Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Macuahui-wha? Weapon

Hey guys,
I figured it was about time I posted one of my projects up here instead of just lurking the forums preying on the weak and ill. :)

So I was recently inspired to do a quick-ish weapon project and after getting some inspiration (no it wasn’t Orb and his crazy awesome work on Crasher, why do you ask? *ahem*), I’ve decided to work on a Macuahuitl. A macuahuitl is an Aztec weapon sorta resembling a sword made with sharpened pieces of obsidian. They’re uber cool and allegedly capable of chopping people to fine bits.

Just so you get the idea:

macuahuitl_reference.jpg

I was thinking of making the blades on mine out of jade instead of obsidian to give it a bit more of a regal feel. Maybe it was used by a war chief or somebody on the battlefield who was of some importance and or rank. I also had the idea of it being adorned with decorative tiles with traditional looking Aztec carvings running the length of the weapon. They had larger double handed macuahuitl that were, “as tall as a man and could decapitate a horse with a single stroke.” So I was planning on going that route and making it a heavier weapon sort of half way between a sword and an axe.

Here are some silhouettes of some different concepts. I was thinking something along the lines of 2 or 3 with the pommel of 5. Feel free to let me know what your favorite aspects are, or if you think they’re all terrible. :)

WIP_silhouettes.jpg

Here is a quick block-in as well as the route I was thinking of going with the UV shells. All of the same colored pieces would be identical in geometry and share the same UV space.

WIP_blockIn.jpg

I'm a bit torn with how I want to mirror the geometry. I was considering mirroring the half of the weapon from front to back to overlap the UVs but I'm not sure if it would be the best route in this case. The thought was that one half of the weapon would have a decent amount of battle damage (hence the missing piece of obsidian/jade) and the other less. So maybe I could get away with mirroring the side with less noticeable damage to save time texturing and get more UV space. I guess I could mirror both sides but I think it would be a bit too obvious when it's not viewed in profile. Opinions?

WIP_UVWmirror.jpg

Replies

• NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick necro-update.

I got pulled away from this weapon project until....well....yesterday. :/

So here's a quick WIP of the sculpt. The new clay polish feature in ZBrush 4 RC2 made pretty quick work of getting a pretty convincing jade/obsidian effect.

macuahuitl_WIP_01.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    really nice sculpting so far.
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    This is looking very cool.

One thing: if this is as tall as a man, then wouldn't the person using it need more room to space their hands apart, or would they hold onto the edges of the hande? If so, shouldn't the stones/sculpted faces be on the inside and the handle be on the outer edges? Maybe I'm wrong, but the only references I saw in a quick google search had simple handles for easy gripping.

It might look better with jagged pieces all the way down the blade.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The reason why you'd use obsidian on a macuahuitl over other minerals is because it keeps an incredibly sharp edge. They apparently still use it for surgical blades because of this.

If you wanted to go for obsidian with the blade there, I think the surface would be cleaner with sharper lines where the pieces have been chipped away. It's a form of glass which might give you some cues as to how it'd fracture.
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments and feedback guys! :)

jmt - Yeah, your absolutely right. I moved the jewels up onto the raised part of the grip and extended the grippy texture all the way down. The handle got a bit truncated while I was working on it but I'll pull the end back into the body.

Jackablade - I tweaked my polish on the axe style blade to try and get it looking more like obsidian (or jade, whatevs). Looking at the render again I think I'm still going to push the pinching a bit more around where the blade has been chipped. I'm also going to clone the lower blade so that they go all the way up the body. :thumbup:

I've also sculpted one of the tiles along with a more damaged version. I'm thinking I'll be able to get away with two unique tiles plus the extra damaged one.

macuahuitl_WIP_05.jpg
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Looks badass dude :)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah these would be nasty against unarmored targets. The overall forms of the current blades aren't bad but you may wish to search for "pressure flaked obsidian" to get good accurate reference. The edges of a pressure flaked blade can be just a few molecules thick, finer than surgical scalpels, so yeah they can cut peeps to bits. I'm not sure if jade even can be pressure flaked, but whatever, it's your aesthetic choice. :)

Looks like a cool project.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    cool idea! I'm not a huge fan of the small, needle like blades; I feel like they'd snap off the first time you use it.
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update. I've finished sculpting the other tiles and added the wood grain and damage details to the body. I also painted some color variation into the jade and did a quick first pass on the wood.

macuahuitl_WIP_06.jpg

I'm not quite sure what I want to do with the pommel...traditionally they are simpler and made of wood like the body, but I can't help but think there can be something more interesting I can do with it. :poly122:

Alex3d - Thanks man, I appreciate the comment. :)

Vailias - Thanks for the heads up on the pressure flaking process. I might go back and try a pass with this kinda vibe and see how it looks. :thumbup:

Justin_Meisse - Yeah, I see what you mean. The main reason I have them on there is to add a little more variation to the silhouette, a little something in between the axe style head and the blades running down the sides.

Thanks guys. :) As always, any more C&C is most welcome.
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Nother update. I painted the handle and did some work on the low res version. Without the blades it sits at 320 tris. I still need to tweak some parts of the handle to avoid getting detail lost on the normal map bake.

I'm still not digging the pommel. I'm going to get together some more reference and brainstorm to see if I can come up with anything more interesting.

Updated ZBrush render:

macuahuitl_WIP_07.jpg

And a quick and dirty marmoset render of the low res:

macuahuitl_WIP_08.jpg
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more work on the textures and low res model. I tried a bunch of different stuff for the pommel but none of it was working out so I just nixed it altogether. Right now I'm sitting at 1523 tris, I also have a bit of UV space left if I want to add any other minor details to the model. The specular was a quick and dirty chop job for the render. Next step, I'm going to get this guy into UDK and see what kind of shader magic I can come up with.

macuahuitl_WIP_09.jpg

macuahuitl_WIP_10.jpg
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Watch out for the normals on the wooden blade part, looks like you need to add some edge loops around the edges to support the averaged normals. Really like the sculpting on the stones and the colours look great :)
    The lighting in your presentation however is very bland - hopefully UDK will help you out there.
    Also is there any reason for seperating the stone from the wood? With the way you have it right now, you could easily tile the wooden part.
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles - Thanks for the comments man. :) I tried running another bake out with some extra edgeloops and it caused some more pinching around the edges of the model. :s I think the strangeness in the normal map is due to the way I masked out the faces of the model while I was sculpting in ZBrush. If I have time I'll go back and smooth out the difference in the sculpt around the edges.

I ended up creating a shader in UDK that applied the specularity to the jade using a mask stored in the alpha channel of the color map but I ran into a couple of lighting roadblocks and ended up running low on time. So in the meantime I created another pass in the marmoset toolbag to try and get some interesting lighting.

The reason I have the stones as separate meshes was to get a bit more interest in the silhouette from the side. Also, when I was playing around with my normal map bakes I found that they became a bit too unconvincing from certain angles. In the end I just figured it'd just be better to give them some geometry and not try too hard to fake it.

Here's my updated render with the new lighting. I've also got my 512x1024 map on it which is why there's a bit of a drop in the texture fidelity compared to my previous post.

macuahuitlRender_final.jpg
  • low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low_seb polycounter lvl 12
    very nice job and nice material on the obsidian stone , maybe add some occlusion on the wood aoround the deco stones