Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Dylan Dunford

Hey fellow Polycounters- My name is Dylan and I'm a long time reader.. I also comment on some things here and there. It's a great community !

I recently graduated (June 2010 -June 2011) at Think Tank Training Centre in North Vancouver. So I am now just working on building up a decent portfolio to obtain a job hopefully by the end of October... before I begin to panic about money and living in this expensive city!

I started training basic poly modeling a few months before going to school. So I guess I been hooked on CG for about a year and a few months now.

Heres my website- I'd appreciate any feedback / advice you guys can give !

http://www.korrax.com

I have a few other layout plans for the website which are better but I gotta finish up some more content first.. but I think the layout is fine for now !

Thanks in advance !

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Your site is very clean and pleasing to the eye, but the first thing I thought of when it opened is it should go right to the art and you should just ditch the updates page completely or just turn it into a blog. The bad thing with update pages is if somebody visits your page and your last update was months or even years ago it doesn't look so hot.

The final renders of your environment and your props look very nice however the wires reveal a lot of wasted polys, especially on the plane wreck environment. The other props I get that they are supposed to be high poly so I don't think the amount of ploys matter as much, I'm not too much of a prop artist so I can't really say that with 100% certainty. However personally I would like to see some of your high poly stuff projected onto optimized meshes, I think that will really do your portfolio a lot of good.
  • Korrax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I was planning on doing low poly versions. I am still unsure if I want to go into games or film as a prop modeler. My mentor told me polycount does not matter and the only thing that matters is that it looks good, which I dont really agree with.

Thanks for the feedback ! I'll adjust some blog things in my redesign- I do plan on having the default page go to the gallery as well.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Overall, contents looks great! Website is pretty and clean.
    I would replace the home page by the gallery, which is the most important page of your web site.
    You should write your name on the title, instead of Korrax, because recruiters won't know to who they are going to deal with. Also, your title is important too (prop modeler).
    You should also put the texture sheets, to show people how you made it. :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    The crashed plane environment is awesome, you should definitely show textures and stuff for that one. Reallt nice portfolio.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I'm with prior posters - the work is great, but there isn't nearly enough to justify splitting it up into four seperate thumbnails. The first thing I should see is that unbelievable place crash scene - not a lousy bottle. I actually was quite surprised to see such great work, given that the splash page gives it a kind amateur feel.

Again, though, great work. Lead with that plane crash scene, that's some AAA work you've got there.
  • Korrax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow ! thanks guys, Great feedback. I will move forward with my superior re-design soon with the homepage in mind.

I'm going to finish up this environment I'm on now first since its more important. I'll be making a WIP thread for it, so watch out for that :)