Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vanguard - First next gen character

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Caldria polycounter lvl 8
Hey all, I've lurked a long time. Some truly amazing stuff here - So I'm hoping to make this a success, my first ever Next Gen character model.

Here is my concept I've been working on.

TBUiI.jpg

She is a vanguard (meant to spearhead assaults on enemy positions)

The idea behind the armour, is that a backpack thing (will design it properly while modelling) generates power. Which it then sends through to those injection tube things. Then on demand, the vanguard can inject that power into the arm armour.

This will allow the vanguard to summon explosive energy, to help clear paths of enemies/rubble/vehicles etc. for his/her allies.

Any crits on the concept are very welcome. I plan to start modelling soon - hopefully I can come up with a logical workflow as this is my first next gen char.

Replies

• LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Concept is a great start! Boots seem a little strange? They look almost like combat heels.

I like your color palette
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks LRoy

mmm.. ye I went for the slightly higher heeled boots/shoes with a flat bottom (kinda like platforms)

Do you think it's possibly the nose/tip thats making it look a little odd. I originally had the tips more rounded/flat rather than pointed, I could go back to that. Or do you reckon it's the higher heel thats throwing it off.

and thanks for the comment ^^
  • vvheris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vvheris polycounter lvl 6
    [im just a kid from eastern europe, so who cares]

She looks a little too bulky for me. [ i did a paintover]

paintover.png
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I actually like a lot of the bulkiness on her, but I do partly agree with vvheris: do slim down some parts of her, like her waist, at the knee-joint, and her elbows, and it will give her a better silhouette (contrast the bulky with the slim). Nice concept! :D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I like the original concept as is, keep the bulk, keep the boots! :) Looking forward to seeing a mesh.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ vvheris, Jessica Dinh, Andreas - Thanks guys :)

I did originally want her to be quite a bit more bulky than the average type of woman, so to speak. (almost top heavy, as i wanted the focus on her upper body - mostly arms)

But i think i might have her actual body less bulky like in your paintover and possibly rely on her armour to build her up. (Will see soon enough :D)

And im quite liking the slight more curvature of her legs in ur paintover.

Thanks ^^
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, here is an update.

It's been a while since ive modelled any hard surface stuff, so just blocking in the armour shapes - will struggle later to connect certain pieces no doubt : p

I'll also still probably make her cheeks fuller like in the concept. Just wanted to see what it was like with slight more gaunt cheeks.

aWKgt.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Great job so far, the breast plate bottom should be up a little higher though.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @frell - hey man thanks, I made the edging under the breastplate slightly higher. I wonder if it was enough.

The forearm guards will still get bigger once i figure out the best way to model the plates on it.

4SfDz.jpg
  • Feb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feb polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, looking good so far! I'm also working on my first next-gen games character so I'm still learning, but I really like your concept and her proportions in the model look pretty spot-on.

Nice job :) looking forward to seeing your progression with this
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Feb ^^
    I'll be sure to check yours out too.

A quick question for anyone who might be able to assist:

Is it better to keep as much of your geometry as a single mesh as possible? (i.e armour plates/pieces etc)

Or is it ok to have a lot of it as separate pieces?

The reason I ask, I'm finding it a little tricky to try to get the whole chest/shoulder/neck/back area into one mesh.
    If im doing that wrongly, I'd actually be glad, as it'd be a whole lot easier to have everything as separate pieces (I'm just worried about holes in the character?)

Thanks in advance ^^
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    I don't believe there is any specific rules for doing that, and it really comes down to personal preference. I tend to make as much as I can into separate geometry to polygroup and or subtool it for easy access when sculpting it or detailing it. Also until recently my PC was rather rough with very dense meshes.

If I where modeling your concept (which is very nice by the way) I would start looking at ways to block things out at natural seams and interpenetrate the geometry at natural points to create creasing where necessary but also to make modeling and sculpting easier on you as a whole.

When you do your final bake it doesn't really matter if you decimate 20 meshes to create the chest or if it's all from one, tho the more subtools the easier it will be to hide parts and sometimes(usually) get cleaner results from your projection.

That was a lot of text. Short answer: personal preference, but no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using multiple parts.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, great. Thanks Vorge - that really helps :) I feel a lot better now haha.

