Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Autumn Park

Hey people!

These last 3 weeks I've been working on an environment for my portfolio before I graduate and I'd really appreciate some harsh critique or comments. I really want to take this scene as far as I can so please feel free to crit on anything, even on the smallest of things. poly120.gif

It's still a work in progress and a few things I consider changing is the wall entrance. It's looking kinda cluttered right now and doesn't read that well. I would also like to add a larger park square and a few more places of interest.

I'd also like to thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment!
EDIT: Latest Image
Sephez_autumn.jpg

Sephez_autumn1.jpg

Sephez_autumn2.jpg

Sephez_autumn3.jpg

Sephez_autumn4.jpg

Sephez_autumn5.jpg

Sephez_autumn6.jpg

Replies

• salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Sephez
    Looks really good. Like the colours of the leaves and trees.

I noticed a couple of minor things. First was the bin- is that unfinished? It looks like it doesnt have a material in the third picture.
    Second was that the path is maybe a little too clear of leaves. It could do with a few more piles here and there. But that could just be a preference.
    Overall looks fantastic to me!
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, very nice work.
    Secondly, I feel as though some of the shadows are very dark, like in the bushes and on some of the trees themselves.
    I would also love to see some wireframes on some of the assets if you could, along with some of the texture maps.
    Besides those small things I really like the scene and would love to see a larger version of it!
  • riddlaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the color variety that you currently have going in this scene. Yet because the colors are similar on each of the trees, they start blending together as one large mass. Which in turn makes the scene look flat. One thing that you could do is slightly hue shift the materials for a few of the tree's, therefore they still separate slightly even when clumped together.

I would take out the second shot, or do a more subtle glow. The overblown look in that picture is not doing you any good.

The lighting has a few contradictions:

• Sky dome is very cloudy yet the shadows are very sharp. Either bake softer shadows, or make a clearer sky.
    • Color of the lighting in the sky does not match with the color of the actual light. (Changed color on paint over)
    • Cloudy day would have more apparent AO. (Added on paint over)

There are other things that come to mind that could take this to the next level :) .

Sephez-AtumnParkB.jpg

As seen in the paint over, following a color palette makes the lighting more appealing. Ambient occlusion also helps the props look more grounded, and match the sky better. It also shows how a slight hue shift can separate the trees and create a readable composition. Having the foreground have the same contrast as background makes everything look flat, so in the paint over I made the background elements less contrast, mid-ground elements medium contrast, and foreground elements with highest contrast. Overall you doing a solid job, keep up the good work!

Best Regards,
  • riddlaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also notice how a subtle violet color on the shadows can give it more contrast, this can be achieved via post process, sky light, or other slightly tinted low intensity lights.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    The scene looks amazing and that paintover looks beautiful. It looked like a wonderful riot of colour before, but the cool warm contast makes it look stunning.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    that paintover should make it very obvious that your scene needs balance, and that something great can come out of it! follow it closely and you'll learn a lot. you could possibly pull all that off just with post-process fx.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, Sephez. Jolly god work so far. Riddlaz advices were spot so I just thought I'd add a bit on top
    feed1.jpg
    i'm sorry the overapint is so clumsy but I tried to be reaaal fast.

1.Because plants come in all forms and sizes, the benches are your size reference in this scene. And for me it felt a bit lost by those huge yellow leaves. I think that if you generally scale down the leaves a bit you'll get more small scale details that won't interfere with middle scale details and appear a bit more uniform, as bushes and not sets of leaves.

2.The road is pretty sterile, making it pretty boring. Cracks, patches, pebbles, puddles, dirt, some slight color variations - plenty of stuff to choose from to bring more life to it.

4.This one is probably the most important and I regret I didn't make it first.
    Right now your scene is lit as if the leaves are fully opaque but it's not the case in real life. Leaves are translucent and they let a lot of light bounce through. That's why your shadows seem too dark.
    I doubt you'll be hooking a real transluscnet material, but polycount wiki has a great hint on faking it, just scroll down a bit to "back lighting example"
    http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap
    As for the shadows you can just put little point lights beneath the tress and bushes to make it seem like light passes through. You might also want to fiddle with screenspace AO settings and set it to a brighter color to avoid those unrealistic blacks.

5.On some other pictures the seam between the ground and the stones is pretty obvious. You could set up a simple vertex blending material to create some moss along the bottom.
    http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Advanced_Vertex_Painting.html or
    http://www.3dmotive.com/training/udk/advanced-mesh-paint-with-udk/

6.Speaking of vertex blending. It looks as if you tree color are generally uniform. But that's no the case in real life either, you could have a part of the tree being yellow, some green and some red. This is also easily achievable with vertex painting - just use greyscale leaf texture and multiply it by vertex color and then you can paint some richer variety to your scene.

7.This basically comes out from point 4. Since the leaves are translucent they let some light pass through, but while they do they also color it. So some tinted fog would allow you to establish proper perspective while also contributing to the mood. You might also consider some volumetric lighting effects.

9.You should also consider some falling leaves particles 'cause those would be right at home here.

there. best of luck to you.)
  • Sephez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for taking your time to post and give feedback on my scene! You guys have made my day and more and I have certainly taken your advices to heart.

salacious_Crumb: Thank you! Yeah, that bin is still being worked on as it doesn't even have a UV-layout yet, haha. And I agree with you about the road.
    I promise you I'll fix that in the near future :)

Andrew Mackie: Thanks! You're right about the dark shadows.
    I'm gonna have to tweak a few things to brighten them up although I don't want to brighten them up too much since I like some of that contrast. I guess it's a fine balancing act :) I'll be sure to show some wires and textures in my next post.

riddlaz: Thank you for this very well thought-out post, everything you say is pretty spot on and I appreciate it! You've given me a lot to work with and I will keep everything you mentioned in mind :D I will definitely fix the lighting issues and work more with the contrast and readability of the park!

