Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M1 Garand (Game Ready WIP)

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Dagon polygon
I'm quite new to modelling guns and haven't actually successfully modelled or textured one as of yet so hopefully I'll learn something from this since I'm tired of not finishing anything :eek: Anyway I have a question though since some models of anything really whether it be a gun or a chair or a human some models come in as separate parts and some as whole models if you know what I mean what's the right way to do it? have the model as a whole (everything extruded) or having different parts separate from eachother? Anyway now to the rifle I'm having trouble actually getting it accurate especially the rear sight area... I hope to get this game ready since I want to get into the game developer industry for a living. Thank you for the feedback please post whatever you feel isn't right and whatever you can to help me get this as good as I can. Thank you :p

M1Garandren.png
M1GarandWire2.jpg
M1GarandWire.jpg

Replies

• Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    Nice garand ^^

For your question there I'd say the meshes generally won't need every single piece to be properly attached to each other. I've yet to hear a professional view on why myself though. I try to just make a real world comparison, fleshy pieces and the like generally cant detach so such things I make as one mesh. Mechanisms and things that aren't melded with the object in question can be much easier to make/rig/animate if they're separated.

As long as the different pieces are combined and treated like one mesh/object then the programs will keep track of it. But this is my view on it all :)
  • dickiegriffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dickiegriffin polycounter lvl 5
    Am I right in thinking that your referring to 'sinking geomerty'? were you have two elements/objects intsecting each other rarther than being welded together directly?

if so, Ive plently of intersecting bits on my current project. I never though there was a problem with it, until I got some feedback sugesting otherwise. Guess i'll find out soon enough and i'll be sure to let you know if i do.

nice model btw. You get a nice wood grain texture on there and it'll look lovely.