Home General Discussion

What's the Best website for finding a mod or gamedev team?

For about a year now I've joined teams and the projects either flopped due to members bailing or a roster where no one knew what it took to complete the game.(i.e. no one is on board that knows rigging well enough or the programmers are very inexperienced)

My school didn't offer me an oppurtunity to work as part of a team and grow from people who are better than me.

I really want that but i've been unsuccessful for quite sometime as I tried to find the right group.i can only improve but so much on my own.

Should I give up trying to find a group, and focus on books an tutorials?I feel like i would benefit more if I'm able to apply what i know in a gamedev environment surronded by others who know what they're doing.I'd then be able to learn their techniques as well, beit texturing ,polycount management,workflow,etc.

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.moddb.com/

This site has a good view of a lot of the mod teams out there and what they have accomplished. Maybe it will help.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Agreed, moddb is a good place to scout out some mods.

You could always look in this forum as well http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Jacecr wrote: »
    For about a year now I've joined teams and the projects either flopped due to members bailing or a roster where no one knew what it took to complete the game.(i.e. no one is on board that knows rigging well enough or the programmers are very inexperienced)

You just have to get used to that. From my experience, if you are lucky enough to get on a team that has a few driven competent people it still has a good chance of falling apart because the talented people will get hired away and won't have time to contribute.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    http://www.Moddb.com
    http://www.polycount.com :poly121:
    http://www.game-artist.net
    http://www.udk.com
    http://www.gamedev.net

All I can think of so far :icon3:

Good luck and I hope you find a great team!
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can say I only vouch for www.moddb.com as the most reliable.

The main thing is to keep at mind when joining any mod. No matter how shitty they may be, or how professionally fantastic they are at producing. The best frame of mind is to just be the "Artist" for whatever you are to create. At best, do it at your best possible.

Doing this will essentially keep the project alive and all aboard motivated. Because if your dependency is based on peoples performances. Then you will surely be disappointed beyond comprehension as to why you joined to begin with, and you will dissect the mod to it's rotten core as to find yourself hating these projects. Then shortly after joining, to leave them with or without a trace of acknowledgement.

I would definitely clarify to say search for the mod teams that have an adequate amount of work produced before joining aboard, and know that if a solid programmer is about. Because if you can't, then its going to be a bad roadblock.

In the meantime, search and watch, and practice with tutorials for proper guidance in improving your skill set.
  • megalmn2000
  • Jacecr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks all,I signed up on moddb and someone else told me about indiedb, they seem affiliated. I was wondering if i should also throw epic forums in the mix ,as an option, as well.Unreal is the engine I'm most familiar with right now.

@CrazyMatt I like your idea of trying to join up with a group that has a certain percentage of work done.

The first group I found on moddb seems to have work put in and "SEEMS" like they got it together.I spoke to the guy in charge of the group and he was interested in having me.The sad thing is communication is horrible.It takes about a month for him to respond to an email and that wouldn't make for a good experience, i'm sure.

Another group I found is one on Linked in.I'm the only artist so where it stands, I wouldn't be learning anything.I'd just be modeling, knowing something is wrong with my work, and not knowing what to do about it.Which is how it's been for the most part.

I must say polycount has been great, but I usually find out where all my problems lie after I've already textured, baked, etc.

In a group someone would have more of an idea of what I was supposed to be doing and stop me before it's too late.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In a group someone would have more of an idea of what I was supposed to be doing and stop me before it's too late.

all the mods I worked on usually turned out to be a bunch of people independently working on assets - usually we had a private forum so it was like pimping & previews except we were all working on the same project - typically had little to no feedback.
  • Jacecr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Justin, I'm sure you could contact the people in the group if you were having trouble with something or wanted someone's opinion.

For the last 4 projects I was a part of I was the only modeler/artist and I know my work needs improvement.( 2 of the projects started with a few artists and modelers, while the other 2 could never find someone else to join)
    I guess I just have to accept that. But it's just tough when you spend time working on assets and you know they should be better but you don't know how to improve it.

A perfect example is a tank I posted on here some time ago.The tank had so many things wrong with it but i didn't know until everyone on polycount told me what was wrong.

I'm not supposed to post any of my work from any project I'm working on until the project is done.So I can't even take advantage of the help I could get from polycount.

Of the 4 projects i've been a part of only one is complete.A tower defense game. (one programmer and 1 modeler and we started with 4 modelers ...briefly)

With permission I posted assets on polycount.A mana well, a cannon , a dragon and I think a few other things.I learned alot from the criticism but it's a shame I couldn't even see another person's take on anything during the project.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Justin, I'm sure you could contact the people in the group if you were having trouble with something or wanted someone's opinion.

I was just giving you an insight into my 6 or so years of doing mods - I'm not in that scene anymore.
  • Jacecr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justin ,I appreciate it, thanks.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9

A perfect example is a tank I posted on here some time ago.The tank had so many things wrong with it but i didn't know until everyone on polycount told me what was wrong.

I'm not supposed to post any of my work from any project I'm working on until the project is done.So I can't even take advantage of the help I could get from polycount.

TBH I think alot of mod groups have their heads stuck firmly up their asses. Folks get so caught up in being a professional company they they cant see the wood for the trees.
    Mods are about doing something you enjoy, learning and getting better. If your not getting all of the above your just free labour.