Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP-Generic Female Head model

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
SoulfulJudge polycounter lvl 6
Recently i have been working on a character model. I wanted to spend little extra time on the head to make sure that it was solid. My Human anatomy is far from perfect. I was hoping with this post that i could get some feedback. Comments are always appreciated.

P.S. Disregard the hole in middle of the head. It was suppose to be for the ear that i never made (and its in the wrong spot :()

Statistic-
75,850 points(what visible)
Subdivision LV4
Zbrush 4.0
Pearl Cavity

characterstrip.png

Replies

• Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Statistic-
    75,850 points(what visible)
    Subdivision LV4
    Zbrush 4.0
    Pearl Cavity
    This is irrelevant. Show us your reference.
  • SoulfulJudge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, Here are my references, they are from 3D.SK (from Blenderella DVD)

references.png
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    When I first learnt to do facial modelling I started in 3dsmax using front and side refs as images in the viewports. I think this was pretty good as it forces you to spend a lot of time creating the face and you get to know the edge loops and stuff. There's a load of tuts out there, can't link any at the moment. Just my 2cents really.

It seems that you went for the details fast and missed the basics of the head.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Well, the head is looking rather flat. There is a total lack of bone structure underneath the skin which makes the piece look boneless with a bad silhouette. The human face is 70% defined by the underlying structure - the skull, then fat deposits and lastly individual features.

2zqdb9y.jpg

The first thing you should do is study facial anatomy - bones that make up our skulls (most important) and then muscles. Get a good anatomy book if you don't have one. Second, if your goal is to get the likeness of an individual, you need to get the proportions right from the start. Eyes placement in relation to nose, mouth, forehead (hairline), ears, etc. The likeness should be recognizable on a low subdiv level. The high-res mesh won't look right if the low-res is off.

marquardt.s.gif

In any case, best of luck in your studies!
  • SoulfulJudge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciation.