Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Recent Work - Ingame

Hi there all,
Here are a few new samples of work I have been creating..
In game renders. Feedback much appreciated!!

Dumpster Model
6tiz5w.jpg

Pillar
2lwudmq.jpg

Skate Ramp
n34qvp.jpg

Shot Gun
2urkwvs.jpg

Iron Man Model
2kld0g.jpg

More work at
www.wix.com/pookanimation/3d
pookanimation@hotmail.com

Replies

• HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    why did you just re-post? we saw your portfolio and work
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87784
    go back and read through the comments and you will know what we all think
    and btw why do you still have those 360 and ps3 images on your stuff?
    were they in a released game?
  • DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    the dumpster you "did" was from a tutorial off the net
    and the pillar looks very similar to the eat 3d next gen pillar video here > http://eat3d.com/pillar

But idk, use these tutorials as a process on how to do things , not to copy and put them on your portfolio ?
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Dumpster & Pillar are both 100% My own original work. Good to see I'm doing it the way the pros are though so thanks!!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    NOPE. Get your game up! :santa:

800 polys for that dumpster? no way dude no way.

www.3dmotive.com

go go go go go go go go!
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NOPE. Get your game up! :santa:

800 polys for that dumpster? no way dude no way.

www.3dmotive.com

go go go go go go go go!

No way as in you don't believe its 800poly? Cause I know how many polys my work is! hah
    Or do you mean it should be lower?
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put the 360 & PS3 logo on to show that it's game engine ready, the assets could easily be used in the engines used, polycount & texture size
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Just wondering, why do you put the number of polys instead of tris? Is it 800 quads which is 1600 tris, 800 tris or a mixture of quads and tris which add up to 800?
  • Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about just mentioning they are real time game assets? adding the platform logo make people assume they are from a released game.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    I don't understand the the PS3 and XBOX 360 tags, are these shot from those systems? They are models that were put in games in both of those systems?
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's 800quads I'm still new to the presenting side and terminology thought 'poly' was the known term for quads anyway
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    what game engine are these assets in?
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about just mentioning they are real time game assets? adding the platform logo make people assume they are from a released game.

Yeah I understand what you mean Wombat, didn't think of that! I was reading a website that gave all the stats of different platforms and then I made the models with those platform stats in mind, so put the logos to show it would be easy to use in those types.

Nice to see someone explain it in a nice way though..
    some arsy people on here haha
  • Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's 800quads I'm still new to the presenting side and terminology thought 'poly' was the known term for quads anyway
    For you poly count you want to list the tri count. As that is what most game engines will break the model down too anyway.
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    what game engine are these assets in?

Used maxviewport to render and that's what I was told to always render in to get a true in game render. So many people say different things
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For you poly count you want to list the tri count.

Do you mean to put 800polys then put tri count aswell or just tri count
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Used maxviewport to render and that's what I was told to always render in to get a true in game render. So many people say different things

Wait, is it a real time screen shot in the view port, or was it rendered out in mental ray or vray?
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Wait, is it a real time screen shot in the view port, or was it rendered out in mental ray or vray?

Real time viewport
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe

There are some honest, professional game-artists here (me not included). Be appreciative that people take the time to give you no-nonsense critiques, as harsh as they might be, it's far more valuable than some half-hearted comments you might get at school or from buddies. Nobody here is going to puff you up unless you deserve it.
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz wrote: »
    There are some honest, professional game-artists here (me not included). Be appreciative that people take the time to give you no-nonsense critiques, as harsh as they might be, it's far more valuable than some half-hearted comments you might get at school or from buddies. Nobody here is going to puff you up unless you deserve it.

Yeah I posted here because I want the feedback good and bad. But there's always a nice way to say critique
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Welcome to Polycount, where your work gets shredded to pieces, people cry, and sometimes you feel worthless but don't worry! We're nice, help you along the way, and make you a better artist. (Don't take this serously, I'm being humorous)

Anyways, you got some nice assets but I would agree to get rid of the logos and post the tri counts. If you use tutorials, don't post the tutorial object for your portfolio. Instead take the techniques in which you gained from the tut and apply them to your own model. It also helps you burn those techniques into your brain when you have to do some critical thinking around your own model. Keep posting your stuff!

