Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo 3 Style Dungeon

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
stubs3d polycounter lvl 10
I was really impressed with the art style of Diablo 3 and wanted to do something similar, yet add enough of my own style to make it a little unique. I'd love to hear some comments and crits, good or bad. I'm just trying to be a better artist, and would love to hear your opinions.

dungeon0195.jpg
dungeon0275.jpg
dungeon0465.jpg

The animation is also on my preliminary environment/prop reel if you care to take a look.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5stvAjhiuI&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Replies

• MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    First off, this is looking really cool! There are just two things that instantly stood out to me:

Darkness, your seen is too dark. Sure darkness is scary and having dark parts will help you keep it mysterious and creepy. However to much darkness will make the level hard to read and take down the overall quality of the level. Instead of it being mysterious in a creepy and curious way it'll be mysterious in a way where I'm wondering what the heck is going on in the seen. Imagine monsters running around in your level, it would be impossible to spot them in certain areas.

Also all the lights in your scene are flickering, even though this adds to the mood of the scene it will also get on your nerves after a while. Have some flickering but also have some static light in there or at least make it a bit more subtle.

As for the second thing that instantly stood out to me are some of the edges on your objects. Especially the railings have super sharp edges and just doesn't look right for some reason (unnatural maybe?). Adding geometry should work but it would add a lot of geometry to your scene, what you could also do is see if you can paint in a bit of a bevel onto the textures.Since you won't have any close ups in these types of games I think you could get away with faking it in textures.

Keep it up, looks great already.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    That looks cool but a bit hard to read. Maybe you could try using brighter ambient color?
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    awesome stuff mate! i have to agree with the others about the darkness tho
    the video is amazing, i will actually download it
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    lookin nice man.

main problems i see is that your large scale changes arent happening at the high up camera angle youve got. the reuse becomes too noticeable. try some mixmaps to blend between different materials. Try adding some localized damage to specific areas around the ground to break up the tiling.

Also, agreed with the flickering. theres just way too much of it, very large scale flickering. really tone down how much the light flickers on or off, go with something more subtle. the torches themselves simply aren't moving enough to dim that much.

also try pushing your texture shapes more, some of the textures are getting a little bland and flat along area's like the ground.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    really like what you did, and i agree with the comments on the flickering lighting and the ambience.

Also maybe get a splash of secondary colors? like a purple/gold tapestry on parts of the walls to break them up a little, other than that no crits, its looking really solid. What did you use to render these scenes?
  • stubs3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate them all. I'm in agreement with most of you on just about everything. Good call about the flickering, the darkness, etc. Also, DUH, Ambient light, that would have made a huge difference and I never even thought about it. :( Good call on the purple and gold tapestries as well, that would have set it off just right. Thanks again everyone!
  • stubs3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was all rendered in max, but everything was built to go into UDK. No normal maps on the dungeon part though.