Home Unreal Engine

Maya to UDK questions

I have a few questions about how to go about exporting textures from Maya to UDK.

When I first started texturing my pieces, I thought I would be making textures for individual objects in UDK. But when I finished the objects, I decided that the individual objects that I made would take more time to place precisely to create a support system for my scaffolding in UDK than it would in Maya. Now I have multiple objects with combined into one object with several different textures. scaffold_01a.jpg

When I go to export to UDK will they export as a multi / sub - object material assignment as they would in 3d Studio Max? Or did I miss the bus entirely? If so does anybody have any suggestions about how to fix this is in a timely manner.

I really want to start working in UDK but I want to make sure I am on the right path before going any further.

Replies

• Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    yes, it will export a mesh with a number of material assigned as in Maya. So there isn't any problem about that. Just try to import your mesh into Udk to see for yourself. :)
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    If you are using multiple materials in maya and export as FBX you can import the materials directly and create the materials within UDK with a single click, it's actually really easy to do. Only thing that I had to "trial and error" was collision with FBX (being different to how Actor X was done).

I think there becomes a point when you are making props that you have to group them up into bigger chunks anyway, but your example there could still be split up so some of the bits could be used separately I think.
  • tkkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I exported in FBX and my single mesh objects come out perfect. But when I export multi mesh objects they import into UDK all scrambled up. Even if i check combine mesh and triangulate the mesh before importing it into UDK.

How should I go about Importing this mesh? Should I break it down into single pieces / smaller mesh groups or use ASE?
    messed_up_mesh_01.jpg
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Make sure you have a current version of the FBX plugin.
  • tkkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for m4dcow for the tip but unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue. More the texture shows up but it still comes in all jagged.
  • Camikaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've experienced that problem when I try to import multi-mesh object and the poly count is too high. What's the polycount on that item? Might be worth trying to import just half of the sub-meshes and see if the problem persists.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Did you try .ase already?
  • tkkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I just tried the .ase file and it was an epic fail. I am going to take the time tomorrow and see about breaking these up into smaller sections like Camikaze and Gilgamesh suggested.

The only reason I didn't do it earlier was because I wanted to preciseness of the models that were done in Maya. As far as being in "place." But I'll bite the bullet and make them better suitable for use in UDK. Lesson learned. Thanks for the help.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Did you delete history?