Home Unreal Engine

looking for help

Hi
My name is Sean I am extremely new to udk , while I know very little about udk I know a great deal about modeling and level design. My experience comes from making custom maps for halo 2 vista. Although an old engine it is capable of making some pretty nice stuff and I learned a great deal about tags and shaders and such. I am learning about udk and hope to sometime soon feel as comfortable as I felt with halo 2’s engine. That’s me.

some of my work
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg715/scaled.php?server=715&filename=00079s.jpg&res=medium
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg156/scaled.php?server=156&filename=00078o.jpg&res=medium
My idea.

Usually when someone new would come into halo’s forums and propose some amazing project hoping to get people to follow them they would be laughed at and looked down upon. But I ask you to bear with me for the next few minutes to listen to my idea and look at it without prejudice towards my inexperience, listen to it with an open mind, and consider its possibility.

Starwars battle front 2 released on November 1 2005, held an 84/100 score by Gamerankings , in 2007 it was listed as the most played game on the xbox, it and star wars battle front 1 have sold millions of copies and many people myself and several of my friends included still play it to this day.
For any of you who aren’t familiar with the game, here is what its like: its astar wars based game that attempts to make the universe more traversable, and is extremely fun to play.

My idea is to recreate the game in udk’s engine making some significant changes to magnify the aspects of the original that make it great. I would like to expand the feeling of freedom you feel when you are flying through space, and revive that han solo in all of us.
The original game was much like any game of today, it has several multiplayer and campaign maps. Its maps are based off of planets from the star wars universe. Some of the maps are in space above planets and some are on the planets themselves. The significant change that I spoke of is to bridge the gap between space and planets and even planets themselves. Each planet will have one or two cities, but the rest of the planet, although still accessible will be empty. For example tatooine will have a ground map that covers the entire planet but the bulk are which is important will be the city on one side of the planet everything else is empty desert. Each planet will have an area of outer space which extends out from the planet a certain lengh and then has a soft boundary.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg153/scaled.php?server=153&filename=diagram1l.png&res=medium
Imagine this; a multiplayer game starts with two teams at opposite edges of the playable universe in the middle of nowhere with 2-3 mother ships (either a republic cruiser or a cis cruiser). The objective is to conquer a certain number of planets and hold them until the time runs out. Each planet is neutral at the start of the game and can be won simply by landing on it and waiting for 15 seconds. You can travel to any planet in the universe by charting a course through hyper space on your mother ship (controlled by the team captain) going through hyper space stops all movement in the ship (nobody can move) and jumps to a third person view of the mother ship traveling through the tunnel of stars we are used to seeing when someone goes the speed of light. During that time the engine is actually loading the planetary map that we charted a course to. Once on that planet we find that it has been captured by our opposing team. So instead of waiting 15 seconds we have to decide whether or not we wish to fight to capture this territory. If we choose to fight we land on the surface of the planet and try to capture command posts. Command posts are locations with an easily identifiable object that we must stand near unopposed for a set amount of time till its owned by your team. Our team wins the planet, but we must capture more planets to win the game. So we chart a course to another planet, say coruscant. When we arrive we find that our opposing team has set up a trap for us. They have place several players in space crafts above the planet to intercept our mother ship and defend their planet. As the battle rages on the opposing team sends a boarding craft onto our ship and enters our engine room, they then set explosive charges and destroy our engines. We can no longer go to hyperspace, we can only travel within the confines of our planet. But not to worry. Because if we land on the planet with our mother ship, we can repair our engines, with the engineer class (one of five classes: engineer, infantry, sniper, amphibian, and pilot)
So that is a general synopsis of my idea . It has its own set of challenges: gravity for a planet that’s round, mass amounts of programming, and mass amounts of modeling/texturing. But it is never easy to make something amazing.