Thanks for the comments and info.

and btw your juggernaut in the comicon challenge looks amazing. I instantly fell in love with the concept. The bulkiness is badass :D
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    Glad I could help. And thank you, it's coming along :) You have a good start here!
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Hey nice design you got there, really like it. I prefer some bits on the concept to the base mesh though such as the top of the bra section having more of a 'v' shape to it, the front collar armour piece not being as prominant and the underwear section doesn't curve in towards the top. But I realise you're still blocking in major shapes.

Good job keep it up.
  • mifflefish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First thing that jumps out at me is that your model is missing the awesome top-heavy bulkiness of the concept.
    your concept looks so cool it would be a shame to see it not translated properly.

Don't worry about proper topology at the moment, you can fix it later, start by blocking in the major forms and making that as right as possible.

You should focus on the silhouette as its the most important thing effecting the readability and feel of your character, throw a flat material on there and just start playing with forms!
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smallish update, havent had much time today - grandfather's birthday.

cX8KI.jpg

@TortillaChips - Thanks :) I've tried to get that V back in there, not as visible from the dead front as it is from a slightly higher angle, but I reckon it is quite noticeable now, closer to the concept. I also adjusted the underwear belt section. Hope it looks better now.

@ mifflefish - Thanks for the crit, I definitely would like to keep the upper bulkiness - I slimmed down her legs and arms from the concept based on earlier suggestions - I like how the legs look while being slimmer, but I agree that I was losing some of the upper bulkiness. So I thickened the arms mostly, and then the armour pieces a tad bit - hope it looks better now (I might make the arms thicker, however, from the front)
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished, will have an update soon - and I hope the base mesh is good enough to start with sculpting. First time I've done/planned to do all this.
  • Feb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feb polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Caldria, looks like you've got a pretty solid base mesh to create your hi-res model :)

One problem I found when sculpting was that I had started with a base that had an uneven poly flow, meaning that in some areas I wasn't able to add as much detail as needed and had to subdivide over and above what was required... To be honest I dont think it will be much of an issue for you but it might be worth going over your model to check extra polys are all in the right places!

Only place I could see this potentially happening is if your torso and legs are one mesh - the front of the legs seem to loose a few edge loops that the stomach has, and so they might not subdivide evenly...

Hope that makes sense, good luck sculpting! :)
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks Feb - That makes sense ye, I'll give my model an overlook and see where i can get the loops more even.

I think im finished with the base model otherwise, I just dont know how to tell if its good enough for sculpting : P

I'll upload it today - just having lunch with the family, so am unable to do much till later today.

A question - How should I build the mouth insides for a next gen character?
    For characters I made at college we just had the lips curve inside the mouth to meet each other and eventually form a "mouth bag" with the teeth floating inside.

If i want to be able to rig the face at the end for expressions, would I build it the same way?
  • Feb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feb polycounter lvl 10
    The way you've described is how I've set up a character's mouth before, though I'm not entirely sure if this is the industry practice or not...

It shouldn't be a problem to do it this way if you plan to rig your character's face - usually I create the 'mouth bag' and each vert inside the head can then be weighted 100% to the head bone without any issues. Then, with the teeth, you can link the upper set to the head bone and the lower set (and tongue) to the jaw bone, without having to skin them.

This has worked well for me before - so should do the job! :)
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update - I think I'm finished with the base model, not sure how to tell if it is sculpt-ready, exactly. I anyone has any crits/suggestions on the transition from this base model to zbrush I'd greatly appreciate it.

u8bky.jpg

Also her handguards arent exactly touching her hands. they are kinda floating above them - Will that be an issue eventually?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Man, where is the mesh flow for the body?!

The model itself, is loosing a lot of the bulkiness from the concept. which i was really liking. I think especially in the arms.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Alberto, thanks for the crit. I'll get the arms sorted out. I'll make the arm armour thicker/bigger, or do you reckon its her actual arms that arent thick enough.

In terms of the lower body, I did slim her legs down a bit - to give more of a top heavy feel.

As to the mesh flow for the body, do you mean you wish to see the base body without armour on?
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    looks like you have a tri on her butt thar.
    Are you planning on sculping on this in Zbrush?
    If so, make sure you have no triangles anywhere
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    I think Alberto meant the topology flow of your character (crotch area specifically). It shouldn't be perfect squares all over - edge loops should follow the flow of muscles for proper deformations.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Alberto meant the topology flow of your character (crotch area specifically). It shouldn't be perfect squares all over - edge loops should follow the flow of muscles for proper deformations.