Walrus: Haha cheers!

Alberto Rdrgz: I completely agree. I've already learnt a lot and hopefully I'll learn even more as I continue working on this!

d1ver: As if one great paintover isn't enough, you're giving me a second one, thanks. Leaf sizes and more dirt&stuff on the road, got it. Now that's one nifty trick for faking translucency, I am going to give it a try today and see if it turns out well. Same with the vertex blending, thanks for the links.
    Falling leaves and white butterflys are on my to-do list once I get closer to finalizing the scene. I haven't dabbled much with particle effects yet so I'm really looking forward to that :)
  • riddlaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're welcome :). Keep up the good work, I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Best Regards,
  • Sephez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right, so here's an updated version. I believe I've addressed most of the issues and feedback but I'm not entirely happy just yet :D

I am going to fix the flatness of those orange bushes, finish the lamppost and trash bin, add some leaves lying on the benches and maybe add some more decals of stuff on the road.

Falling leaves, animating those white butterflies and adding some wind for my foliage are things that are on my to-do list as well. Right now I'm basing my foliage movement on the shaders by Epic in the foliage demo but I'd like to replace them with my own. Currently, the leaves and bushes are kind of "breathing" more than swaying so it looks slightly strange but hopefully that will be fixed soon :)

I never got that translucency trick to work so I used a workaround by multiplying the texture by a constant and plugging it into the emissive slot instead. And the vertex blending wasn't really working well with my trees as the paintbrush would paint everything horizontally across the entire mesh. But it worked really well with the bushes next to the benches though, gave them some nice gradients.

I'm still open for suggestions to the entrance and anything else I might've forgot to mention or notice :)

Sephez_autumn.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Autumn is my favourite season and as a kid I have fond memories of the colours that the sun eminated on to the scenery and my point is...you nailed it :)

No crits from me. I'd be proud of a portfolio piece like that.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Great progress.
    - Cool trick with just emissive. You should also consider some Emissive for the flowers upfront-too dark right now.

- A little point light for the lower right part of the pic(under the tree)

- Also UDK->View->World Properties->Lightmass->Environment Color to color or brighten up your shadows a bit. Seems like it's black now.

- How about a more interesting sky? A sky's a sky but it's a huge and bright chunk of your image that most people tend to overlook since they just download it. You could find or paint a bit more interesting moody cloud pattern that would accentuate your scene better. Might also tint a bit with violet or yellow for more color integrity. The shadows seem pretty long, so it could be close to sunset.

- Slight volumetric lightbeams coming through the trees if placed subtly and strategically could make the scene much more magical. There are already are a bunch premade in udk so you just take one, make your own material instance, quickly adjust it and you're good to go. Shouldn't be more than a couple of minutes
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VolumetricLightingGuide.html

-Butterflies:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-77792.html

-A a little flock of birds flying off in the distance to add a little bit of a story and accentuate the autumn mood? They are done the same as butterflies pretty much so it's no extra workload.

-A little patch for the road?
    http://www.valleyadvocate.com/blogs/gallery/Bridge.rd.patch.JPG
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2583/3703758839_e337277a3e_d.jpg

- also if you come up with some other little details to tell a story it would make scene that much more interesting too look at. Maybe some crayon drawings on the asphalt or something?
  • Sephez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi: Haha, that's quite the compliment! Thanks a lot :)

d1ver
    : You're truly one untapped source of knowledge for me, aren't you :D Your suggestions and links are greatly appreciated!

Yeah, you are probably right about that corner being too dark and I think one contributing factor is the vignette I've got going on. I'm not sure if I want to brighten the shadows up too much as I like the contrast of light/dark right now but I'll experiment some more.

I've totally been neglecting the sky as it's still the default one and it's been working kinda well this far but I can give it a try! Painting's fun and it's a good practice making your own :) Only thing I'm concerned of by making my own would be the static look of it. The one Epic's made got layers of clouds moving in parallax and I'm not really sure if I can fake that.

Actually, there are some lightbeams placed there already but I guess they need changing. Wouldn't want to miss out on the magical feeling :D

That's a great idea, I'll try to implement some more story elements into the scene. Right now there isn't really much space to do it on so if I get the time I'll try to make this an entire level and not just a corner of a park. I need to start sending out applications for my internship soon though so I'm running out of time, which is both a blessing and a curse haha. :)
  • Sephez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right, so I'm calling this scene done, thanks for all the great feedback guys :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhGvItExEc0[/ame]
  • Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work :) the particles really help bring it too life. maybe add a bit of camera motion too? a pan or slow zoom would add an extra dynamic. Slightly static at the moment.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    very nice work =) for some reason nicely executed scenes you could just walk into around the corner in real life are the most impressive to me. and this one is definitely great :)
    wasnt too fond of the flowers in the screenshots but they work well in the video. great job :)
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work man. Simply blew me away. Just wanted to pint out real quick that in the video at about 45 seconds there is a section of grass that seems to be moving up and down way more than it should be in the bottom right area.

Other than that, wonderful execution. Good luck with graduation.
  • Sephez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wombatinahat: Yeah, I agree with you but right now I'm more focused on other stuff like getting a portfolio site up and running ^^ Pehaps later!

divi: Haha, thanks :D I'm glad you like it

darbeenbo: Oh wow, I never really noticed it lol. It kinda looks like the foliage brush painted that grass mesh beneath the ground =/ If I get the time I'll try and fix that and the camera movements but for now I'll just leave them be. But thank you nevertheless :D
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work all around :]
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    This is awesome. Great Job!