Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Silth's Ambush Progress Thread

Hi everyone, I'm working on my last semester of school and I'm doing a concept by Massive Black called Ambush. I'm pretty excited about it, and can't wait to get your guys' feedback through out the next couple months as I move forward in this.

Here's the concept I'm working from.

ambush_atari_final3b.jpg

Replies

• Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so after a couple hours between classes I started some work on the Raptor just to get in the hang of modeling again, some feedback would be great. I plan on taking this mesh into Zbrush and detailing the hell out of it.

Thanks

raptorProgress01_side.jpgraptorProgress01_front.jpgraptorProgress01_3quarter.jpg
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    You are very bold! Seems like a lot of work, but so far I'd have to say the velociraptor's arms are way too high. Instead of being setup with muscles of their own it would look like they're coming out of his back instead of his sides. Other than that hope to see more as time goes on.
  • Deammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Proportions look right on, the tail-to-body ratio look perfect.

The limbs are a little off though: too many joints on the arms and not enough on the legs. I always use a skeleton as a ref when i do modelling:
    look here

I also think you should put the feet a little closer together from the front view.

Keep us fed with progress :P
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deammer wrote: »
    Nice! Proportions look right on, the tail-to-body ratio look perfect.

The limbs are a little off though: too many joints on the arms and not enough on the legs. I always use a skeleton as a ref when i do modelling:
    look here

I also think you should put the feet a little closer together from the front view.

Keep us fed with progress :P

Thanks for the input, that reference image helps alot compared to what I was initially using. http://www.history.com/minisites/jurassic-fight-club/dinopedia/images/utahraptor.png

I'll make some fixes tomorrow and have an update :)
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Deammer wrote: »
    Nice! Proportions look right on

Mmm, not sure about that. I don't know my dinosaurs but there definitely seems to be some big problems. I'd say get a ton of references as a single side-on picture won't help that much, still early days yet. Good luck with it.
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the hips might be too wide. I would also bring in the shoulders. Good start.
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, what dromeosaurid is it? Looks a bit like a deinonychus.

Hips are too wide, shoulders should be put lower and remade. Widen the ribcage. I can't believe it'd keep balance on legs like that. Without changing position of the knee move foot and ankle further to the back. Second toe (the one with the giant claw) should be the largest. Also, the skull gets narrower at the end of the muzzle. Shape is triangular from the tip of the head, along the nostrils, first skull opening, up to the eye sockets, where skull gets square-shaped.
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the great feedback. I think I was able to make most of the changes that were recommended, and I've got the new base mesh done, so check it out and let me know.

Thanks!

raptorProgress02_side.jpg

raptorProgress02_front.jpg

raptorProgress02_3quarter.jpg

Going to start working on the Chick, any advice on Hair?

Thanks!
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

I know it's been a little while since I posted but got swamped with my other classes :(

Well here is some progress, did a couple hours of Zbrushing earlier today on the Raptor and would love you guys' feedback.

raptorProgress03_3quarter.jpg

raptorProgress03_side.jpg

raptorProgress03_front.jpg

I also started on the Girl, I've only done the base body model, but I'll be working on the rest of it this weekend.

girlProgress01_front.jpg

girlProgress01_3quarter.jpg

girlProgress02_3quarter.jpg

Any Advice on what I should do for the Hair?

Thanks!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    I think the raptor's head should be a bit bigger, same for ur human model. Interesting concept/scene to do tho, good luck!
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the velociraptor finished. The basemesh looks awesome, but I think the feet are a bit off, as it doesn't look like it's got much of a heel. But other than that, I really can't wait to see it textured and posed.
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

Did a bit more work today on the texture of the Raptor, also think I finally got his feet fixed. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

raptorProgress04_3quarter.jpg

raptorProgress04_front.jpg

raptorProgress04_side.jpg
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Everyone,

So I'm back on the Raptor, after looking at the thing I knew I could do much better, had a friend kick me a little too. So I did some research, stumbled across this really great tutorial, and I'm working on implementing it. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peCPJoZyPAk"]Creature Design R2: Sculpting Skin/Scales As A Workflow - YouTube[/ame]

Here's what I'll be building off of to Zbrush the Scales on and all that. As you can see I've made a couple of changes to the Raptor, a couple things to help it match the middle one a bit more (Spikey Head) and I've beefed up the back legs a bit more and knee to give it a more realistic feel.

I'm trying to take this thing to the next level, just have to break that shy sculpting barrier.

raptorProgress05_side.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, this looking much better with every post!
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Computron! It's taking quite a bit of work so far, and some motivation :D About to have to dig in for some more.

So I've been working on the scales last night and this morning. I've got a Milestone due Friday, and it seems I've got some weird geo going on at the tail for some reason, so it looks like I'll get my first chance to re-topo. Should be interesting?

I think it'll be fore the best though, there appears to be some areas like on the hind leg and the torso that could use it for the skin work I've been doing. Guess I'll find out how this affects what I've done so far, and if I'm going to have to redo that skin work.

Here are some updated pics to, feel free to comment and critique!

raptorProgress06_side.jpg

raptorProgress06_face.jpg

raptorProgress06_3quarter.jpg

raptorProgress06_front.jpg
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good lines for re-topo?

raptorProgress06_topo.jpg
  • Silth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Everyone,

I was able to re-topo the raptor and did a first pass at textureing. I decided to go with a different texture color scheme for this one as I won't be able to finish the entire Scene for my final project.

Let me know what you guys think.

thanks!

raptorProgress07_side.jpg

raptorProgress07_face.jpg

raptorProgress07_3quarter.jpg

raptorProgress07_front.jpg