Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M2 Browning 50Cal

Ive been working on and off on this thing for a while, so i thought id post it here to get some feedback

Right now ive only done a basic texturepass on this to give it most of the look i want.

The actual gun is around 8k tris, but the belt is way too highpoly. but i wanted it to feel realistic and not skip on the details around the links that hold it together.

I will post more stuff like texture and wireframe once im done with it!

50Cal.jpg

50CaL.jpg

Replies

• Geledonutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy snikes! thats one sexy looking 50 cal! wires!
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    looking really good
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I've been waiting for a thread on this for a while. The brushed metal does it wonders, since it's your first texture pass i won't crit to much on the texture, though I'm not sure what you have planned for it but maybe some sort of avatar/symbol to cover the large open area on its left?

It's very nice anyway.

Out of curiosity did you Boolean or bend modify the barrel?
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really nice! I recently started looking for ref pics of this weapon, do you have any tips on where i might find some good ones?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    that looks very nice. bake looks like it came out very well. id like to see the high poly. :D

also.. how exactly do the bullets feed into the gun? it looks like they dont fit.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for liking this, ive become a bit blind after working on it.

Gele: Ill post some in a bit

Lazerus : I booleaned it, it was very hard to wrap my head around it and get the normals of the cylinder to work properly, but finally i realised i had to match the segments correctly and it worked like a charm, i probably just overthought it though.

Pzychaoz: Google is your friend, i just filtered for large images on "m2 browning"

Oniram: I didnt make a highpoly actually, i made the surface and some of the details on the normalmap in photoshop, but most is just the lowpoly modeled so that the normals on the edges looks ok. Drawback is that in some areas i spend some extra tris to get a smoother result, but it cuts a huge amount of work out since i dont have to highpoly and bake. Works for these kinds of models, specially with tools like nDo to do bolts etc directly in photoshop.

The bullets fit perfectly, its just the angle that makes it look like they clip, ill post better screenshots later.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    heres the few first things that poped when i first saw it

u have a good base but your missing alot of primery details that can make it look more interesting, like the rear sight and all the details between the grips

texture wise, i see 2 colors, on of the base, and one for wear, u will need to add much more, give different textures/shaders to different parts, even the base texture of the body should have some warm/cold spots depending on the use on the gun

maybe even use real textures to get some unique damage/wear/scratches etc..

dont rush. it looks like you made it in 1 days.

u gonna have to be ready to spend more time on those kind of stuff

hope that helps
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definately helps, ive been thinking i should model the entire bipod and the ammo box to make the overall look more interesting, it would add more variety.
    Alot of the details that will be added are missing are probably because i didnt make a normalmap yet, other than some fine surface stuff.

So far i havnt spent near enough time on the textures, and i also recently lost my Diffuse texture when it was open and my computer crash, corrupting the file, but on the bright side starting over again actually helped make the base texture and its details better since i learned some stuff from the first pass.

The base texture in it self needs a little more work, but the hard part is finding a balance on the wear and tear on the flat surface where the gun is less likely to get wear and tear.

The sight is actually there, its just folded down, probably from the reference i used.

Thanks for the tips!
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, heres an update, ive worked both the model and the textures a bit, still lots to do, i got some details that i havnt had time to make a pass on and some more model work to do, but its definately looking better imo!

m2wip2.jpg

m2wip1.jpg

work-in-progress.html
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe try and make the muddy marks on the metal make more sense, for example now there's a great deal of it around the handle on the right side yet none actually on the handle which would be hard to pull off in real life.

Also as spitfire said you could add a little more variation in the actual metal, spec and diffuse rather than a base metal with scratches and dark muddyness added to it.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Its good, I like the metal, but the wood handles aren't really selling it for me, maybe you can have it more fading?
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres another update, added a tripod, no texture on it though i just slapped something on there to make it look better in a picture.

I tried rendering it in max with the xoliul shader, definately a different result than in marmoset
    Im not quite sure if i like the results in xoliul though, its hard to get the spec to look like i want it too

Lots of work to do on the materials and details, and giving more areas of the gun proper workthrough.

m2browning2.jpg

m2browning1.jpg
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13