Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

high poly dragons head modelling

Hi every one. I've started doing some high poly modelling, and wanted to post up what I've done so far and see if anyone has any hints or tips as to improve or where to go from there.

dragon%2Bhead%2Bside.jpgdragon%2Bhead%2Bfront.jpgdragon%2Bhead%2Bside%2B2.jpgdragon%2Bhead%2Bfront%2B2.jpgdragon%2Bhead%2Bfront%2B3.jpgdragon%2Bhead%2Bside%2B3.jpg17-08-2011%2B10-05-54.jpg17-08-2011%2B10-05-37.jpg

here's the work progress so just leave some comments that you think may help

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Its a good start, but its lacking overall flow: there is lots of detail and ripply folds and bumps, but it doesn't seem to be cohesive. Try to draw out the skull of the dragon on a piece of paper, and then model the head with the fictional skull as a reference.
  • Craaaig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks alright so far, the glossy texture is horrible for showing it though.

It looks like you went mad with some sort of ripple tool too.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Good start, bud!

.do not use nonsense shiny material. ESPECIALLY when sculpting. You will lose control of your forms instantly. Stick with matcap grey or a similar simple material. Watch your forms as you work on basic macro shapes. Similar to what kaze said, start with the underlying structure. Make sure there IS one before you start going in and adding grit and bumps. I'd advise staying at a low enough resoluation you can't even do any of that until you really nail it. Macro and mid level detail until you feel good, and then move on to bumps and wrinkles. =)

Anyway, good start.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Had no idea what i was looking at until the last 2 pictures, ditch that material
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I don't know what to look at for the most part.

KazeoHin wrote: »
    Its a good start, but its lacking overall flow: there is lots of detail and ripply folds and bumps, but it doesn't seem to be cohesive. Try to draw out the skull of the dragon on a piece of paper, and then model the head with the fictional skull as a reference.

Also, This.
  • DNA87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers guys for the feed back. ill be putting it over to Z.B. from sculptress to develop it further but cheers so far.