Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Freight Corp Truck

I'm going to be working on this model for school over the next few weeks. Since I'll end up going back and polishing it after it's turned in, I figured I'd post it here so I can build a solid foundation, making it easier to come back to later.

I started working on the blockout, and I'd love any feedback on it, as getting correct proportions is one of my biggest hang ups. The concept is by the talented Nick Carver, with his permission.

concept.jpg
freightcorp_blockout.png

Replies

• pixel scholar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start. For the most part I think you've nailed the structure and proportions however you've missed one of the beveled edges on the trailer portion of the vehicle. Right above the second wheel in the front you've got the corner of the trailer as a hard angle while all the rest of the edges have been broken up to indicate that they're beveled. Probably not that big of a deal but I thought I'd point it out.

Keep it up. Looks good.
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    I think your wheels look a little smaller than the concept art, which kind of throws off your bumper, maybe just tweak that.

Otherwise I think you have something really going here!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Proportions look like 95% correct, so good job there.
    Gotta say the concept has some areas i don't like. Hard to put a scale on the thing due to a lack of details. Also those wheels just look silly.
    I'd try to boost that a bit while you work, I suggest to do some research on how early on.
  • waffledoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Expanding on Xoliul's comment, the tires in the concept you're working from look super thin for a large load-bearing truck. The rim also seems to slope inward at like a 45 degree angle, and really deeply too, which seems weird for inflated tires. Even if they're supposed to be some sort of sci-fi non-rubber material, deviating from the concept wheels and aiming for a thicker "tire" and much less deeply set rim will I think help sell the final better.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    oh man ive always wanted to do this one. had the concept saved for quite a while. :D ill be watchin this.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I am in love with concept! I have had my eye on it for a while too! Good luck man!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. I didn't forget about this, I just have to finish some other school work before I can really focus on this.

pixel scholar - Hey Jeff, nice to see you posting here! I see what you mean about the bevel. I probably should have put that in before posting. Thanks for reminding me :)

GragGunslinger - Yeah, the wheels were giving me some trouble, which then screwed up the proportions of other bits. I think I have them a bit more accurate now. Thanks for the input!

Xoliul, waffledoodle - Great feedback guys, much appreciated. I agree with you about the wheels, and I'll adjust them for the actual model, without losing much of the style hopefully.

Skank - get back in your cage <3

Oniram, SaferDan - Yeah, Nick Carver is a beast :) I hope I do his work justice.

Here's a tweaked version of the blockout. Added some minor details and bevels, fixed the proportions a tad, and made the tires a bit bulkier. I'm fairly happy with where its at now, so unless anyone has any more suggestions for the shape or proportions, I'll start on the high poly when I get a chance.

Cheers :)

freightcorp_blockout_2.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    love the concept, its simple and cool

go! go! go!
  • pixel scholar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the fact that the rims protrude a bit now it looks cool.

One concern though, wouldn't the front tires run into that front fender when the thing makes turns?
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    No turns for Freightcorp! They're on a one-way trip to profit!

But in seriousness, I agree that its super snug, both in the concept and subsequently in your model. Good job with matching all the forms, but for the sake of functionality i wouldn't hesitate to deviate from the concept in this one instance. Besides, the depth of that fender doesn't compare with the overall beefyness of the rest of the design, so if you pop that thing out a tab and get a thicker thicker shadow cast along the wheel, I think it will read better anyway.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you're saying this model should actually make sense? Unheard of. Quit making me do more work.

*goes back to fix the damn fender*

<3
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting concept. Can't wait to see what you do with it :)