Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Generic Assault Rifle

Hi to all polycounters, my last work is an assault rifle loosely based on a Deus Ex 3 weapon (FR-27 I guess), I've just finished the hi-poly version, and before start working on the low-poly I wanted to ask you for some advices\opinions about my work, thanks in advice.

These are the screen of the weapon:

sPbp6.jpg

TL0jO.jpg

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little thick all over
    rails are wrong
    not sure what the gun is doing with that lip under the barrel
    stock is plain, nothing really going on
    needs more hard edges
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Same comments with n88tr.

Also, the handle is maybe too big for a hand, it would be hard to carry.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yup, much too thick overall but generally pretty good. the "lip" projecting forward makes sense as a handstop, but it looks a little too flimsy up where it flanges around the front face of the rifle. i would thicken that part up, thin out the rest of the rifle overall.
  • AsherOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The handle hould be like half the thickness of the gun. The over all design I like.
  • Covin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advices, i'll start by reducing the thickness of the weapon.

@n88tr, what do you mean with "rails are wrong" and "stock is plain"?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Covin: there is a universal standard for rails, and this is not it. even if this is not indicated that well in the concept you are working from, this is what your rails should look like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail

also there's a trick of making each rail mount floating geo on the lower to save polygons and avoid nasty shading errors, there's a relevant jpg on the subject floating around on polycount or in tech talk subforum but i can't find it at the moment

and by stock is plain well there is just a lack of detail on the cheekrest area. other than firming up some kind of material distinction/transitional area between the stock and buttstock i think you're doing fine in that regard
  • Covin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Gauss for the explanations and the link.

About the tech jpg, do you mean the Racer445 tutorial? Because I remember that, but the images are not online anymore (because of the new website I guess) and i don't know how to find it.
    However, I've reduced the thickness of the weapon of 1/4 and did few other changes. Now I'll work on the rails and then upload new screens of the model.
    For the cheekrest area, I was planning to do the material definition during the texturing process.
  • Covin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the new version:

06bET.jpg

I've reduced the thickness of the main body and increased it on the "lip", hardened some edges and redone the rail system.
    Hope these changes are good. What do you think?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    looks great. if you've got some just a little detail on the buttplate (more of the shirow dots + inset screws or such) then I'd call it good and get it baking.
  • Covin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New revision:

BLYsY.jpg

Added some little details to make the buttplate more "interesting"; I think i'll redo the screw, I don't really like them.
    Any crit on this?
  • Covin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bake time!

aL7Gx.jpg

There are still few baking artifacts, but I'm quite happy with the result.
    Any advice/opinion or crit?