Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Centaur Sculpting Exercise

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Gonna echo the last couple of comments. It looks like we've stumbled upon the proverbial Yeti in a snowstorm.

Also, you could use a couple more tris to round out the rear thighs and ankles. Possibly the toes too.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    okay so here goes the wire.
    i cant realy decide between smooth edgeflow and going with the shape...
    also i noticed the baking errors at the hands (and the horns) too, but this is the shit you end up investing most time in fixing but noone will realy recognize if you dont.
    also the dif totaly wip, nothing but colored aos.
    screen3xk.jpg
    this is the lp with only the normal applied:
    screen4ip.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    awesome. thats looking much better than the max render. the normals came out great.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    now this is fun cause its actualy the max viewport :D
    or maby you are trolling X)
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    No he's not trolling, it definitely looks better simply because we can actually see the model instead of just a blob of white. It's a really clean, nice bake.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gonna be honest... first thought in my mind after seeing the wip shots on the first page was "I wonder what a fat centaur looks like..." XD
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    Goeddy wrote: »
    now this is fun cause its actualy the max viewport :D
    or maby you are trolling X)

no not at all. more often than not your model will look better realtime.. either max viewport (with 3point or xoliul shader), marmoset, etc.
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    This is an interesting, unusual design and it's well sculpted. It reminds me of a cross between Skeletor, Beast Man and Battlecat.

How are you going to tackle the eyes? They sort of look like the only unfinished part right now.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    @jmt
    actualy im not shure yet, maby there will be light coming out of it, maby fire or maby blood flowing out of the holes.
    i´ll first finish the diffuse and then see what fits best
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    This is pretty minor, but you might want to rethink the angle/curve/style of the smaller horns. I think that they would look better if they were angled lower to contrast with the larger horns. From what I saw in the most recent orthographic shots, I thought he only had 1 pair until I looked closer.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    quick update here. also found out why the first screen are so shitty... max somehow gets confused with systems gamma.
    scrn4.png
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    I love this man. Colors are nice and smooth and the black and skin is a nice palette. You've lost that detail of the runes actually imprinted in the skin though, they get flattened out. That's my favorite part about it and it's starting to look more like painted on runes.

Anywho, keep it up, looking nice all the way.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so here another update think im atleast 90% done
    scrn5.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I don't know, to me the texture doesn't look 90% done. For all the detail in the sculpt, the texture should lend itself to that. I mean, right now it looks like basic colours, AO, and some blood spatters and body-paint.
    Just keep on truckin', I'd say. But, this may just be my taste- who knows?

Looks good, regardless!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    @ Soopson
    didnt mean the texture is 90% done, i ment the whole character is about 90% done :P
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so i dont realy know if i can leave it with that.
    what is your opinion on the blood? should i leave it like this or remove the blood?
    scrn6.jpg
    scrn7.jpg
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Something about the overall colors could improved. I guess it is the amount of noise/loudness in the texture. He has a human skin tone base color, and on top of it black tribal tattoos, blood splatters, cuts, and white paint.

The horse tail seems kind of out of place. Something like a devil, bull, lizard or rat tail might fit the design better.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    darn i didnt plan this through... now i got to pay for that.
    not sure if this is much better, i addet some noise to the skin and cut all the blood stuff. also addet bit color balance.
    scrn8.jpg
    scrn9.jpg
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    he does look better with the noise. try to add more blue and red tone to the skin while keeping in mind the the more red part in the more muscular /vein areau and the more pale part in the bone area.
    also is there areason why he is covered by paint? is he some kind of deamon/centaur/ painter? :D i think that this white color is covering the the nice sculpting details that you have under and make it too noisy with all the ''tatoo''. you could replace that by something more subtle/transparent
    also one of the under arm have some disturbing stretching due to the pose (his left)
    and i agree with the tail. or maybe chage the color to a brown/black color to fit more your color sheme.
    anyway good work and im following this, cant waitto see it finish :D
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    I like the blue tattoo things more than black.
    Is the white stuff on his face paint or bones sticking through?
    His sternocleidomastoid muslces look disproportionately thin.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    thx for the feedback. i applied the color variations to the skin, and recognized especialy adding blue veins realy made an impact.
    also black tail now :)
    i think he will by now be officialy named the demon painter.
    original idea was some sort of war paint... but why does a demon need warpaint... and why - ah fuck this, hes white, deal with it :P

also mad the tats slightly bluer^^
    also @jmt white stuff on the face is paint :)
    and the sternocleidomastoid was mentioned some times before, i encreased his size, but yeah hes still way too small X(

anyway i took this where it belongs - into an engine - and he looks good :]
    i think im there is still some potential in here, but i will leave it at this anyway. maby ill do some animations on him when i feel like animating.
    right now there are more pressing matters, my portfolio realy needs environment.
    inengine1.jpg
    finaly i´d like to thank all of you for the helpfull critique, i think you realy helped me improve this character.
    i know he still has flaws but hes way better then what i could have achieved alone.
    big THX :)