Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Game Character

Hi I am fairly new to 3d modeling and I figured "Hey why not make a game using the UDK to test me." So well here is the main character for the game, unfinished of course but its all I have right now.
SkullBoy2.jpg

SkullBoy.jpg

Its not final and I still have a lot to learn and do but this is what I have gotten so far. Any critics and/or suggestions would be much appreciated. There will be more to come at a future date.

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like a sackboy with a skull for a head, freaky stuff!
  • TheFallen1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, its for a "top-down" game I'm making. I figured that it would start with Sackboy as its base, and then build upon it to get what I really want. Eventually, the body won't resemble sackboy at all, he'll be sporting armor and flames.

He should look something like this when I'm done. Then onto the other stuff.
    MainChar.jpg
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    Lol it'll still look like a sackboy due to the proportions, but I get what you mean. So by top-down do you mean dungeon crawler, pokemon style, or what? Because that kind of helps with a more informed critique. Different games kind of require different approaches. I'd love to hear more about your idea though.

As for the 3D model right now I think if you round out the arms a bit they won't look so much like smoothed rectangles. Also may I ask what's going on with the legs? They look like they have dashes and I'm unsure if that's a viewport issue or something with the geometry.
  • TheFallen1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proportion-wise the Sackboy body is what we wanted, but the overall look of the character doesn't look like one. A lot of people base their designs off other known objects and models, and change it until its completely different.
    As a reference for the type of top-down game we're looking at making, heres a picture of the angle that we want:
    http://cdn.eat3d.com/files/imagecache/blog_content/blog_images/jazz_ios_tut.jpg
    We want it to be an awesome zombie-killer game. My brother has designed the zombies, will design the weapons and look and layout for the maps and such. Other than that we still have to come up with a more explored storyline.

I agree with your critique of the arms, I was planning on rounding them before I start with the rest. As for the legs, when I used mesh-smooth on the models it came out like that, but I plan on optimizing the character as well.

Thanks for the feedback and observations. Feel free to ask questions and point stuff out.