Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Model Help

Hey everyone, I am working on a model, and have hit a wall. I was wondering how you guys would go about modeling the teeth of a saw blade, or the whole saw blade in general. I am looking for a low poly approach to this, and have completely hit a wall with this saw blade.

Here's the blade I am trying to create.

ATBToothsawblade_7087.jpg

Replies

• Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Depends on how lowpoly you wanna go. The lowest you can go technically is just a plane with an alpha on it, but that wouldn't be much of modeling would it now?

The way I would go about it would be to make one tooth and then duplicate it radially and then merge all the copies. If you use Maya then using Duplicate Special with the Instance option turned on will allow you to make all the copies and have them update across all the copies as you work on one of them. Very useful for lining up the verts and seeing how the end result will be.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to model the whole thing make just a section of it like 1/10 and then set the pivot in the middle of the circle and copy over 10 times while rotating.
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to model the teeth separate, but then there is that band that connects the teeth together, then there is the main (lighter metal) cylinder. I was thinking I would have to model the whole teeth/band together.

So, model one of the band's teeth, duplicate it 180 degrees, model the band, then connect it all to the main cylinder?
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ye you could do it this way but as I said it would be easier if you medel one section (Teeth+Blade) and copy it by rotating and then weld all pieces :)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Should have asked this in "how you model dem shapes" thread, but meh, heres how i'd do it...

howtogif.gif

Make a cylinder with double amount of faces to the amount of blades you require.

Select every other face around the edge

Extrude outward

Rotate extruded faces into direction of the teeth

Select inside verts, push them out and rotate a little to make the inner side of the teeth

Add bevels/mesh smooth

New edge loop in middle of mesh, bridge it through to make the hole, bevel that too... (should have done before the previous step but i forgot ;) )

If you want that little edge just before the base of the teeth, just add an extra edge loop around the cylinder.

Edit: Just realised you wanted a low poly approach... i guess the only way would be to A, same technique as this, but with a flat circle not a cylinder, or B, Alpha plane. With so many teeth it clocks up polys quickly
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should have asked this in "how you model dem shapes" thread, but meh, heres how i'd do it...

howtogif.gif

Make a cylinder with double amount of faces to the amount of blades you require.

Select every other face around the edge

Extrude outward

Rotate extruded faces into direction of the teeth

Select inside verts, push them out and rotate a little to make the inner side of the teeth

Add bevels/mesh smooth

New edge loop in middle of mesh, bridge it through to make the hole, bevel that too... (should have done before the previous step but i forgot ;) )

Well, goddamn, thankyou ! Thanks for the reply also Bart, I am going to try both ways, and see what I come up with. :)
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, if anyone was wondering what I need a saw blade for, I am trying to recreate this weapon from Dead Island.

182-dead-island-ripper-dlc-weapon.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    giles' got a pretty good method there. Going to be hard to do it much lower poly.

One way to decrease a lot of polys is to bake the texture down from that model. Then add a 2 tri face to each side (that's the same exact size of the blade) and apply the baked tex with alpha to the planes. Then delete all the faces on the flat surfaces. (ie only leave the teeth sides)

This can cut a lot of polys, but also requires you to be very exact so the alpha teeth line up with the modelled teeth sides.
    It also doesn't allow the teeth to tapar for sharp tips if needed. (probably not)
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Bart, I am getting this when I try and rotate the inner vertices , any suggestions on how to fix this?

unledxma.jpg
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The polygons are streching becouse they aren't capped/connected into triangles or quads.

You should do it this way. :) Don't forget to have Angle Snap Toggle ON

saws.jpg
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bart wrote: »
    The polygons are streching becouse they aren't capped/connected into triangles or quads.

You should do it this way. :) Don't forget to have Angle Snap Toggle ON

saws.jpg

I like you Bart. This seems like the simplest, low poly way, thankyou! very much. :)
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No probs :) Glad I could help
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    You can cut the poly count down a bit by deleting the faces in the center of the blade and replacing them with quads.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, by getting ride of that middle vert you only save 1 tri right?
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you guys say this is a good basic block out?
    I don't know much about tri count, and what is really considered low poly for a game engine, I think it's about 5k isn't it?

Anyways, I think I will turn this into a progress thread... with a crappy thread title, ohwell.
    C&C I really wanna finish this model, and I would love peoples critique throughout the process, instead of finishing it, then having to go back and alter it with loads of critic.

baty.jpg

Reference image again.

dead-island-ripper.jpg
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We would need to see your wireframe in order to comment on your topology, but it looks good so far. Proportions seem correct and you don't have any visible shading errors. The likeness isn't 100% though, but I'm not sure how accurate you're aiming to be.
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh right, wireframe! Sorry about that. Here are two one of the whole scene, and a close up of the blade.

37389218.jpg82585120.jpgI was hoping to not be 100% spot on to what they did. I was going to go for pretty much the same concept (motorized saw blade on a bat). I think I am going to do a different type of grip on the bat ( maybe a wrapped cloth ), and a different metal texture, maybe with a logo, however I think everything else I will be aiming to recreate based on the image, minus spot on proportions.

Thanks for the comment! Hoping for some more critic :)

Edit: Are the wires alright? Topology wise, I always think I have the worst topology, and complete scarp models in frustration.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need the edges marked with red. I assume you forgot to delete them before you duplicated the teeth.

You can collapse the edge rings marked in blue if you want to save polycount.

NA4jX.jpg
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou for the reply, I retopo'd this thing, and adjusted the edge on the saw tooth for a nice edge flow.

37587170.jpg

Bat may be a little too low poly. but I made a backup of the higher-poly bat. Think this should be good to move on to the other peices/detailing this up a bit more?

Edit: Forgot to put smooth back on for this screengrab, don't mind that.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, tricount (polycount) for engines varies widely and is changing all the time.

It used to be that a low poly character was 500-1200 tris, so a weapon would be maybe 200-250 (quite a bit less than a character). But now mobile devices are close to that.

And a low poly character is probably around 2500 with a normal map. A high would be 5000 with normal.

Of course these numbers are subjective to engine/project/etc...

I think TF2 characters are no more than 5000, and weaps no more than 2500. But it's approaching 4 years old... They also didn't use normal maps much.

I still think 2500 is pretty good for a weapon, you can get quite a bit of detail with that. And typically weapons aren't even seen fully, or they move a lot...
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't planning on using this in a mod or anything, I'm just trying to get into the right polygon range for current games, so I don't over do it.

I was probably at most going to put it into UDK to see how it looked. I was hoping to end around around >5k tri-count, with 1024x1024 texture sheest for Diffuse, Spec, Normal maps