Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Danny Pierce, Character/Environment Artist

Hey everyone, emot_smile.gif

My name is Danny Pierce and I'm currently looking for work As an Environment/Level Artist. While I've been learning 3D for quite some time, I have yet to work in the industry so I'd likely be looking for an entry/junior level position.

www.dannypierce3d.com

Any feedback/crits of my work and the site itself are of course welcome and appreciated!

Best Regards,
Danny

Replies

• Permafrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biggest point here is that if your looking for an environment/level artist position then show that in your portfolio. Right now you have what looks to be a partial environment, a building, a few props and some characters. Get some good Environment pieces put together and showcase that in your portfolio. Also I wouldn't put a W.I.P piece in there, especially if this is what your showing potential employers. Other than that I enjoy the layout loads quickly and easy to navigate. Also the piece with the columns (second piece down on the left) is really dark. It's kind of hard to make out the details.
  • Gumballcrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would it be better to distinguish myself as more of a prop artist do you think?
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Site-wise, I think you should make your gallery your home page. All people want to see right off the bat is your work, and then you can put your bio and personal life story on the contact/about.

I also somewhat agree with Permafrost. You don't really have enough character/environment work to justify calling yourself either one, I would just label yourself 3d artist, or Game Artist, and then let the work speak for itself. With a portfolio already this diverse, nailing yourself into a corner isn't what you want to shoot for - you can do that once you have a world-class body of character or environment work.
  • Gumballcrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good points, I'm gonna change it to just "3D Artist" and take down any WIPs and maybe some of the less impressive stuff. I think you're right about making the gallery the main page too. Thanks again for the suggestions :D anymore are def welcome.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    Would it be better to distinguish myself as more of a prop artist do you think?

no need imo, cauz its all environemnt art anyways. Afetrall "props only" is too limited, u never know - sometimes level pieces maybe given to juniors cauz some props may be too complex and someone more experienced may do them ;)

But i think u could remove characters from there if u r targeting environment art.
    Also some breakdowns could be useful too.
  • Gumballcrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some of the changes suggested, getting on the rest. Any tips for landing that first job from anyone? lol
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    work is nice. layout of website is very simple (good thing). easy to navigate. good job. :D
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I were you, I would get rid of the Head Sculpt and Human Male sculpt. They aren't on the same level as the rest of your work. Good luck on landing that elusive first job man.
  • Gumballcrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks oni and mjackson! I think i'm gonna try and improve the Human male sculpt, but I definitely agree that the Head has to go. It was one of my first Zbrush sculpts and definitely shows it's age.