Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] UDK Modular Environment

So for a class, we are asked to do an 3D environment within three weeks to help us learn to work under tight time constraints. In this thread, I will post my process and work in progress shots and hopefully, in three weeks I'll have a nice end product in UDK.

We were given a concept by Sparth (http://www.sparth.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10) and were told to inspire ourselves from it. Here is what I came up with.

p1_concept.png

I tried to keep the construction simple and the shapes basic due to the time frame that was imposed.

p1_plannif.png

Given the short time frame I have to work with, I have decided to go with a modular approach and try to get the most mileage out of each individual piece.

So from that quick sketch I quickly planned out the major pieces (hopefully I'm not missing anything) that I will need to model for the environment.

p1_plnnifwall.png

Finally, some ideas on how to make variations on wall modules with the smaller pieces I plan on building.

Soon, I should have some actual 3D to show and things will start shaping up!

Of course, crits, comments and suggestions to make this much more interesting are more than welcome!

Replies

• keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    As weird as it may be, I really like your sketches. I feel they get your design decisions across without taking up too much time or being overly complex and ambiguous. Keep on! :D
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Looks like an excellent start. Cant wait to see your models.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I really like this, I hope you will add more details to your posts as well :)

Good luck!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I think this looks awesome! Watch out so that you don't get stuck creating a million variances of your models though ;)

I'm gonna follow this..
  • JobyeK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JobyeK polycounter lvl 13
    Looking forward to seeing the progress on this :P.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Aye the sketch's are plain enough to easily read but lend enough to get a good idea where your going.

Everything's just really clean compared to the sketchy sketchy mess alot of us use ;)

Looking forward to this.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah your sketches are awesome! The scene looks like it should be amazing! I look forward to more!
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone for the encouragement! (:

I started modeling the high-res pieces for my modular sets and I've decided to try and piece them together to get a feel for what it could look like.

preview02.png

Unfortunately, this test made me realize I did not plan my units properly as my ceiling appears quite low ): I'll have to fix that asap. Luckily, I am still at a stage where I can change some measures.

Now to finish these models and bake them onto their low res counterparts. (hopefully by Friday)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also that railing is really tall.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good so far, but when I look at the concept it seems to me like the railing juts outward on the top
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'm not entirely sure, but I think you have the railing this tall so you can stick to units? So that a rail is 2 unit high and the whole corridor-block is 4³ units?

I think that based on the (left side of the) sketches it would be better to make the rail 1 unit high. Ideally though, you'd make it About a third of the corridor's height - not everything has to fit in the units in powers of two in all 3 axes. Stepping away from 'everything must fit in every way' also allows you to add that bit of slant that Computron mentioned.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    first thing you should have done was built proxy pieces in UDK that way you can get a feel for everything before moving onto highpoly.

Some UDK Unit Info:
    A typical character is about 96 max units tall.

So in feet 96 / 6 feet = 16 units.
    So in other words, 16 units = 1 Foot.

Height when standing: 96 units
    Height when crouching: 64 units
    Jump Height: 64 units
    Double-Jump Height: 132 units
    Dodge Distance: 320 Units
    Double-Jump Distance: 720 units.

Highpoly is looking pretty clean... Keep it up. You doing everything SubD or just some stuff?
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, according to the crits that were given, I've boosted the wall heights (from 128 to 160) and lowered the railings (from 64 to 52-ish). For the railings unforunately, I've decided to not slant them to make the construction easier for corners. (lazy!)

I then proceeded to unwrap all my pieces and bake the high res meshes onto the low res meshes with xNormal.

preview_modulesPieces.png
    preview_modulesNRM.png

I had to go through a bit of cleaning in Photoshop because my high res meshes had not so clean topology ):

I was wondering what was the right practice when baking normal maps and smoothing groups. For this, I tried to match my smoothing groups to my UVs to have hard edges where the UV seams were. In some places it produced a gradient in the normal map (like the plates). It seems to have turned out okay though.

