Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AKS 74u (Wip)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Hey dudes, i have been modeling for a while so far, (about a year and a half with super long breaks) and i never completed a project :D
So i decided to start a new project and actually finish it, the point of this thread is to get as much critics as i can so i can get the best out of myself in this model, (specially in texturing cause i am really really bad)
So, here it goes what i have so far (taken from the viewport, i was lazy to make a render):

Still wip and i may have A LOT of inaccuracy so please critic. I will keep them coming as i make progress
Btw, is the ak47 magazine compatible with the aks74u? It looks soo much interesting

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pistol grip is too thin but u said u know the inaccuracies so just fix em and keep posting
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    After seeing millenias aks74 i decided to continue mine, great work millenia, that ak is looking amaizing
    Heres my fail-74u,still a long way to go but i would love to recive critics on the high poly
    jgp05d.jpg
    Are the edges smooth enough?
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    The best way to determine if your edges are smooth enough is to do a test bake at the lowest texture resolution you plan to use. The pixels of the final normal map are finite, so you have to make sure that what you have is enough to produce smooth transitions on the normal map. That and zooming out, see what the smoothing looks like when the prop is a tiny on screen object, just like the size it'd be in a game.

Although you'll want to have different edge smoothness to depict different physical materials, like wood, metal and bakelite. Bakelite and wood are generally more rounded and smooth than metal.

Anyways there's some smoothing errors on the bottom of the foregrip and pistol grip. Charging handle edges look too tight, and thee fire selector seems flat. You may get some other critique from CDG forums, or you may not. Although it may be worth looking into if your thinking of doing more guns.