Home General Discussion

Blender or 3d Max for the gaming industry

a-k-m
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
Hello,

I want to start working in the modelling/gaming industry as an 3d artist or environment/ level designer.

I started using blender a couple of years ago and stopped using it due to different lifestyle. In June this year I rediscovered my passion to 3d and decided that this time I am going to take it to another level.

I want to dedicate myself as much as possible to progress and hopefully in one year be able to start working as freelance 3d-artist.

Somewhere I've read that either cinema4d or 3d studio max are mainly used in the gaming industry. I really like blender and it would be a pain in the ass to learn all that basic stuff from the beginning for these programms.

My question now is: Does one have a chance to make money using blender in the professional industry? For sure there will be one or two exceptional artists that are really much better than everyone else...
But is blender accepted by professional studios? (For example: you make the models in blender and just save them as obj so they could work with them, etc...)

On the other hand I don't want to waste time progressing in blender if there is no demand for blender artists...

Furthermore, lately I was thinking a lot about attending a 3d arts course, but in forums a lot of opinions clearly showed that it is mostly a waste of money. It would be cool, if you could post your opinion to that, too...

Hope you can help me out!

Greetings Andr