Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

character modeler looking for help : )

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Don't do light tracer renders, they are terrible. Instead show wireframes and viewport grab. You are a trying to improve modeling, not rendering ;)
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sry my bad for sun and sky renders XD
    didnt really think about that
    i think i forgot to say the mafia man is a high poly non game asset
    , whereas the dragon and hunter are meant to be game model.
    the highpoly parts on the hunter will be baked on once ive uv'ed the model
    and the dragon is wip so the topology is mostly a patchy mess
  • EcstaticLemming
    Very nice start.
    A crit I have with it is the man's right arm. Some odd stuff going on with his wrists.
    Generally, I think that the style of the Charlie model could be a little more stylized.
    I love the Charlie mobster design. Would be nice to see that modelled fully.
    Not too sure about dragon anatomy, but them front feet look like hands. Unless it's intensional?
    An excellent start. Can't wait to see more!
  • wolver
  • wolver
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I like the chocobo you've done, the silhouette looks great. You need some more color variation in the diffuse though as well as a light source. Since it will probably be in the shown pose the most it would probably be wise to paint him in that pose too. Also the details look a bit washed out.
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @goraaz cheers man, i see what you mean, ill add a painted bottom and top light source and more shadow, the light ive got it setup with is washing it out a bit but i'll tone down the whites anyway : )
    i saw your work, its very very nice, ty you for posting on my thread .
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I like that mockup, Paintforge. Reminds me of Okami.

Edit: Whoops, this isn't WAYWO!
  • wolver
  • wolver
  • wolver
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bN872.png
    ^ Concept for a new showreel piece i am working on, its a redesign of a model i think was under developed.

nearly finished the low poly for the lance, it comes to 8 k tris

IOU66.png
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I do like the colors you've picked for the dragon texture. But you seem to have a lot of black shadows/details in your textures, which kills the texture for me. It feels very much like a statue now, "everything" and especially organic objects let through light, and these black shadows/details (especially on the wings) convey the exact opposite.
    The armpits (wingpits?) in the topview show this problem really clearly.
    So keep using the AO, but try to give some color to the AO layer, rather than just using the black and white render it gives you.

As for the textures themselves, they seem a bit sloppy and sprayed on. I think they lack definition, again clearly visible on the wings in the topview, the yellow of the wing is also covering part of elbow. I know the yellow>blue needs a transition, but now it just feels like you used a soft round brush and painted it in roughly.

But I really do love the model and the color palette you picked, just give the texture painting a bit more time and love ;)
    Keep up the good work!

edit:
    Derp for got to check your latest post.

I like the new design of the dragon rider, however I think the colors you picked for him might clash with the dragon itself? For now the blue on the rider seems to "baby blue" to fit the darker blue of the dragon itself.
    As for the lance, I like the design but I think the handle could use a bit more detail/work, and maybe beef it up a bit? Seems really thin and fragile right now.
  • jaffajuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll comment on the Mobster character.

Concept. I think the reason you may be struggling to get the face to look like the concept is because the concept is fairly basic. In these cases I would create a mood board of existing mobster style characters, facial expressions, colours and styles that you can draw from. Reference is the key, especially when concept is struggling.

Style. If you are just starting out then I would aim for realistic as its the hardest to achieve but the reference is readily available and the target clearly defined. It will push you abilities further and faster. Trust me it will be worth it in the end and everything you learn will make your stylized characters in future better .. so save that for your third year.

Workflow. I used to build a base mesh in max and flush out the major forms first. Its a good workflow..however.... Goz and Retopology software have radically changed this. What I now do is create a very basic box with shoulders in max and GoZ this to Zbrush to establish a scale and flow. Sculpt and sculpt and sculpt but never go above SubD 4. When you have the forms you like bring this into Max/Maya/Topogun and 'paint' on the topology onto the high poly surface. Its a much faster workflow and separates the process of art and science into easy to digest chunks instead of doing both at the same time.

If this is a learning process, I would only do one character not both, and I'd drop the dragon. Lessons are learned at the end of a project, so the length of the project can define the rate at which you learn. Hope this helps.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if you're doing game art, you should try finding a good viewport/realtime shader and just take screenshots, that's usually far closer to the finished product than a scanline render.

i'm not sure of which are good for Maya though. i use 3pointshader for max, and xoliul is also good. even if you can't use those for Maya they will at least give you an idea of what i'm talking about.
  • jaffajuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a good point and I think you can use the XoliulShader for Maya ... I'd I'd recommend it.

http://xoliulshader.com/

Download the core version and try that.
  • wolver