Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rockbed Study - Mudbox

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Moist polycounter lvl 7
This is a WIP of my rockbed study in mudbox.. thoughts.. suggestions? :) Thanks!

wip_rockbed_study.jpg

Replies

• TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    That looks awesome, can't think of much to critique, giving it some color would be a good next step.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the larger rock on the left is suffering from some sort of max height issue or just a really uniform heightmap feature on that part. I'd vary the height and use the scrape brush ( I think that is what it is called ) to cut into the fine edge you have on that rock to match the other rocks. Could probably use the wax brush too.

What kind of terrain would this patch be for? A rocky forest, humid jungle with rocky river beds, or a desert? Think about those things when texturing it and it will come out looking more authentic in the end as well.

I like how you sculpted the intersection between the rock meshes and the ground mesh, helps define the rocks more.
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah as RexM said the Uniform thin line running across the left doesn't really fit with the other rocks and looks a little too perfect and man made. Other than that It's pretty good.
  • Moist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moist polycounter lvl 7
    Good point, I think there was too much pinch on that area when sculpting. The idea is that this is a dried up waterbed that still has some dampness to it.. so the areas where it would look there is water will have damp yet also dried cracked earth. I'm also going to add some greenery along the rocks.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
  • jetskee96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am glad to see someone else using mudbox. I felt like I was the only one. Besides that big funky rock, the rest of the stuff looks like I can just pick up a pebble and throw it.