Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Razvan Luta, Environment and Prop Artist

Hi guys.
I've been roaming around this forum for a while, but didn't really get the nerve to post anything up to now, so here it is.
I have around 11 months until I graduate from college and will be looking for a full time job so I'd love if you guys (and girls) would comment on my work as well as the way in which it is currently displayed on the website.

Also, suggesting areas that I should focus on improving would be great too.

Whatever, you know what to. And thank you in advance!

Here it is: www.razvanimation.com

Replies

• Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    You need to be able to click your images and get a larger version. They are too small right now.

Also, your banner at the top looks too much like the other images. I clicked it and was expecting it to be another piece of your portfolio, but it just took me back to the home page.
  • razvanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you are saying. Maybe I should make some Lightbox pop-ups when you click the image...
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I see what you are saying. Maybe I should make some Lightbox pop-ups when you click the image...

I really don't like Lightbox images. But that's just me.
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    The ground droid looks unfinished, i think you should remove it or finish it. The train would look better if you combined the ao and diffuse into one image.
  • razvanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix wrote: »
    The ground droid looks unfinished, i think you should remove it or finish it. The train would look better if you combined the ao and diffuse into one image.

Ok. I'll probably move on to adding a third level of detail on the droid. The train is also soon to be part of a larger scene, maybe that will help.
    Thanks for the critique!
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    As people already mentioned, make your images clickable so that I can view them in their full resolution if I wanted to.

Your strongest piece is probably the temple, it has some interesting colors and lighting.

The scifi scene is a bit too weathered and generic for me, it needs colors that harmonize better with each other and the lighting is non existent.

The car is way too dark and you can barely distinguish it from the background. The modeling on it looks good, it just lacks proper presentation.

For the dungeon pieces it would be great if you presented them in a small scene instead of just the assets themselves.
  • razvanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Images. Temple. Lighting. Finishing dungeon. Got it ! Thanks.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Loads way too slow with the full rez images pulling up scaled down after you just click on the project, and I have 10meg internet. Have the high rez images pull up after you click on the scaled down version that fits your website layout.
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMHO, naming your site razanimation sends the wrong message to possible employers. If you're an environment prop artist, why do you have animation as your site name?
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    ZacD wrote: »
    Loads way too slow with the full rez images pulling up scaled down after you just click on the project, and I have 10meg internet. Have the high rez images pull up after you click on the scaled down version that fits your website layout.

This ^

Don't use code to scale your images.. make small images with Photoshop and link them to big images.

edit.. the chains on the train.. either loose them or edit the alpha. In the material properties in UDK there's an option called "Opacity Mack Clip Value" its in the "Material" drop down.. play with that a bit.

and perhaps a bit too heavy on the DOF in your Temple environment.. but thats just a nitpick.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    So, are you a animator?

*cough*

Great work. The temple is the best. Lovely lighting, though, id love to see more of it with less film blur around the edges.
  • razvanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ ZacD - I will working on rez-ing the images next.
    @ brandoom - thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can do that in UDK
    @ RictusGrin, whats_true - when I thought about the domain name, I was thinking more in lines with anything moving is animation, not necessarily animation for the sake of film or games in particular, but I see your point and you could be right about it being misleading to any audience. I just thought it would be clever :D