I am wondering if there is a "rule of thumb" when it comes to smoothing groups and UVs. Or anything that could help clear this up?

preview_modulesW.png
    preview_modulesF.png

I set up the low res pieces together to make more complete modules for building the environment in UDK. For the pieces for walls and floors, I've offset and rotated the plates slightly to break the linearity of the wall (if it is even noticeable).

Next step, testing in UDK before texturing it all!
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh oh ):

gradientsinnormalmap.png

So I tried to import a model into UDK to make sure everything would turn out okay, but as it turns out, it is not okay. Compared to the viewport render in max, I get some gradients in my normal map in UDK (areas circled in red). I exported my model following the qualified normals guide that was linked on the front page.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I am guessing it is the same gradient that is in my normal map, but why would it show okay in Max ):

I hope I dont have to rebake my stuff. D:
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Seems like you need to either add more support edges or put the big face on a different smoothing group to get rid of those huge gradients.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    ahhh the beauty of modular pieces :D love it, looking good. i'm stealing the drawing on a grid idea thats smart!
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Minotaur0 Yeah, I ended up putting the big face on another smoothing group and rebaking. I now have a small seam around that face, but its better than a huge gradient going across the screen.

@coots7 Haha, I am glad you find that it is a good idea. It let me get a sense of scale for the different pieces I was planning to build, but in the end almost none of the measures were kept.

So after the problems with my normal map and after doing the second UV sets for every piece for lightmaps, I FINALLY managed to get my stuff into UDK. With plain colors and lighting from the template scene from UDK, here's what it looks like now.

udk.png

(I also decided to go back to the slanted rails)
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    looks good so far, and i like your amount of planning beforehand. really giving me some inspiration for some projects im starting after work to get back into the groove of things. keep it up
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Apart from the highly inefficient texture layout it's moving the right direction. Maybe you could use some stacking to make a better use of your textures.

You'll also save time later with diffuse and spec texturing.
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I thought about it (stacking textures) but I decided to go the most straightforward way. I`ll keep that in mind, as our next project is about being as optimal as possible.

Untitled-1.png

Here is the early stages of building my level in UDK, it's all orange and rusty (The rust was my test to try out vertex blending materials). I don't really like the orange all that much anymore, and I think I am going to go for something cleaner than that all orange rusty stuff. Also, I am going to focus on one or two still shots instead of building a large level due to the little amount of time left.

So with that in mind, I removed the rust, and decided to focus on getting my lighting down, which is proving much harder than expected. I'd like to have sunlight coming from the back, and the foreground being lit a bit by the neon lights. I'm also trying to have some nice cast shadows from the railing and the girders.

Untitled-2.png

I am thinking of keeping this camera for my final shot; what do you think of the composition?
    I still have to do my textures and finish up dressing up my shot.

6 days left before the deadline!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Currently (I know it's WIP) i'd say that there's form repetition, and then there's form repetition...

Your architectural elements are composed in a way that makes it difficult to understand the scene... looks like something Escher would have done in his early stages.

Modularity success though... the pieces work for what they're intended to be used for...
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nfrrtycmplx : I definitely see what you mean, and I agree that the shot needs to be more readable. Do you have any suggestions as to how to lessen the problem? I'm thinking maybe to try and make the shadows darker to heighten the contrast between the elements that are inside and the ones that are outside.

I was planning to add some small crates and misc props to fill it up a bit, but I'm not sure if its a good idea anymore or if it will only make the scene messier.

I reviewed my color palette and worked on the texture a bit. At this distance though, it seems that textures still are plain colors lol.

fridaymorning.png
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    maybe removing a "level", either up above or down below, will help with the chaotic-ness of the scene a bit. try focusing our attention on something in the middle "level", like the hallway from the angle of the bridge or something.

i feel the reason its not as readable now is because your trying to make us focus on the scene as a whole, rather than one particular area of it. try moving the camera around to 5 different angles, and see if anything reads better.

other than that the scene is coming along nicely
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looks nice Huyk, I like the colors you got going right now.

