Home Technical Talk

zbrush 2.5D canvas, selecting subtools

Hey, I've started playing around with creating tiled textures in zbrush using canvas (ref: http://vimeo.com/7208356 ).

Is there a way once I've dropped several tools on the canvas to selected them individually after they have dropped? I can rotate, move, scale the last tool i dropped but can't seem to re-select previous ones.

i've attached an image so help clarify my question

z_q1.jpg

thanks!

Replies

• Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Sadly no. When you drop a tool it gets "baked" into 2D and you can't do further editing on it except with 2.5D brushes. There is a sort of workaround where you place Markers that store rotation, position, scale and tool for every tool that you place in the canvas. And when you need to edit them you just clear the canvas and click the marker to place out the same tool with the same positioning. Obviously this is a very counterintuitive way of doing it. I wish the Layer system was robust enough to allow us to manipulate 2D objects in a way similar to photoshop.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'd keep them as subtools for the initial placements. Once you get something that can fill up most of your document, then drop it to the canvas so that you can pan/tile it and worry about filling in the remaining gaps with new bricks.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    just keep cloning your subtools and moving them, once your sure about the positions you can drop them to the 2.5d canvas to save on resources.