Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Colt Python

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Surfa polycounter lvl 12
Well it has been a while since I have done any modelling (about a year and a half) but I have started a somewhat serious project so obviously poly-count is the place to go for the crits and stuff.

wip-render1.jpg
wip-render2.jpg
wip-render3.jpg
wip-render4.jpg

Now the middle frame section need to be re-done as it is messy and also contains quite a few inaccuracies.

I still haven't decided if I just wanted to create a render or if I will put it into a game-engine at some point so the edges may seem somewhat sharp (I can always go back and loosen them up a bit).

Replies

• cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    I'm interested to see how you made the notches on the cylinder. Mind sharing an un-smoothed wireframe image of that section, it would help. thx :)
    Great work btw, looks awesome.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    I tryed many different ways to model the cylinder just as experiments and in the end I settled for and planes bent round into shape removing a replacing loops with shift + (swift loop) in order to produce a rounder shape.

Another way I did try which also worked quite nicely was to create displacement maps for the cut-outs in Photoshop and apply then to a cylinder using basic uv-mapping techniques. I then used this mesh as a guideline when modelling out of a cylinder.

In the image below 1 is the final un-bent shape I used 2 is the bent mesh unsmoothed and 3 is the displacement mapping result before retopo.

SRFm8U.jpg
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    Just to let you know I did some search and I came across this thread which might be useful.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86258&highlight=revolver

I found the sculpting approach to be a interesting take on things so I opened up blender and gave it ago with the alphas in the thread.

Kw6sMN.jpg
    Obviously it is a bit rough around the edges but it does create a nice base for a retopo session and if you use z-brush or mudbox I am sure you could produce better results.
  • DietCoke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good! I strongly urge you to go full game model. This is polycount after all! That cylinder is amazing man! I've modeled two revolvers in the past few months, and the cylinders always gave me a lot of trouble. Your method is so clever!
    One minor critique I have is that the grip looks a tad thick. I feel like the ridges in the grip should wrap the handle more, instead of being placed "on the front," for lack of a better term. KEEP. IT. UP.
  • D.Carmine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This revolver looks awesome. Keep up the good work! I would love to see how it turns out.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking very good surfa, I like it alot. If it’s possible would you be able to show some wireframes of the gun such as the shots you have above.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    DietCoke wrote: »
    Looking good! I strongly urge you to go full game model. This is polycount after all! That cylinder is amazing man! I've modeled two revolvers in the past few months, and the cylinders always gave me a lot of trouble. Your method is so clever!
    One minor critique I have is that the grip looks a tad thick. I feel like the ridges in the grip should wrap the handle more, instead of being placed "on the front," for lack of a better term. KEEP. IT. UP.

I see what you mean about the grip the ridges should also probably have a sharper pinch. The problem is the colt python seems to have loads of different types of grips depending on the manufacture. I think some more research is needed.

I recently started re-doing the frame but I will post wireframes as soon as that is completed.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    Not really done a lot recently on this model and in the end after re-modelling the frame I went back to the old one as it was producing nicer results (even if it is a little bit harder to work with).
    wip-render5.jpg

Also was there any bit in particular you wanted a wire-frame or as maybe I could help explain how it was modelled.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Surfa, a wireframe of the image above would be nice and also one without the cylindrical barrel thingy
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I’m really bad with names but is the long part of the gun a floating object or a extruded part of the geometry
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    The cylinder looks super soft, this is really noticeable on the cylinder stop. And it's also modeled wrong, it looks like you have to shift the cartridge holes.

stock-photo-open-cylinder-of-revolver-with-one-bullet-inside-7306921.jpg

175675.jpg

5407997-cylinder-open-on-a-pistol-that-operates-as-a-revolver.jpg
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    fuzzio wrote: »
    I’m really bad with names but is the long part of the gun a floating object or a extruded part of the geometry

It is a floating object that isn't connected.

Here is a smoothed wire I will take some more un-smoothed wires later.
    2KLFg3.jpg

Good Shout Alberto Rdrgz I tighten'd up the loops and it is looking better but your right about the inaccuracies so I may take another shot at he cylinder. Also those reference shots will come in handy so thanks.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    All you gotta do is detach some faces and spin them, no big deal.