Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vending machine from Fallout 3

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
Here´s my latest prop from a concept from Fallout 3, a vending machine. It´s 1112 tris and 1 2048*2 texture map.

C&C welcome! smile.gif

vendingfinal_2.jpg

vendingfinal_1.jpg
vendingfinal_3.jpg

vendingfinal_4.jpg

vendingfinal_5.jpg

Replies

• Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    It does look good. BUT, the concept gets pretty dull in the main shape/texturing. What I mean is the only thing that catches the attention is that screen on top, everything else looks boring (for the eyes are not as much stimulated) in comparison.

The map is too big*. How does it look on a 1024²?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good, you really need to push specularity on this. It is a metal machine.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The textures don't match the shape. Paint is off everywhere, scratches, rust - but there are no dents or other damage anywhere. The damage and dirt on the textures are also spread for to uniformly. You're also lacking dirt and desolation in general. It's not an old looking thing, it just looks beat up. Where's the faded paint? Where's the dust? Where's a buildup of some gross substance?

Which parts get the most scratches and faded paint? Where people put the money in, and where they take out their goods.

Which parts have the most dirt? Close to the floor where dirt can easily get on the machine, and in crevices and overhangs where wind water etc are less likely to 'clean' the dirt away.

Where's the faded paint? Some parts get more light than others.

Which parts should have something like moss?

Are there places where water could form puddles?

Take a look at real 'postapocalyptic' machinery, like this:
    MachineryHeavy0074_1_thumblarge.jpgMachineryHeavy0002_1_thumblarge.jpgMachineryHeavy0020_thumblarge.jpgMachineryHeavy0010_thumblarge.jpgMachineryHeavy0014_thumblarge.jpgMetalContainers0150_thumblarge.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Isn't the soda part of the "Nuka" brand? Not "Nuke"?
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Yo Cheese_Shinobi, good take on the Nuka Cola Machine for sure!

If the mesh wasn't for fallout, I'd say tone the damage down a ton, but of course, Fallout is very much damage everywhere, haha. A bit excessive, yes, but I think it matches the game well.

Your tri count and modeling is pretty spot on I'd say. Same numbers you'd see in FO3 or FO:NV.

I'd say my only gripe is the logo you have that says Nuke. Maybe keep it Nuka Cola, like ErichWK suggested, and give the wording some glow much like the original mesh and to make the logo more of a focal point than the monitor on top. Fill out the space with the logo to make it very apparent it's a soda machine. And as stated above, push that spec some more.

Lastly, yeah, show this thing off with a 1024. It'd NEVER get a 2048.
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for all the comments guys!

I´ve been looking at the things you pointed out, and tried to mostly fix the dirtmap. It´s meant to look old and weather-torn, as it is from a post-apocalyptic setting.
    I´m thinking of adding some dents into the normal map aswell.

About the "Nuke/Nuka" sign, I dont really know why I just didn´t right Nuka from the start :P
    Here is my update!

vendingre1.jpg
    vendingre2.jpg