Only thing I would bother you about is create a corner piece for your railing rather than not having one. It'll clean things up a bit.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    ParoXum wrote: »
    Apart from the highly inefficient texture layout it's moving the right direction. Maybe you could use some stacking to make a better use of your textures.

You'll also save time later with diffuse and spec texturing.

+1.

By going back and redoing your UV's you'd be doing yourself a huge favor.
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alberto Rdrgz : For the next times, I'll definitely remember to use a more optimal layout. I'm lucky I don't have that many pieces to texture though.

So, to try to make my scene read better, I reworked and simplified the structure of the tower/building thing.

Don't mind the purply lights coming out of nowhere, I didn't rebuild lights yet because my computer is poopoo.

fridayafternoon.png
  • JobyeK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would love to see color bleeding from those red pillars. Push up the diffuse bounces!
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
    This looks really cool. Are you going to put some background structures in like you have in the concept?
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is it! Deadline is tomorrow. Here are my final renders, screenshot taken from UDK. Levels adjustment, vignette and sharpening were done in Photoshop.

This was a fun project and has helped me learn the workflow in UDK. Next time, I will definitely approach it in a more optimal and efficient use of my assets as other users have been saying. The next project is supposed to focus on budget and optimisation. Look forward to it!

PostProd_FinalSharpReduced.png
  • JobyeK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the subtle/not overdone wear you added to the overall scene. The cubemaps are nice as well, not overbearing at all. However, those boxes :(. They really don't fit the style of the scene at all and stick out like a sore thumb imo, feels tacked on.

In any case, good job, I'm sure this exercise has taught you a lot and the next scene will benefit from the knowledge for sure.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Wow really nice work, I like that you have a really strict budget, it's really impressive to do such a big thing with that in mind. I agree with those boxes as well though, I don't mind them too much but they seem rather big to me. Either way, great work! :)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    very nice work! What are your post processing settings?
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    sorry i'm late... traffic.

You've done a great job here!
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    This looks great for the amount of time you had. Really looking forward to your future work.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Even though it's a bit off from the concept (higher/narrower hallways, ceilings seem to be less prominent, lighter/less chunky feeling) it works well. The concept feels european/doric while the final result feels more asian. If you look at the far building, it has the contours of a pagoda (not exactly, but close). The use of red enhances this feeling/

BigPagoda.jpgIMG_3127.jpg39+pagoda.jpg
    I think you could/should push that if you have some time in the future, and make it more unique and interesting. You wouldn't need to do much, maybe a banner thingy, some futuristic (bugzapping?) version of a lantern and some curly deco piece for the corners. Of course you could add more stuff, but just these 3 should be enough to enhance the 'asian' feel.

Technically the piece is quite solid, but I'd tone down the SSAO a bit.
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am glad from the positive response the final result is getting.

@roosterMAP: In UDK, I used the AmbientOcclusion and UberPostProcess nodes and left pretty much everything on default settings only to use the DoF component of it. Oh, I tweaked the AO settings because they were too jittery.

After, I imported the screenshot into Photoshop and did some color correction with Levels, added a vignette, sharpened it and then downsized it.

@Snader: I had noticed the asian-y vibe when i changed the colors to white and red. I agree that it could indeed be interesting to add some elements to push that characteristic more. I probably will have some time this week to work on it a bit more to push it a bit further.
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Snader wrote: »
    Even though it's a bit off from the concept (higher/narrower hallways, ceilings seem to be less prominent, lighter/less chunky feeling) it works well. The concept feels european/doric while the final result feels more asian. If you look at the far building, it has the contours of a pagoda (not exactly, but close). The use of red enhances this feeling/

*Snip*

I think you could/should push that if you have some time in the future, and make it more unique and interesting. You wouldn't need to do much, maybe a banner thingy, some futuristic (bugzapping?) version of a lantern and some curly deco piece for the corners. Of course you could add more stuff, but just these 3 should be enough to enhance the 'asian' feel.

Technically the piece is quite solid, but I'd tone down the SSAO a bit.

This is exactly what I was thinking. The proportions and especially the use of red and white gave it an instant future-pagoda sort of vibe to it.