I was kinda wondering what Alberto meant, if he means this then the model is alright because it's going to be sculpted, and perfect squares all over is a good thing... right?
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was kinda wondering what Alberto meant, if he means this then the model is alright because it's going to be sculpted, and perfect squares all over is a good thing... right?
    No, no, it's the edge flow. Yes, quads are always fantastic - putting triangles onto the mesh wasn't what I meant. But quads should flow with the anatomy for proper deformations if the character will be animated later on.

squared-paper.png
    This image shows perfect squares along x and y axis. Limbs are not able to deform properly with such topology because the anatomy is complex.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks all for the replies.

Here is the edge flow of my base body

UWmU5.jpg

I'm guessing those 4 tries on her but are gonna screw me over in sculpting? I'll try get rid of them then, thanks for the crits.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, no, it's the edge flow. Yes, quads are always fantastic - putting triangles onto the mesh wasn't what I meant. But quads should flow with the anatomy for proper deformations if the character will be animated later on.

squared-paper.png
    This image shows perfect squares along x and y axis. Limbs are not able to deform properly with such topology because the anatomy is complex.

I think we are getting mixed up, I mean perfect squares are good for when you plan to put it into zbrush and subdivide it. I'm guessing the model will be retopped after the sculpting to form proper topology.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yes, I plan to retopologize it after the sculpting (seeing as this is all new to me, I want to try to do as many of the various steps in the workflow as logically possible - to learn them)
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think we are getting mixed up, I mean perfect squares are good for when you plan to put it into zbrush and subdivide it. I'm guessing the model will be retopped after the sculpting to form proper topology.
    If he wishes to keep working without retopologizing first, he can do it, but the mesh distribution becomes uncomfortable to work with, and soon he will find he wants his sculpting to flow in one direction while the mesh flows in another.

Evenly spaced quads with a proper edge flow is where its at, it's going to make a sculpting process that much easier.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evenly spaced quads with a proper edge flow is where its at, it's going to make a sculpting process that much easier.

This was what i was wondering, this is going to be a pain i think, with a better edge flow to your model it will not only help the whole creation process, but it will also help you get better as an artist.

Look over this so can understand what i'm saying.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/BodyTopology?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryTopology%5Cb%29
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks Alberto - I've actually already had a look at those, great stuff.

So if im correct, it's not really my topology in the pelvic area that's an issue. It's the actual flow of the loops?

Sorry if im sounding a bit thick, I really appreciate the advice I've been getting.
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, Caldria!

I really like this concept, I think that the power you give this character looks really cool!

I agree with everyone else that the bulkiness gives her a sense of...well...power! haha.

I really like the green tone of the armor as well, contrasting with her hair it really makes everything pop.

I'm really excited to see this finished!

Cheers!
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks GragGunslinger, I appreciate the comments.
    Lets hope I can make a success of this, im very new at zbrush, and im finding it quite difficult to get used to.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria wrote: »
    Hey, thanks Alberto - I've actually already had a look at those, great stuff.

So if im correct, it's not really my topology in the pelvic area that's an issue. It's the actual flow of the loops?

Sorry if im sounding a bit thick, I really appreciate the advice I've been getting.

For the most part yeah. But i think that overall, you're lines are super straight.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, thanks a load Alberto. I'll get that sorted.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, another small update - Made an actual start in zbrush with her head.
    First time I've ever used zbrush, and took me like 2 days of struggling and too many tutorials to figure out how to use it, and then come up with something that didn't suck. But im starting to get the hang of it, and it is really an amazing program.

At the same time I've been going over the base mesh and sorting out any edgeflow issues, my head was fine, so I thought I'd give it a go at sculpting.

The head is far from finished I'd imagine, but I would love any suggestions/crit - specifically when to decide that you have enough detail for a female face. And ofc any problem that looks glaringly obvious (I also havent touched the ears yet).

Thanks in advance!

