a glimpse of a stone formation like that in one of the side views of the concept and I thought it would be more interesting having something angled inwards a bit since the rest of the base is all outwards pretty much. Nearly every other entry I've seen has had wooden beams coming down there too so I thought it would be good to do something a bit different. If the structural integrity of the stone wall there is your biggest crit though then I'm pretty happy.