Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Battle Guy

Mind Traveler
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Mind Traveler polycounter lvl 16
Hello Polycount.

I would like to share with you a project I just finished entitled Battle Guy. This model is based on the late Clement Sauve's concept http://clementsauve.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d2irvdm.
He was created using 3ds Max, Zbrush, Uvlayout, Xnormal, Photoshop, and Marmoset. He is 15,000 tris total. He utilizes a 2k texture map for the body and a 1k texture map for the gun.
I had a spectacular experience working on this guy and I hope you like it. Feedback and comments are always welcome.

Also, check out my website:

http://mindtravelerdesign.com/

I am looking for new freelance work.
I am also looking into joining a new team on an awesome project.

Cheers. - Anwar Bey-Taylor

Battleguy.jpg
Battleguy1.jpg
Battleguy2.jpg
Battleguy3.jpg
Battleguy4.jpg
Battleguy5.jpg
Battleguy6.jpg

Replies

• Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model looks great, but the renders seem a bit iffy. Might want to work those out a tad, perhaps someone more experienced in that field than myself could offer some help.

As for the content, it wouldn't happen to have been inspired by one of 'boss' enemies from Army of Two: The 40th Day, eh? It looks great either way. The red detail scheme looks nice (Especially that spiffy beret!) but you might want to change the colour of the straps. That red colour alone doesn't look right. Maybe just try a black/dark coloured strap with red detailing?

Overall, nice work!
  • WSLaFleur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agree with the above post. the red straps sort of flatten the model, though i know nothing about rendering.
  • Mind Traveler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piesandbombs: THank you for your feedback I really appreciate it, it was very insightful. I will keep these things in mind for future creations.
    As for the concept, I posted a link to the original concept by the late Clement Sauve, he was amazing.
    WSLaFleur: Thanks alot friend.

Peace Polycount,

I present to you: "Battle Guy: Game Ready Character Creation Tutorial"
    I hope it is as informative and fun to read as it was for me to create it!
    Cheers. -Anwar Bey-Taylor

Click this image on my website
    BG_TutorialThumb.jpg
    Click this image on my website
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    To me it feels like maybe you should work on the presentation a bit more, make sure that you render high-resolution shots and then scale them down if needed. Also nice lighting would make a big difference. Try to get some more depth in there. :) Other than that, good work! I'm gonna take a look at that tutorial :)

EDIT:
    Checked out your portfolio as well, really nice sculpts in there.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Coool stuff! Nice workflow. :) I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one! the character looks great. Things to point out: what the others have already said, renders need to be a bit better to bring out the character more and show off your great sculpts, maybe give it either better lighting or look at some of the textures a bit closer.

Last thing, is it possible for you to drop the eyes down by about an inch? (relative to the character) they're a bit high up compared to the concept, and i think bringing them down will make it look so much better.
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for sharing the tutorial, much appreciated. Your artwork rocks and so does Headus.
  • joesolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Mindtraveler

Great execution man. I'm really digging this piece. I think the red straps could use a little more texture work to make them feel a little less flat. crits and such aside, I think you really captured the flavor of the character from the concept art, which is the most important thing. keep the great works coming man.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    renstriangle.png
    1. sharp triangle
    2. yours
    3. this would look better
  • Mind Traveler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby: Thanks man, great feedback :)
    SsSandu_C: Thank you friend. I am glad you dig it!
    Impala88: You've got solid points. Thank you!
    sketch81: Thank you. I definitely agree with you fully man Headus is win :).
    joesolo: THanks amigo. Will definitely continue to rock!
    Snader: Cool Diagram friend. Thank you!