Home General Discussion

Help for a noob needed

a-k-m
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
Hello,

When I was 16-18 I used to use blender for modelling and making games... Now I am 25 and rediscovered the passion to 3d. Unfortunately, at that time I didn't think too much about work.
Now I want to have this hobby as my profession. I really want to break into the industry. My goal is to work as a freelance 3d artist.

In June this year I started again with blender but after searching around the forums I realised for the professional purpose it has no use. So now I am starting from scratch with 3ds max.

I have some questions regarding the business and also some vocabulary :)

1. What is a game art pipeline?
2. What should be learned for Game Art? modelling High-Poly, Low-poly, UV-mapping, texture baking(normal-maps... what else?), lighting. Did I miss something important?
3. What is your work process? How do you proceed eg for an environment?
I imagine: Modelling HP than baking the normal-maps and apply them to low-poly models, texturing, lighting and at the end export all of it to a game-engine? (read that somewhere around)
4. I am still thinking about to visit a school or not. I read a lot about this topic in the forums but they are all talking about 50k schools... I found a school for 3500 Euro. It's a huge difference. Here's a link http://www.cev.com/animacion-y-sintesis/curso-de-3d-artist-para-videojuegos-con-3d-studio-max-y-zbrush-cADA.html
5. Can you recommend some good game-related tutorials for 3ds Max?
6. Is there a network for Game Artists? I would like to meet one for exchange and need to know if there are some around in my area.

Thanks in advance for all answers, hints and advices!

Greetings Andr

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    the polycount wiki is a great place to start:

http://wiki.polycount.com/

also polycount itself is a huge leviathan of information, with most of it's hulking mass just beneath the surface...just do a little bit of digging and you'll find most of your questions have been asked and answered.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    low odor wrote: »
    the polycount wiki is a great place to start:

http://wiki.polycount.com/

also polycount itself is a huge leviathan of information, with most of it's hulking mass just beneath the surface...just do a little bit of digging and you'll find most of your questions have been asked and answered.

Yup just use This and you'll have most of your questions answered.

Polycount is a network of game artist, in the same position as you, freelancers, professionals & hobbyists.

College is a choice you have to make my experiance as many others on here was a bad one and a waste of time & I even missed out on some great job opportunities (cough rockstar NYC, yes I still remember).:(

Hope this somewhat helps, just stick around here and mostly on the pimping and tech parts of these forums to see what's being done, maybe participating in some of the contests/challenges will help you get more personal help with your work.