Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Mobile] 2D sidescroller

I am currently working on a Concept/Mockup/Prototype where I intend to mix simple 2D into a 3D environment. Blending both 2D art and 3D art to create a living vibrant world with simple means to fit the mobile platforms.

So here are some techniques I have available:
UV animation
Alpha animations
Simple vertex animations
Simple lighting (ambient maybe 1-2 pointlights)
Diffuse textures
Simple Animated Particles

I made some concepts and wound up with an arstyle I like and then made a mockup in maya. The grass and leaves are vertex animated as well as the water. Rings around objects in the water are UV animated as well as the waterfalls.

render.png

I then got the idea to mix in some other elements with the nature elements so I'm workin' on some concepts of that right now. Will post them as soon as they are done for feedback.

If anyone got any crits, ideas or solutions for mobile games feel free :)

Replies

• waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a pic of some wires. The scene is currently at 541 tris and around 2 x 1024x1024 maps (haven't been optimising any textures yet)

Mockup.jpg
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Keep the painterly style, like with the leaves. Some ares start to distract with the amount of detail, keep the style consistent.

When I first looked at it, it has a great mood and the lighting is nice and contrasting.

My only issue was with the leaves looking too real. I like the waterfall as well, gives a nice energy and movement to it, have you experimented with a waterfall shader? Like above it is a little realistic, but it doesn't take away. Perhaps you could push it with a more stylized waterfall.
  • VisualDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair: I agree about the leaves now that you point it out. I will try to get them to blend in with the rest of the pieces. About the waterfall, I had a more stylized version before but it stod out, I will give it another try to mix the realistic variant with something more stylized though.

Thanks for the crits.

Btw nice nick ;P
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some quick concepts of objects for the different themes. The Nature theme will be the standard theme and other objects will be added into it to change it up.

Concepts.jpg

I will build all objects in 3D, some will then be rendered to planes and some will remain in 3D keep the possibility to rotate them.

I realise that I answered last post with my work user, shit happens..
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a ground tile today, it sure is painful to create tiles. Anyway I just threw it into the scene. I intend to make a tile for where waterfalls run over the ground as well as a end tile. It is currently a 256x256 texture wrapped to a 8 polygon plane.

GroundTile.jpg

I didn't have time to fix the leaves or play with the waterfall but it is on the list. I love feedback so throw your guts out :)