Zack Dembinski
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemlet17 wrote: »
    Welcome to Polycount, where your work gets shredded to pieces, people cry, and sometimes you feel worthless but don't worry! We're nice, help you along the way, and make you a better artist. (Don't take this serously, I'm being humorous)

Anyways, you got some nice assets but I would agree to get rid of the logos and post the tri counts. If you use tutorials, don't post the tutorial object for your portfolio. Instead take the techniques in which you gained from the tut and apply them to your own model. It also helps you burn those techniques into your brain when you have to do some critical thinking for your model. Keep posting your stuff!

Zack Dembinski

Thanks. I am being totally honest when I say I had never seen that tutorial before until that guy posted the link. His is well better than mine anyway!! But I was saying it's good to know I'm using the right technique
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and I would probably remove all the "In-game" text from your images, technically you captured them from viewport so they are not in game. Next gen will do and we'd assume they could be in-game usable.
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemlet17 wrote: »
    Oh, and I would probably remove all the "In-game" text from your images, technically you captured them from viewport so they are not in game. Next gen will do and we'd assume they could be in-game usable.

Cool, these are great pointers. Thanks guys
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apart from the presentation can anyone see anyway I can improve my models or textures?
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you'd be best posting up one project as you work through the various stages of it. Also because of the lack of wireframes and texture breakdowns there's not much information for people to go through.

I think if you wanted to improve on your character art I'd consider doing a new one instead of improving the iron man. My first impression of him is he seems more like iron-boy.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    The trick is to not stop learning. You're on the right track... It's just posting those images with 360 and ps3 on your images is kinda hilarious, to be honest. What i suggest is just go back to Game Art basics, browse the Polycount http://wiki.polycount.com/ and understand what you need to do to improve your work. The more you learn the more your mistakes will pop out. It looks to me that a good study of diffuse, specs, and how to bake normals will set you in the right direction. Then, do some research on highpoly modeling. But, Start simple.
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this more like what you guys mean.
    Does this look better, anything wrong?
    if7w40.jpg
  • Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is much better presentation wise. A wireframe would be nice as well but from this I would say you could work on your UV layouts to better maximize on the space. maybe have a look at mirroring some of the space.
  • pookanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is much better presentation wise. A wireframe would be nice as well but from this I would say you could work on your UV layouts to better maximize on the space. maybe have a look at mirroring some of the space.

The untextured model is the wireframe

I don't like mirroring stuff if I don't have to, but I know what you mean. If I had to for a job I would.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to add, also include the size of your textures.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Much better clean and straight to the point
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    That green and purple really pop out to me. If that dumpster is really grudged up the way it is you'd think those colors would have faded like the rest of the grafitti. Same goes for the warning signs, they would be faded and torn more.
    Besides that, it's looking pretty good! :)
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    Look at examples on how to present your work!
    You don't need to invent spread sheet content on your own...if that makes any sense. Just do what all artists do, steal ideas and make them your own!
    Look at other websites, professional websites particularly. They know what to put up to showcase their models.

These are some great websites that will show you examples: (again, don't completely steal their idea, just take parts that you like and make it your own while still keeping the necessary info)

http://www.ilyanedyal.com/
    http://scotthomer.co.uk/
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I'll throw in my 2 cents worth, and yeah, that's about all it's worth, lol.

1: for the wireframe, still looks like you have a normal map on it. Which:
    A- makes it harder to see the wires because it is 'dirty'
    B- adds detail that really isn't there.

Just add a plain grey material so ALL we see is wires. Also make that material fullbright (100% self illum), the shadows aren't needed and also make it harder to read.

2: for the Low Poly there is definitely some waste. On the lid where the ridges are, you have polys that continue around the edge of the lid. You could wled down some verts there and get rid of quite a few tris. Not sure if the ridges are inside the lid too, but at least on the edges you can kill quite a few.

3:Material.
    That dumpster texture is an obvious (cgtextures?) metal rust. And it's OK to source materials like that. But have you ever seen a dumpster like that?
    First it doesn't really look like it was ever painted, second it is very pocked.

Most dumpster i see are painted a dark color (to hide the obvious filth on them), usually dark green or Blue. The surface (painted metal would be pretty smooth) would have scratches and chips, especially on corners. And rust would occour there, but not just randomly all over.
    Graphitti on the other hand is much harder to predict.