CCfKp.jpg
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    That's a good looking start. With females less is certainly more when it comes to details. A lot of my crit will probably be personal female preference but she has a very strong chin and jaw, as well as pronounced T zone making her look less female. The eye shape is getting lost without eyelids to hold the eye in place and her supraorbital process is losing some if it's shape as it curves around the outside of the eyesocket. Haven't had enough coffee this morning but I noodled: Certainly hope you don;t mind, perhaps this will help.

52mah3.jpg
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great, thanks Vorge - don't mind at all.

I did kind of want a slightly "harder" face for her, not ugly but not say - a super model.
    But i really appreciate the tips for the eyes, havent really done much on them at all, so it's nice to have a bit of a direction.

Also I think I'll move the back of her jaw up a bit like you suggested, makes it more feminine while keeping a strong jaw.

Many thanks.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update of the final head (I hope)

So I'm hoping she looks feminine enough while still looking like she can put up a fight.
    Also, with the cut/scar thing, I played around with making it uglier/dirtier - but thought it looked a little better with a cleaner cut (not sure if it is too deep tho, a friend of mine suggests that it is - I also dont want it to be too shallow)

Any crit on that would be greatly appreciated, as well as on anything else.

7cm9V.jpg

I've made a start on the body now too, which will be some type of biosuit thing - like in the concept, under all the armour.
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hi !

Good stuff, i like the concept and all, very powerful :) Reminds me somehow of hellgate:london.

Anyway I did a quick paintover for your face, there are some things that seems a little amiss I think

paintovar.png

most notable is the top of her skull, her eyes and her jaw is a little too manly. Wimenz tend to have a slightly rounder face overall
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Scythe, thanks!

I definitely agree with the scalp. Will fix that up.

Concerning her slightly squarer (is that a word o.0?) jaw, I do want her to look a bit harder than your average type woman - while I havent used Olivia Wilde as facial reference, her jaw is something along the lines of what I'm aiming for. Not precisely the same, but similar.

I'll see what I can do about her eyes too (I have done a quick paintover a few days ago, just to see what the hair shape and eyelashes etc could look like, and they definitely make her eyes more feminine so it could possibly just be that)

Anyway, I'll get those issues sorted, Thanks for the crit!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good. From the full body model, I think you need to beef up her lats (latissimus dorsi).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @8FtSpider - Hey thanks! I think I actually have given a bit more mass to her lats once i started with sculpting the body. I'll try to put a shot of it up soon (just busy watching tutorials, and learning new things for zbrush that could help me)

@TeriyakiStyle - Woah! nice paintover ^^ and thanks for the indepth crit. I have a base hair mesh, though i'll admit that I didn't use it much while sculpting the face (if at all). I'll definitely try that thanks.
    In terms of the eyes looking asian, would you reckon that is due to the angle of the outside corners? Or the dip of the upper lid towards the nose (I think this could also be attributing towards the anger a bit). Also I did finish almost all the sculpting before doing the scar, it was the last thing I did on it I think. (I would like to try to keep it as it was part of the original concept, but if it really doesnt work I dont mind getting rid of it)

I'll definitely give the "go for pretty first then toughen up" a try, see if I can get it working better.
    Altho I would like the keep some semblance of a square jaw, akin to something like Olivia Wilde has.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write the crit - really appreciate it - I'll try to use as much of it as possible.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again - It's been an incredibly long time since I've posted here, or even worked on anything.

I had an operation about 2 months ago, been in recovery since, and I was unable to sit at all. I've only recently begun sitting again, albeit at short intervals as the wound is not yet fully healed.

Anyway - a tiny update since ages ago. Being unable to work on this character for so long has rendered me somewhat bored with it, so I'm hoping to kick up my ampedness for it again.

7wccI.jpg

I've somewhat finished her body, and now plan on doing the armour pieces soon - I was wondering which way would be best for that - I was thinking of doing the high poly armour pieces in maya, as ive yet to do any successful hard surface piece in zbrush, and it rather frustrates me. (any suggestions would be welcome)

I plan to redo the base model of the hair, to have it more of a solid geometry. I'll also address her face issues during this time. (I'm also thinking of doing away with the cut on the nose completely.)

Anyway, thanks for all the previous replies, and my apologies if I am doing something wrong by posting in this thread after such a long time - if it is an issue it wont happen again.
  • Shade117 pro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, amazing progress! The arms are really starting to be more concept accurate. Looking great!